[SOLVED] PSU Limiting RX580 4gb Performance?

Jul 30, 2021
PC Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 5 2600
GPU - Shappire Nitro+ RX580 4gb
Mobo - Gigabyte B450M S2H
PSU - CoolerMaster 450w Bronze (quite old)

Recently purchased an rx580 4gb off a miner. Had issues with the bios, but flashed a new one (1411/1750mhz) which fixed the crashing problem.
I have been using the gpu for around a week now and seem to be getting sub-par performance. While playing GTA V, I only get around 50fps on 1440p, high settings.
I use MSI afterburner to monitor my performance while gaming and noticed the my GPU usage was heavily fluctuating from 100% down to 0% roughy every 3/4 seconds. I also noticed that my power draw was only around 105w maximum, even if i changed the power limit in radeon software and MSI afterburner.
I know tgis problem isn't a CPU bottleneck as my R5 2600 is only using about 30% while gaming.
I am not sure if this issue is to do with my power supply as it is at least 5 years old and is only rated for 450w. Would be great if could get some advice before considering upgrading!

Solution
Plus those 580 cards can run warm. But as stated earlier, 4gb isn't really adequate for 1440p. Truthfully, the RX 580 is a few years old to begin with and was more of a 1080p card when new, so you are doing well to get the peformance you are.

For upgrade path, you could at some point bios flash your motherboard and probably upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 series cpu for a nice uptick in that area, and keep your eyes peeled for a gpu. It looks like on ebay the 580 4gb is selling around 200 maybe a bit over. So you could sell and get a different card while prices are up if you want. For example, I just bought a 2070 for 600 which is really kind of high, but my 1070 should sell close to 400 so effectively a price tag of 250 dollars for me...

jelardz2000

Reputable
Aug 6, 2018
PC Specs:
CPU - Ryzen 5 2600
GPU - Shappire Nitro+ RX580 4gb
Mobo - Gigabyte B450M S2H
PSU - CoolerMaster 450w Bronze (quite old)

Recently purchased an rx580 4gb off a miner. Had issues with the bios, but flashed a new one (1411/1750mhz) which fixed the crashing problem.
I have been using the gpu for around a week now and seem to be getting sub-par performance. While playing GTA V, I only get around 50fps on 1440p, high settings.
I use MSI afterburner to monitor my performance while gaming and noticed the my GPU usage was heavily fluctuating from 100% down to 0% roughy every 3/4 seconds. I also noticed that my power draw was only around 105w maximum, even if i changed the power limit in radeon software and MSI afterburner.
I know tgis problem isn't a CPU bottleneck as my R5 2600 is only using about 30% while gaming.
I am not sure if this issue is to do with my power supply as it is at least 5 years old and is only rated for 450w. Would be great if could get some advice before considering upgrading!

Also 4gb isn't really adequate for 1440p high settings. Might explain 50 fps but seems like the drop of GPU usage is a driver issue

you are experiencing good performance, that card with that cpu can expect over 60 fps on high with a few on ultra @ 1080P

For the other issue, try DDU in safe mode then a fresh install of the drivers.

Another tip, this is a mining card. Back your Memory frequency back by 50Mhz... just try it and let us know.

Plus those 580 cards can run warm. But as stated earlier, 4gb isn't really adequate for 1440p. Truthfully, the RX 580 is a few years old to begin with and was more of a 1080p card when new, so you are doing well to get the peformance you are.

For upgrade path, you could at some point bios flash your motherboard and probably upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 series cpu for a nice uptick in that area, and keep your eyes peeled for a gpu. It looks like on ebay the 580 4gb is selling around 200 maybe a bit over. So you could sell and get a different card while prices are up if you want. For example, I just bought a 2070 for 600 which is really kind of high, but my 1070 should sell close to 400 so effectively a price tag of 250 dollars for me. I'd just recommend a power supply upgrade before you push too far.

Solution
Jul 30, 2021

For upgrade path, you could at some point bios flash your motherboard and probably upgrade to a Ryzen 5000 series cpu for a nice uptick in that area, and keep your eyes peeled for a gpu. It looks like on ebay the 580 4gb is selling around 200 maybe a bit over. So you could sell and get a different card while prices are up if you want. For example, I just bought a 2070 for 600 which is really kind of high, but my 1070 should sell close to 400 so effectively a price tag of 250 dollars for me. I'd just recommend a power supply upgrade before you push too far.
I live in new zealeand of course so pc parts are cery expensive. Considering selling my pc and building a new one.
A 2070 in nz is impossible to find new and a second hand one would go for around 1000nzd at least.
Might go for a 3600/3060 combo

I get it. PC components are a bit higher in the USA right now. Mainly graphics cards are anyway. Not sure of the exact currency conversion but the rtx 2070 cost me 600 dollars. I’m fortunate because I already have a gtx 1070 that I can still which should bring in enough to cover most of the cost of the 2070.

i originally was looking at a 3060 but wasn’t able to get the one I wanted. The reason I got the 2070 is because I found it on the used market and it should be about the same performance as the 3060 I was originally looking at.

Jul 30, 2021
I get it. PC components are a bit higher in the USA right now. Mainly graphics cards are anyway. Not sure of the exact currency conversion but the rtx 2070 cost me 600 dollars. I’m fortunate because I already have a gtx 1070 that I can still which should bring in enough to cover most of the cost of the 2070.

i originally was looking at a 3060 but wasn’t able to get the one I wanted. The reason I got the 2070 is because I found it on the used market and it should be about the same performance as the 3060 I was originally looking at.
yea 600 usd about 900 nzd.
the used market prices are pretty ridiculous in nz at the moment, especially gpus.