PSU fried my components?

TexKalashnikov

Reputable
Jan 28, 2016
So I started up my brand new build the other day to the wonderful smell of burning plastic. Immediately turned it off and started to pull out components to see what fried. My 2tb Western Digital Black smelled burnt, so I assumed that it was the culprit, but when I started my computer with only my SSD plugged in, Windows had been corrupted and my water cooler seemed to be dead as well. Used a different cord and power supply and nothing has changed. Is there anything else that could cause this besides the PSU?

Its a Corsair AX860 PSU and only a year old.

Solution
The most common thing is when building the system and if you had to fit the brass standoffs to the motherboard mounting plate of the case is, if your first ever system build.

You fitted one where there was no screw hole on the motherboard.
So you caused a short circuit on the back of the motherboard due to the brass standoff touching the back side of the motherboard somewhere.

When you fit a motherboard to a case or the mounting plate for the motherboard.
You should always offer the board up taking note of the alignment of holes on the motherboard then adding the brass standoffs to the motherboard mounting plate of the case and double check it for any miss aligned standoffs or extra ones.

So if you take the board out you will no...
The most common thing is when building the system and if you had to fit the brass standoffs to the motherboard mounting plate of the case is, if your first ever system build.

You fitted one where there was no screw hole on the motherboard.
So you caused a short circuit on the back of the motherboard due to the brass standoff touching the back side of the motherboard somewhere.

When you fit a motherboard to a case or the mounting plate for the motherboard.
You should always offer the board up taking note of the alignment of holes on the motherboard then adding the brass standoffs to the motherboard mounting plate of the case and double check it for any miss aligned standoffs or extra ones.

So if you take the board out you will no doubt see where the short was plus the extra brass standoff that should not of been fitted.
The board is likely dead now along with the hard drives ect, or may only be part working.

Solution