PSU for 970

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raniyasa

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Well as it says in the title I'm getting a gtx 970 and a new PSU. I don't really have a limit to the budget but I want the best bang for the buck. I will probably go for SLI later so I need it to have enough power for that as well. I want a quiet and stable one that will last a couple of years.
Thank you.

Solution
Well it really is a question of how much wattage you need. What's components do you currently use?

What i suggest is a modular supply to keep things neat and tidy.

In my sig you will see what components i used in my build. I'm using a Corsair CX750M supply and drawing only 400-500W of power while stress testing (I use a wall socket power meter). 750W supply is going to be plenty enough for a 970 build unless you have some other crazy components to go with it. CPU for example.... we know some AMD cpu's have a much higher TDP then intel's etc etc

I would avoid the TX750 as it's not a modular power supply...I guess that's personal preference but at the slight extra cost, wouldn't you rather have something that's neater and easier to...

mosti

Honorable
May 26, 2013
Well it really is a question of how much wattage you need. What's components do you currently use?

What i suggest is a modular supply to keep things neat and tidy.

In my sig you will see what components i used in my build. I'm using a Corsair CX750M supply and drawing only 400-500W of power while stress testing (I use a wall socket power meter). 750W supply is going to be plenty enough for a 970 build unless you have some other crazy components to go with it. CPU for example.... we know some AMD cpu's have a much higher TDP then intel's etc etc

I would avoid the TX750 as it's not a modular power supply...I guess that's personal preference but at the slight extra cost, wouldn't you rather have something that's neater and easier to work with?

Corsair CX750m....because I was once asking the same questions as you and it's what I chose after doing the research ;) Look around, google the CX750M and you will see just how highly rated this supply is for its price bracket.

Solution
"I would avoid the TX750 as it's not a modular power supply...I guess that's personal preference but at the slight extra cost, wouldn't you rather have something that's neater and easier to work with?"

What have you been reading? The TX750 is on one of toms top tier list. CX's don't nearly get to there, and certainly aren't quality corsair products. I fail to comprehend why you have that in your build, the capacitors are not and never were designed for overclocking.

mosti

Honorable
May 26, 2013

The CX750M supply is a great product and with a $40 cheaper price tag, I see the slightly "better capacitors" to be something not to worry about not to mention the TX series is not a modular supply. $40 is $40 and he has not mentioned anything about overclocking etc. The CX750M is a great product for its price range.

I'm running 2 GTX 970's in sli which are both overclocked, and my i7 3770k is overclocked to 4.7Ghz.... the corsair CX750M supply is a quality product for its price range and any review you read will tell you the same. Sure, I can tell him to get something in the $150 price bracket...but then I may aswell tell him to go for sli 980's and an i7 extreme.

mosti

Honorable
May 26, 2013

Do you know what the role of a capacitor in a power supply is? It does the job and I have proved that with my build. He may not even be looking to overclock (cx750m will do it anyway).

I touched wood when i wrote this btw. Point is, all the benchmarking etc they do with capacitors etc etc....they're just trying to find something to put one product on top of the other but in reality, it does not cement a $40 increase in price. I'd much rather focus on standard efficiency.

You're comparing a $110 supply to a $79 supply. Perhaps I'll compare a $179 supply to your $110?

Nice explanation of the capacitor. I did not say overcocking will kill the PSU or fry it, it is not recommended and not everyone has the same outcome as you may have.

You may not have issues with the CX but that does not mean everyone else doesn't.

"I see the slightly "better capacitors" to be something not to worry about not to mention the TX series is not a modular supply. "

Where'd you get this information from?

I'm comparing the quality of the power supplies in which you believe are non-existent.

I'd recommend a quality product before getting into the features. CX is a budget PSU, not recommended for high loads, even wondered why the caps are said to be low quality? They us CapXon, one of the worst cap manufacturer, and simply put, their caps melt on continous high load, not only resulting in PSU failure, but even risking other components.

