Question PSU fan (?) making a kind of rattling noise every so often

duftutta

Honorable
Feb 13, 2016
I'm having an annoying issue with my PC, namely an annoying rattling noise coming from inside my case. I think that the PSU is the culprit - in fact I turned it upside down (so the fan faced up) to try and fix the issue, and when the sound came back it was noticibly louder. I checked a couple of times for wires/cable ties/anything blocking the fan and from what I could tell there wasn't, but I could check again. I'd like to clarify that my PC is running just fine, I've had no issues in games or with temperatures or anything as far as I can tell. It's just really, really annoying.

I uploaded some videos with the hopes of illustrating what this sounds like.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKX3DCqgqCU

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsBQDxundxs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_nfAeCIxXE

(the third one is with the camera up against the psu, in that one you can hear the sound around 1:18)

Put a paper tube to your ear and use that to pinpoint the location of the sound.
Sometimes psu fan bearings do wear out.
Particularly if the psu is underpowered and the cooling fan needs to work hard.
What is the make/model of your psu?
Perhaps it is time for an upgrade.

duftutta

Honorable
Feb 13, 2016
Put a paper tube to your ear and use that to pinpoint the location of the sound.
I tried this and it was rather cumbersome. I couldn't really pinpoint the sound this way, but the third video I uploaded (filming right next to the PSU) had the loudest sound so I've assumed for a while the sound is coming from there.
What is the make/model of your psu?
Corsair TX550M, bought and fitted last summer to replace a cheaper EVGA one that died. Last october I started uni and didn't bring my PC when I went, so there were long periods of time where my pc would be sitting doing nothing. It'd kinda suck to have to buy yet another PSU in the space of under a year..

I tried this and it was rather cumbersome. I couldn't really pinpoint the sound this way, but the third video I uploaded (filming right next to the PSU) had the loudest sound so I've assumed for a while the sound is coming from there.

Corsair TX550M, bought and fitted last summer to replace a cheaper EVGA one that died. Last october I started uni and didn't bring my PC when I went, so there were long periods of time where my pc would be sitting doing nothing. It'd kinda suck to have to buy yet another PSU in the space of under a year..
Your psu has a 5 year warranty and Corsair is good about handling RMA's.
If you contact them, you may be able to setup a cross shipment so you are not out of operation.

If you explain the situation, Corsair might allow a cross shipment rma exchange.
You give them your credit card and they potentially charge it for the price of the replacement.
Once you get the replacement and send back the defective unit, they will cancel the charge.