Question PSU Corsair RM maybe dead after lightning not sure looking for opinions / need advice

JonasTechButchery

Reputable
Mar 11, 2021
So I sell PC parts as a proxy I got some experience in electronic but not the kind needed so I have to ask those who know better then myself out of caution...

So this guy bough Corsair RM 650 modular from me and one day he came back home and his PC wont start... half of devices in his home RIP... lightning strike nearby his condo carried current to his flat and well... So I felt bad I gave him new PSU in exchange for his + 60% cash value... And now I think the PSU he returned actually works but I am terrified of trying it...
His PC was fine after installing his old PSU...

1) There was no smell coming out of it... nor there is smell now... just would not start...
2) Electronic looks perfectly fine
3) 8pin CPU cable was torn the wire +12v came out cable 20cm length fully exposed and when I touched it I got stung not bad just bit zapped.

My theory is that his PC would not start because of the short in the 8pin CPU cable or high current trapped in the modular 8pin bay...

What are the odds that only one modular bay is damaged and others work fine?
What are the odds PSU is totally fine once I get rid of 8pin modular and put in a fresh one?
I have multi metre device that is rated 1000v protection, could I somehow try inspect specific pins with absolute safety and with that know that it works... ?

Lutfij

Titan
And now I think the PSU he returned actually works but I am terrified of trying it...
What makes you think the PSU is fine? You might want to contact Corsair and see if they can RMA the unit or replace it for a small fee to help you stock your shelf.

Can you elaborate what you mean by modular bay?

What are the odds PSU is totally fine once I get rid of 8pin modular and put in a fresh one?
None, if the unit is compromised, you don't keep it around healthy PC parts.

Reactions: JonasTechButchery

JonasTechButchery

Reputable
Mar 11, 2021
And now I think the PSU he returned actually works but I am terrified of trying it...
What makes you think the PSU is fine? You might want to contact Corsair and see if they can RMA the unit or replace it for a small fee to help you stock your shelf.

Can you elaborate what you mean by modular bay?

None, if the unit is compromised, you don't keep it around healthy PC parts.
They won't RMA lightning strikes, here it counts as "act of god or higher power" non warranty applicable...

Modular PSU has these separate connectors to attach stuff each connector has their smd and ceramic capacitor which makes me think it has separate modules kind a like a ship... and only one out of many departments "modular bays" is gone compromised/dead/fried (the one where current ripped the rubber around 12v wire open...) I don't have enough understanding of how modular PSU works.

It is "compromised" yes but could it just be the cable causing the short? I'm thinking of trying it on very old useless core 2 duo motherboard with "flaws" that has been sitting in storage... like a sacrifice goat...

I too assumed it was dead RIP... but what if the cable ripping caused wire to touch metal in his desktop case causing short that prevents PC from starting...

I have seen PC's where people tried to 2 molex adapt 8pin for CPU and one pin fell out since it was cheap China made and touched PC case and that prevented PC from starting... this could be the same thing... 12v on CPU was ripped out touching PC case (possibly/likely) or maybe even the MB itself... and that sort makes me very curious if this thing actually works fine...