psu makes noise

cobrano

Commendable
Apr 13, 2017
Is it normal from a psu to make noise when it's turned off? It is a Corsair CX450M which i bought last week

cobrano

Commendable
Apr 13, 2017
So its not normal? I mean its not the fan its coming from the psu.
The system is turned off, but the computer is also under power. Should'nt i use my computer until i get a replacement? I use the computer with a very cheap surge protector, cant it be the problem?

ThatAfricanDude

Reputable
Nov 3, 2014
Its not supposed to be the problem, try to isolate where the noise is coming from, if it is indeed like an electrical hum/buzz coming from your psu, replace it asap, i do not recommend using your pc before getting a replacement.

"So its not normal? I mean its not the fan its coming from the psu"

You seem to be unaware that there's also a fan inside the PSU.
It should stop spinning when you shut down your PC or cut the power.

Noise may be caused by that fan not stopping when it should, or could be a fault with the PSU's electronics.
Either way you should stop using it now.

You only get coil whine when a fan is actually spinning, and the PSU fan shouldn't be spinning when the PSU is turned off.
You shouldn't get coil whine on a week-old PSU anyway, so any way you look at it the thing isn't right.

I think we've covered this long enough, we've told you to stop using it & get it replaced, what more do you want from us - - :??:

cobrano

Commendable
Apr 13, 2017
Ok so i will go for a new one next week you guys think a seasonic s12ii would be good?
I5 6500
Gtx 950
Gigabyte ga-b150-hd3p
8gb ram
1tb wd blue

This was really really bad from a corsair...