PSU noise, Worth worrying about?

InvalidError

Titan
That is just "coil whine" and as annoying as it might be, it is usually harmless.

My P4's PSU has a faint coil whine from the 5VSB supply at 7.8kHz and 9.5kHz... had to use a spectrum analyzer app on my N7 to track down the noise and confirm that I was not just hearing things.

Normally, switching power supplies operate at frequencies beyond hearing range to make such noise inaudible to the human ear but under certain circumstances, those noises can get modulated back down into hearing range.

InvalidError

Titan

You can pour a solid epoxy block around an inductor and vacuum-pump it to eliminate any possible bubbles within it and still get whine. Conversely, you can have a glue-less coil that is perfectly silent. The glue has very little to do with audible whine.

Coil whine is mainly about how regular the PSU's switching is: perfectly regular operation will produce noise only on the PSU's harmonics and those would be well over 50kHz in modern PSUs. When that switching gets modulated by irregular loads, too tight phase margins in the feedback loop, fluctuations in line input voltage, etc, you are likely to get coil whine regardless of how good the inductors and transformers are.