• Now's your chance win big! Join our community and get entered to win a RTX 2060 GPU, plus more! Join here.

Meet Stan Dmitriev of SurrogateTV on the Pi Cast TODAY! The show is live August 11th at 2:30 pm ET (7:30 PM BST). Watch live right here!

Professional PC modder Mike Petereyns joins Scharon on the Tom's Hardware Show live on Thursday, August 13th at 3:00 pm ET (8:00 PM BST). Click here!

Question PSU Overheating

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 7, 2020
The CPU fan isn't spinning when I turn the power on on the PSU and since the PC doesn't respond to the power button it doesn't start spinning then either.

The Motherboard does light ub with the amber lighting which is on this model, so it is getting power when I switch the PSU on. I can also see a light turn on on the GPU, next to the 8pin or whatever it is, signalling its getting power.

Couldn't find any residue on the MB as far as I could tell and tried swapping the connections for the panel power and reset button but didn't work either.

I'm wondering whether I should take the CPU fan off and take a look under it, but I currently don't have any spare thermal paste at home so don't want to be taking the fan off before I can replace the thermal paste and put it back.
CPU fan probably seized, is it hard to turn? If so that is definitely the issue. Mechanic issues are usually the problem with PCs.

GnasherKO

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
CPU fan probably seized, is it hard to turn? If so that is definitely the issue. Mechanic issues are usually the problem with PCs.
If you're referring to the fan in my CPU cooler then that one can spin fine, but it doesn not switch on when the power (PSU switched on) is on or when I attempt to switch the PC on with the power button.

As I mentioned before, I'd like to take a look at the CPU, but going to have to buy some thermal paste before taking the fan off.

Jul 7, 2020
If it is the fan, a trick to do, at your own risk, is cover the motherboard with paper, put cotton wool between the fan blades covering the CPU heatsink and very small quick spray of wd40 in the fan motor to lub it back to life. If the PC is a high spec do not try this as it has some risk.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS