[SOLVED] Psu powers on for 1 second then turns off

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_K7

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
I just bought a new psu. I tested it by putting a paper clip connecting the power and ground. The psu powers up for a second and then it turns off. Is the psu faulty? I'm not sure if it has anything to do with the smart fan that says it only turns on when there is medium to high load on the psu. I tried plugging it into my pc but nothing happens when I push the power button. Fairly certain it's the psu but just need a confirmation. Thanks.

specs:
Cpu: Ryzen 5600x
Mobo: Gigabyte B550 gaming x
Ram: Corsair rgb vengeance pro 16gb
Cooler: Hyper evo 212 cooler
Gpu: Xfx thicc iii rx5700xt
Psu: Corsair RM750X

UPDATE
So I took everything apart and out of the case. Made a work bench with just the cpu and 1 ram stick connected to the motherboard. I tried connecting my old psu (EVGA 750GQ). First the rgb on the ram sticks turn on. Then I jump start the mobo with a screw driver and the system boots up no problem.
I then try the same thing with my new psu (Corsair RM750X) and nothing happens. No rgb no boot. Next I disconnect everything and just have the psu and the 24pin atx I put a paper clip between the power and ground and start the psu up. The EVGA 750GQ starts up and stays on no problem. The Corsair RM750X starts up then turns off the fan due to the smart fan auto stop under light load; the psu it self is still on tho. But how come when I plug it into the mobo and try to start it from there nothing happens? I am extremely confused.

Last edited:
Solution
So I can finally say that the problem was the new psu indeed. I setup my test bench and had just the cpu plugged in. I then connected the psu and jumped the system. Nothing turns on. I then try the same thing with my old psu and the system turns on no problem. I then also tried just jumping the psu via the 24 pin with a paper clip; I did this with both my old and new psu. The old psu starts up no problem but the new one starts and stops after. I will be returning my psu and getting an exchange.

Steve_K7

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
What was the previous psu?
How do you know the previous psu was faulty instead of the MB (for example)?
I was using the evga 750gq. Which I have been using for 5 yrs
The motherboard is new. Gigabyte B550 gaming x. I upgraded because I got a new cpu.
I tried to rule out as much stuff as possible I did a ram stability test, also tested the hdd's and ssd's. And the gpu is also new.

Your issue is this.

The system boots and turn off because your motherboard needs a BIOS update to support that CPU.

You're lucky. Your motherboard has a Flashback function where you can update your BIOS without a CPU installed on the board.

• Download latest BIOS file - https://www.gigabyte.com/ca/Motherboard/B550-GAMING-X-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios
  • Extract the downloaded file.
  • Put the BIOS file on a USB key and rename it to GIGABYTE.BIN
  • Put that USB key in the appropriate USB port at the rear (With the BIOS writing beside the port)
  • System must be shutdown with no CPU installed on the board.
  • You click on that Q-Flash Plus button at the rear for 3 seconds.
  • When the light stop flashing after a few minutes the process is done.
  • Reinstall the CPU. Should post now.

Last edited:

Steve_K7

Reputable
Oct 26, 2016
So I can finally say that the problem was the new psu indeed. I setup my test bench and had just the cpu plugged in. I then connected the psu and jumped the system. Nothing turns on. I then try the same thing with my old psu and the system turns on no problem. I then also tried just jumping the psu via the 24 pin with a paper clip; I did this with both my old and new psu. The old psu starts up no problem but the new one starts and stops after. I will be returning my psu and getting an exchange.

Solution

RMx is fanless. It's going to start up the fan then stop.

You're not using any of the old DC power cables with the new PSU, are you?

Reactions: Nemesia

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
no I'm using the cables that came with the psu.
Well, sh*t happens, i'd speak with Corsair support or retailer for RMA at this point, looks like something is wrong with this unit, replace it. Judging by how it starts by itself but doesn't power the motherboard, maybe something wrong at the modular panel or cables ? Can you look if all the pins/sockets are okay on the PSU and both cable ends ?

Status
Not open for further replies.