[SOLVED] PSU compatibility

Jun 17, 2020
I have the ASUS WS Z390 MB, and i accidentally purchased the CORSAIR - CX-M Series 650W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Bronze Modular Power Supply, come to find out that its not compatible with my MB just because it only has 1 8 pin and my MB has 2. Can i still use the power supply?

Also, from what i understand i can. i will need the second pin if im seriously overclocking. What indications will i receive that i need the second 8 pin connected?

Solution
You won't need the second 8 pin.

If for some reason you did want to LN2 overclock and would exceed the current provided by an 8 pin, you might run into melted wires if you consistently draw more than 335w for an extended time period
You will not need the second 8 pin unless you have an i9 CPU and are using exotic cooling (chiller/ln2)

After doing some research a single 8 pin seems to be able to provide over 335w. At stock, a top-end 9900k/ks will only draw less than 250w under the worst scenarios. Even with overclocking on-air or using water with a top-end i9, you will not run into issues with a single 8 pin connected.

Jun 17, 2020
You will not need the second 8 pin unless you have an i9 CPU and are using exotic cooling (chiller/ln2)

After doing some research a single 8 pin seems to be able to provide over 335w. At stock, a top-end 9900k/ks will only draw less than 250w under the worst scenarios. Even with overclocking on-air or using water with a top-end i9, you will not run into issues with a single 8 pin connected.

I have an i9-9900k, and a Dark Rock 4 cooler.