Question PSU for RTX 2070 Super

Dec 30, 2019
Hi guys,

I have a question in regard to if it is SAFE to power on my newly upgraded PC.

So.. I just bought:
MB: Asus rog strix b450-f
GPU: RTX 2070 super
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600x (on sale)

Now. I'm thought I could use my old PSU for the setup, but after reading the minimum requirements on the GPU I have started to have some doubts. It says it minimum needs 650W.

My PSU: Coolmaster RS-700-AMBA-D3.

On the PSU it says it has different connectors. One 12V with 600W and a 5V and a 3.3V with combined 185W.

Is this PSU sufficient or will I damage my new hardware if I turn on the PC?

You probably won't damage it just by turning the system on. But, as you've noticed that PSU isn't very good quality because they're calculating the max wattage by adding the lower voltage power rails to the main +12V rail.

I'd say that PSU will power your system. But damage could be a possibility down the road while using it under full gaming load. I'd absolutely recommend buying a new, good quality PSU.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2019
You probably won't damage it just by turning the system on. But, as you've noticed that PSU isn't very good quality because they're calculating the max wattage by adding the lower voltage power rails to the main +12V rail.

I'd say that PSU will power your system. But damage could be a possibility down the road while using it under full gaming load. I'd absolutely recommend buying a new, good quality PSU.
Thanks for your answer. I still find it rather confusing. On the product page for the PSU they write:
Single 12V Power Rail
This singular stout 12V power rail maximizes power control to connected elements with 80A flowing through it, reducing the need for load balancing on multiple rails.
Which means it has a peak effect of (I assume the 12V are peak value?!) 12V * 80 A = 960W (peak). Which translates into an RMS effect of 960/sqrt(2) = 679W.

The product page also says that the PSU has en efficiency of 85%. But I don't know if the numbers (12V and 80A) already accounts for the 85 % efficiency. If not the actual RMS value of the 12V rail is only 577W.

I have read some other posts on this forum that says the RTX 2070 super can run with 550W without any problems. Though I think it is all very confusing. And the PSU manufactors should really determine a standard of how they write their numbers. Bucause some manufacturs use RMS values. Others use Peak values. Some sum all the rails while others do not. It is a freaking jungle.

Anyway, I too think that the system will run with my current PSU, but I wanted to get another opinion just in case! So thanks a lot for your advise :)