[SOLVED] PSU popped when I plugged in link cable but my PC still turns on

Dec 30, 2021
Hey y'all, I plugged in my Oculus Link Cable to my type c port on my motherboard today, and when I did, my power supply popped and my pc shut down. I figured my psu was dead and after checking for any fried parts, I came across none. Fast-forward to a couple hours later, I plugged in my old 1060 and my pc booted up fine and functions like normal. I'm waiting till I get confirmation that its fine to plug in my main GPU. Do you guys think it's fine or I should buy another power supply, thanks! I was also wondering what could've caused this pop. There were no sparks that I could see, only the noise.

GPU: 2080ti (currently using a 1060 3gb to test and use my system)
CPU: i5-8400
PSU: Corsair HX1200

Solution
Hey y'all, I plugged in my Oculus Link Cable to my type c port on my motherboard today, and when I did, my power supply popped and my pc shut down. I figured my psu was dead and after checking for any fried parts, I came across none. Fast-forward to a couple hours later, I plugged in my old 1060 and my pc booted up fine and functions like normal. I'm waiting till I get confirmation that its fine to plug in my main GPU. Do you guys think it's fine or I should buy another power supply, thanks! I was also wondering what could've caused this pop. There were no sparks that I could see, only the noise.

Your PSU did not "pop'. This is...

crazyal

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Sounds like the link cable is shorted somewhere or the USB port has a mangled contact (shine a light inside and see if any of the contacts are out of place), what do you mean by popped? As in sparks and smoke or just stopped working for definite? Most PSUs will just shut down in the event of an overcurrent event and need power cycling by removing the mains cable for a while.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2021
Sounds like the link cable is shorted somewhere or the USB port has a mangled contact
I don't think the link cable is shorted because my friend was just using it and it worked fine but that may be the case. After looking the USB port doesn't look anything out of the ordinary and it works with every other device.

Also the PSU just made like a popping or cracking noise then my pc just shut off and cycled for like a minute. It had no sparks and definitely no smoke and is working again. Everything is back to normal I just don't know if I should dish out the extra hundred to buy a new psu if I don't need one.

Your PSU did not "pop'. This is not a PSU issue. Does your Type C plug directly into your PSU? No. Your Type C connector isn't going to the PSU. It goes to your motherboard. So if your Type C connector is pooched or the connection on the motherboard is screwed up, then the PSU is going to "latch" to protect your system. That's why it shut down.

Solution
Dec 30, 2021
Your PSU did not "pop'. This is not a PSU issue. Does your Type C plug directly into your PSU? No. Your Type C connector isn't going to the PSU. It goes to your motherboard. So if your Type C connector is pooched or the connection on the motherboard is screwed up, then the PSU is going to "latch" to protect your system. That's why it shut down.
Okay this makes a lot of sense! Thank you very much.