[SOLVED] PSU Overheating

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GnasherKO

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
Hi guys,

So I've managed to go without issues on my current build for quite some time, just over three years I believe.

Unfortunately, the PC has recently decided that the local climate is no longer to it's liking, so it started overheating.

I'm farily sure it's the PSU. When I check the interior of my PC the PSU and GPU were the only parts which seemes hotter than usual. I check the temps on my GPU with some software and it wasn't going above 70c which is well within my GPUs range, but the temperates on the PSU are being shown as above 100c (at least in Open Hardware Monitor which I'm using).

Also whenever the overheat forces my PC to shut down (usually while gaming), it takes a little while before I can turn it on again, so I'm assuming it's the PSU, plus it gets the hottest.

I haven't changed any of the components in the PC since the last build which was over three years ago, the PC has remained in the same location. The only thing I did was a thorough dusting about three days back, but I did that after I sensed the PC getting warmer than usual, although it didn't seem to help.

My Specs are as follows:
CPU: Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060
RAM: 16 GB Corsair (Vengeance I believe)
PSU: Corsair CX 750 (fan placement is down facing)
Motherboard: ASUS Prime Z270-K

Would appreciate any help that might allow me to get the PC into standard working conditions before I can just buy a new PSU.

Thanks

Solution
The CPU fan isn't spinning when I turn the power on on the PSU and since the PC doesn't respond to the power button it doesn't start spinning then either.

The Motherboard does light ub with the amber lighting which is on this model, so it is getting power when I switch the PSU on. I can also see a light turn on on the GPU, next to the 8pin or whatever it is, signalling its getting power.

Couldn't find any residue on the MB as far as I could tell and tried swapping the connections for the panel power and reset button but didn't work either.

I'm wondering whether I should take the CPU fan off and take a look under it, but I currently don't have any spare thermal paste at home so don't want to be taking the fan off before I can...
Jul 7, 2020
The CPU fan isn't spinning when I turn the power on on the PSU and since the PC doesn't respond to the power button it doesn't start spinning then either.

The Motherboard does light ub with the amber lighting which is on this model, so it is getting power when I switch the PSU on. I can also see a light turn on on the GPU, next to the 8pin or whatever it is, signalling its getting power.

Couldn't find any residue on the MB as far as I could tell and tried swapping the connections for the panel power and reset button but didn't work either.

I'm wondering whether I should take the CPU fan off and take a look under it, but I currently don't have any spare thermal paste at home so don't want to be taking the fan off before I can replace the thermal paste and put it back.
CPU fan probably seized, is it hard to turn? If so that is definitely the issue. Mechanic issues are usually the problem with PCs.

Solution

GnasherKO

Reputable
Sep 3, 2016
CPU fan probably seized, is it hard to turn? If so that is definitely the issue. Mechanic issues are usually the problem with PCs.
If you're referring to the fan in my CPU cooler then that one can spin fine, but it doesn not switch on when the power (PSU switched on) is on or when I attempt to switch the PC on with the power button.

As I mentioned before, I'd like to take a look at the CPU, but going to have to buy some thermal paste before taking the fan off.

Jul 7, 2020
If it is the fan, a trick to do, at your own risk, is cover the motherboard with paper, put cotton wool between the fan blades covering the CPU heatsink and very small quick spray of wd40 in the fan motor to lub it back to life. If the PC is a high spec do not try this as it has some risk.

Status
Not open for further replies.