[SOLVED] PSU power cord snapped while plugged in creating small spark. Is my computer safe?

tigidig2x

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2012
95
0
18,630
0
Could you guys help me out on this please. I have a fairly old gaming computer about 3 years old now but still reliable for my needs atleast. However, just this morning, I needed to unplug my psu power cord from the psu itself in order to make some slight cable management in my room. So when I plugged it back in and turned on the power, I suddenly saw 2 consecutive spark from the cable (like in the root towards the psu) then I realized the cable has almost snapped and/or fried. Well, not like really fried that it has gone black, it just looked liked it was snapped by hand and i smelled a small scent of burning wire shortly after the spark (it must have been the wire itself). Then I quickly unplugged the other end of the cord from the outlet.

Now I still have no spare psu cord currently and im looking to buy new one. Do you guys think my computer is fried as well or my PsU? I didnt notice any spark sound or something. I just saw the 2 sparks from the cable. No sound, no nothing. Is it still safe? Should I try plugging again new psu power cord? Im worried my computer is affected since I use it for work and school, and no means of buying new one. I hope you could enlighten me on this please! Thank you so much!
 

Lutfij

Titan
Moderator
We're going to need some more information, Please list your specs for your system and the age of the PSU(as well as it's make and model). You might want to start inspecting the board, inch by inch to see if any capacitors seems swollen or blown up or are leaking fluids, that would be a sign that the board was compromised during this issue.

You could try plugging in a new PSU cable but I think you might need to isolate the system first and see if the cable you got is the right one for your PSU as well as seeing if your house might have faulty or failing wires(or a power strip).
 

Lutfij

Titan
Moderator
We're going to need some more information, Please list your specs for your system and the age of the PSU(as well as it's make and model). You might want to start inspecting the board, inch by inch to see if any capacitors seems swollen or blown up or are leaking fluids, that would be a sign that the board was compromised during this issue.

You could try plugging in a new PSU cable but I think you might need to isolate the system first and see if the cable you got is the right one for your PSU as well as seeing if your house might have faulty or failing wires(or a power strip).
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS