[SOLVED] PSU failure? Opinion

System;
i5-3570k @4.5Ghz -1.29v if I remember right
Asus formula v mobo
7970oc
PSU - corsair AX850

This system is almost 6 years old without any changes (added usb card last week actually, dunno if that would be of any significance)

--------------------------------------
Long story short, gamed on it last night, everything as working fine, no weird/random shutdowns ever. This morning I wanted to go on for a bit before work, but When I pressed the power button, nothing happens, not even the fans for a split second. although seems like standby lights are on, on the mobo (which doesn't really mean much either, just extra detail)

I didn't have time this morning to check anything thoroughly, but I've tried to use the mobo power button instead of the PC Case one, as well as just replied main connections on mobo.

In my mind, I'm certain it's the PSU... But I just want to get a second opinion before I go out and buy one.

Any thoughts? Thanks

Solution
Step one, unplug it from the wall for a good while. Sometimes PSUs will react to a power surge and go into a mode where they won't start, thinking something is wrong. Check your powerstrip. Check that power is being delivered properly to the outlet it is plugged into.

Step two, remove the power supply from the system. Short pin 16 to ground (green to black)(or google, "paperclip test") See if the power supply comes on on its own. If it does, that means something in the computer has broken with a short.

Step three (if power supply runs) Remove all extraneous hardware from the computer. In your case that means you only need the CPU, Motherboard, and one stick of ram to boot. Give that a try. Swap memory sticks to see if any one of them...

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Step one, unplug it from the wall for a good while. Sometimes PSUs will react to a power surge and go into a mode where they won't start, thinking something is wrong. Check your powerstrip. Check that power is being delivered properly to the outlet it is plugged into.

Step two, remove the power supply from the system. Short pin 16 to ground (green to black)(or google, "paperclip test") See if the power supply comes on on its own. If it does, that means something in the computer has broken with a short.

Step three (if power supply runs) Remove all extraneous hardware from the computer. In your case that means you only need the CPU, Motherboard, and one stick of ram to boot. Give that a try. Swap memory sticks to see if any one of them is the problem. Slowly re-add hardware until it stops booting. (You can even leave fans unplugged for brief tests)

Solution
first, make sure you outlet or power bar has power.

a quick test will be get the pin out. and test the voltage with a dmm.
pintout on the 24pin atx connector.

https://binged.it/2CJDJSj

disconnect all your component and leave just the psu, you can turn the psu on by shorting the green wire with any of the black wire with a paper clip then test the voltage on the different rails using the pinout.

if you see weird readings, likely it's your psu, otherwise it could be the motherboard.

Thanks for replies. I was way too lazy to do that this morning lol...

Uhhh I came home and my PC was ON..... Shut it down then started.... No prob, gamed for half hour, no prob.

Quick Google suggested check capacitors on mobo, otherwise likely psu. At this time it's going to be harder to diagnose since it's working... But I've borrowed a psu (hopefully it has required pins, it's from 2011 750w)

check to see if your power supply buy it serial number is in warranty if it is see how much longer those older units had 10 years some times or longer on them. use hardware info set it to logging and sensor see if the 12v rail fine. one issue is if the power supply fan stop working the power supply may have shut down from over heat.