[SOLVED] PSU Crackling Problem

Jan 5, 2019
This problem has been going on for a while, crackling only happens when I move the PC or the power cable even a little bit, causing the case to not get any power. Turning power switch off and on fixes this and I had no problems when the PC was on but I am concerned about if this will lead to a dangerous situation. What should I do?

PSU: Thermaltake Smart 750W 80+ Bronze

Solution
Can you identify and provide more information about the location or source of the crackling?

Unplug the power cable from the wall outlet and inspect the cable for damage or signs of bare metal showing.

What about the wall outlet itself? You may need to have the outlet checked to ensure that it is fully functional and safe.

My thought is a loose connection somewhere.

You will need to turn off and unplug the computer. Then open the case and look for a loose connection or loose component near the location of the crackling sound.

If you are not comfortable with opening the computer case get a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

Has the computer ever been cleaned inside the case?

If not, do so. Again, power off...

Ralston18

Titan
Can you identify and provide more information about the location or source of the crackling?

Unplug the power cable from the wall outlet and inspect the cable for damage or signs of bare metal showing.

What about the wall outlet itself? You may need to have the outlet checked to ensure that it is fully functional and safe.

My thought is a loose connection somewhere.

You will need to turn off and unplug the computer. Then open the case and look for a loose connection or loose component near the location of the crackling sound.

If you are not comfortable with opening the computer case get a knowledgeable family member or friend to help.

Has the computer ever been cleaned inside the case?

If not, do so. Again, power off, unplugged, and follow the "how-to" instructions very carefully.

Solution