Question PSU power cord supply loose

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I checked out the cord attachment for my psu that goes into the back of my pc and I realized that it I wiggle it in any direction its loose. The cord is all the way in, cant go in any further but if I move the wire in anyway it just seems loose. I only noticed this when I moved the wire when pc was on and my pc actually lost power. It's never went off for any other reason when I didn't mess with wire. Is this normal? It's the cord that came with my psu.

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
No, the cord should be snug.

How old is this PSU?

A month old
Could it be the cord? If so I'll just buy a replacement psu cord and see if that's better. I know I'm pushing the cord into the psu until it really doesn't go any further. If I try to push anymore it doesnt really go in any further. I don't wanna push that hard to see if it goes more

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
Could be the cord.

Does your monitor use a similar cord? Just so you could check if the monitor cord fits snugly (not plugged in or anything).

Wow yeah it's almost the same cord and I plugged the one from my monitor into the psu and it went in easier and further than the cord that came with my psu. The cord with my psu seems to hit a wall after I put it in a certain amount and doesnt wanna go in any further.

Should I try and just push the psu cord in more even though it seems like it doesnt want to go any further? Doesnt seem like it should be even doing that

Bob1nba

Reputable
Aug 10, 2019
I suspect the cable is the issue. You could contact your PSUs manufacturer and see If they will send you a replacement cable under warranty.

Otherwise you can purchase a PC power cord online.

Ok so since the psu cord is making contact with my psu and the pc turns and stays on and seems to be performing well, should I be fine running the pc till I get a new cord? It's never turned off until I moved the cord a little bit so I'm just worried I could be doing damage.