[SOLVED] PSU failure after cleaning it with air blower while PC was running ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 22, 2021
Hello there,

i want to ask about my problem yesterday.
So, yesterday i just blew my psu using air duster while my PSU is running (i knew it is wierd..but i did it ..) and suddenly my whole house electricity is down.
After i turn on all of my electricity, I discovered that my PSU is not working anymore. My PSU is Enermax DF 850w 80+ gold...

My questions are :
  • Is it prohibited to blow dust from PSU while PC is running? Im using air duster that have 33000 rpm.
  • Can it damage my GPU/mobo/other components ?

thanks guys.

Last edited:
Solution
Eh, it's possible i guess, you could've induced the static electricity in the unit by moving dirt and air and it killed some sensitive component there, like one of the ICs maybe. Dusting it while it's online wasn't a very smart move but i fail to see how exactly that would be different from when it was unpowered regarding that dust moving around and building up static electricity. Maybe existing potentials in the working PSU helped that to happen easier. Whether that could or could not damage other components depends on the exact failure mode so we can't tell.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Eh, it's possible i guess, you could've induced the static electricity in the unit by moving dirt and air and it killed some sensitive component there, like one of the ICs maybe. Dusting it while it's online wasn't a very smart move but i fail to see how exactly that would be different from when it was unpowered regarding that dust moving around and building up static electricity. Maybe existing potentials in the working PSU helped that to happen easier. Whether that could or could not damage other components depends on the exact failure mode so we can't tell.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.