Modularism is a feature of PSU, not a deciding factor unless the OP has extremely tiny case, and even then I'd avoid CXM. If your build works on a low quality PSU, doesn't mean its a great one. The fact remains, as mentioned, the caps of this PSU are low grade, and just won't be good for SLI setup which puts high loads on PSU.

EVGA B2/G2 or Corsair AX/TX/HX or Rosewill Capstone or any SeaSonic or Antec (700W+) are great PSUs, much better quality than CX. And almost all except some Corsairs and Antecs are under $100.

It's better to be safe than sorry.

mosti

Honorable
May 26, 2013

What information? The fact that I don't see "better capacitors" as an arguable point to choosing a psu when there is a CONSIDERABLE price difference? It's not information it's an opinion. Or are you talking about TX series not being modular? Well that is actual fact.

Capacitors have two jobs. Maintain a constant DC voltage and eliminate any residual AC ripple from the DC output. At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what brand of capacitor is used, they still need to follow a standard and that standard with the CX750M is to supply 750watts at an 80%+ efficiency which is BACKED with a 3 year warranty.

Go look at user reviews of the CX series around the web...the USER REVIEWS speak for themselves. I don't care what some nerd says when he pokes and prods his multimeter around for 5mins in a supply. New egg has 154 USER REVIEWS on the CX750M power supply. It is rated 4/5, it is modular and it's bronze standard with a company that has a solid customer service base and it is $79.

I didn't say it was modular, and I also don't seeing modular being an advantage either. Don't change up my wording. Choosing better capacitors is of course an arguable point, I fail to see how it isn't. CX/CXM units are not designed to operate under high loads or even recommended to overclock with, the capacitors simply aren't rated for those kind of situations. High currents and high temperatures just don't shout the CX.

Your basing your opinion off user experience? Half of the people have no clue what a good power supply is to start with.

"company that has a solid customer service base."

Corsair don't even make it, OEM CWT does. CX's are also bought frequently because people think "Corsair....They must be good".

"bronze standard "

Efficiency rating, not quality. Efficiency is poor when under load, not to mention when overclocking parts also.

mosti

Honorable
May 26, 2013

CX750M is a great bang for buck supply for any intermediate build with general overclocks. Lets leave it at that.

-> " I will probably go for SLI later" Directly from OP's first post.

That's not intermediate, get a properly certified PSU from Toms Tier 1/2 list. Depending on which GTX 970 some already have decent overclocks, I am sure many would want to overclock higher, especially if "I want a quiet and stable one that will last a couple of years.". Your choice OP.

mosti

Honorable
May 26, 2013
http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/psu/55065-corsair-cx-series-modular-cx600m-atx-power-supply/?page=3

"PSU manufacturers have played on the fact that bigger is better when talking about PSUs. But the truth is that a modern mainstream PSU has enough clout to power a high-end build, and there's little reason to look past 600W unless you really are running heavily-overclocked systems with multiple graphics cards.

Corsair's CX600M semi-modular supply represents a very good compromise between absolute performance and cost. Available for £60 and able to output above-average efficiency, regulation and ripple, spending substantially more simply results in hugely diminishing returns.

No supply is perfect, and we would like to see Corsair ship an extra couple of PCIe graphics cables, but that's it as far as we are concerned. Corsair ably demonstrates that you don't need to spend a fortune on your next PSU upgrade, and we'd be inclined to put the CX600M on a pretty short list for your next purchase."

"The Good

Excellent price-to-performance ratio
Aggressively priced
Solid regulation, efficiency and noise
Flat cabling is a nice touch

The Bad

Could do with two more PCIe graphics cables"

http://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/corsair-builder-series-modular-cx600m-psu-review/
Rated 9/10
"The Corsair CX600M is undoubtedly a very high value for money power supply. This Builder Series range is specifically designed to target the budget audience who want a reliable, stable power supply"
Pros:
remarkable price point.
semi modular.
great finish quality.
decent little bundle.
solid all round performer.
old school internal design is stable.
Cons:
None at the price.

Status
Not open for further replies.