PSU dead after cooling pump dies?

Justin Echlin

Honorable
Feb 7, 2014
So this all started a while ago, i have the deepcool genome case which has an integrated cooling system, and my pump started making weird noises, and one day i found my pc off when it previously was on throughout the night. I turned it on and the pump made a horrible screech and then it all shut off. Got the cooling system replaced and installed and when i went to turn my pc on nothing happened. I hear like a click noise coming from the psu i think. Tried to jump the mobo pins and it just clicks. Mobo light is on and green and the LAN light is on. It came down to me doing the paperclip test and the psu still just clicks, no fan spinup or anything. Just a click when i turn it on and a delayed click after i turn it off. So did my psu like, die as well?

Solution
It sounds like the fan in the PSU might have died, and it refuses to turn on properly. Since the alternative is a dead PSU, crack it open and test the fan. ASSUMING YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. There's mains power in there and the caps can hold a high voltage for ages.
A dying pump could have shorted and taken out the transistors or rectifier in the PSU.

iamacow

Admirable
If you tried to jump it and nothing happens than I consider it a dead PSU. maybe the PSU took out the AIO unit as it was dying. Who knows, i've seen all kinds of weird stuff. But the simple paper clip tests gives you an idea if the PSU is working or now.

GruntBlender

Prominent
Mar 26, 2017
It sounds like the fan in the PSU might have died, and it refuses to turn on properly. Since the alternative is a dead PSU, crack it open and test the fan. ASSUMING YOU KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING. There's mains power in there and the caps can hold a high voltage for ages.
A dying pump could have shorted and taken out the transistors or rectifier in the PSU.

Solution