Question PSU problem, or something else?

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
The Problem:

My computer started to randomly shut down/restart and I would get the famous "Power supply surges detected during the previous power on. Asus Anti-Surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit!". After trying a few things that I listed below, I actually disabled the Asus Anti-Surge protection in my Bios (maybe a bad idea) to see if that would "fix" things. My computer still would still power down, but of course without the asus surge protection message.

What I've Done:

- compressed air inside of my system to clean out as much dust as possible.

- Disconnected and reconnected all power supply cables to make sure there was no loose connections.

- Replaced the power strip that my computer strip is plugged into.

- Tested wall outlet with 3 prong circuit tester.

- Uninstalled Corsair link (I thought this might be the issue)

- Disabled Asus surge protection feature in bios.

Other Useful Note:

When this first happened it was only once or twice in a week, and then it didn't do it again for a few weeks. But when it happened again it would do it one right after another. I would log into windows, and then usualy within 15 seconds or so it would shut down again. I would come back to my computer after a day or so and then I had no problem. Sometimes I wouldn't have a problem for a few weeks and then I'd see the same pattern.

I don't know if this has anything to do with this problem, but my CPU cooler does not seem to be working as well and the temps of my cpu have been higher ( ~80c - ~90C when gaming). I know, it's bad. I'm looking to get a new cooler and case.

At this point I'm assuming it is my power supply since I shut off asus's surge protection and still had the problem (I since turned it back on). But I'm on the edge of upgrading some of the parts on my computer but I'm wating to see what would be a good processor/MB combo with a GTX 3080. I was hoping to put this off a bit more until I know what parts I want to get. Depending on parts I get would obviously determine what PSU I get. But I may not have that luxury of waiting any longer. As much as possible I want to try to determine if the problem is my PSU or something else.

My System:
https://pcpartpicker.com/b/XhvWGX

Any help in determining if the issue is my PSU or something else would be great! Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
A failing PSU is the most important issue. If it does fail due to overvoltage and poor voltage regulation it can and will damage other hardware.
Either swap the unit out with a known working unit of same or higher Wattage or have an electronics techo to test the unit under load.
The anti surge protector is there for an important reason.

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
A failing PSU is the most important issue. If it does fail due to overvoltage and poor voltage regulation it can and will damage other hardware.
Either swap the unit out with a known working unit of same or higher Wattage or have an electronics techo to test the unit under load.
The anti surge protector is there for an important reason.

I'm starting to consider just replacing the PSU with a new one. I, unfortunately, don't' have another PSU I can test. Is there anything else you suspect or would suggest checking first? My concern is if I buy a new PSU and I end up with the same problem because it was something else, like the MB. My assumption was that since I turned off Asus's Surge Protection (again, maybe was a bad idea) and it would still shut down that it was a PSU. I really don't have a ton of reasoning as to why just a hunch. I'm not sure what is making it shut down even with asus's protection shut off. Would you, or anyone else, have any other thoughts before I replace the PSU?

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Check all modular cables from both ends and PSU sockets for damage.

I went through and checked them all out today and I didn't notice any problems. All looked well. While I was in there I switch some of my cables to different outport sockets on my PSU just to try out and see if it helped. Unfortunately, my system is still powering off with the same message about Asus power surge protection.

So I'm still puzzled by what would cause my system to power off/restart even when I have turned off my Asus Surge protection. Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm wondering if this would help clarify the problem.

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Well, at this point you should probably just talk to Corsair support if they have any other ideas, if not - RMA it.

I spoke with corsair and they are going to replace it. They are actually replacing it with a Hx100i, which I probably will never use that kind of power, but I guess it's nice to have. The only down side is it is a refurbished unit. Other than it being refurbished, I was actually pretty excited about it being replaced since I actually thought it was out of warranty. It turns out my manual stating a 7 year was wrong and they have a 10 year!

Now, if everyone could just give me the warm fuzzies that refurbished units are as bad as what I've read online, :)

I spoke with corsair and they are going to replace it. They are actually replacing it with a Hx100i, which I probably will never use that kind of power, but I guess it's nice to have. The only down side is it is a refurbished unit. Other than it being refurbished, I was actually pretty excited about it being replaced since I actually thought it was out of warranty. It turns out my manual stating a 7 year was wrong and they have a 10 year!

Now, if everyone could just give me the warm fuzzies that refurbished units are as bad as what I've read online, :)

The HX 1000i is a platinum rated PSU so yes if it has the usual Warranty. Corsair have done you a good deal.
I would however caution anyone that refurbished units are usually cheap and a gamble.

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
The HX 1000i is a platinum rated PSU so yes if it has the usual Warranty. Corsair have done you a good deal.
I would however caution anyone that refurbished units are usually cheap and a gamble.

I was excited to hear it was a platinum PSU and that I was getting it covered. My manual said it was only a 7 year, not 10 year warranty. So it was a pleasant surprise.

The refurbished side has me concerned. I'm looking at doing a new build this year with RTX3080 and either an Intel i7 10700k OR perhaps one of AMD's new processors that will be announced in Oct. I would use this refurbished PSU they are sending me in this build unless I had some big red flags that it would be a risky or a bad idea. I'd love to hear your thoughts, or anyone else's on this.

j3rkface

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2013
Why? You get this from Corsair themselves, you can get that they tested it thoroughly and even if it might fail should there still be some warranty on it.

Yeah, I agree. I think that it will be fine. I think the fear of if it fails what damage may be done to other components is what makes me nervous. Especially when talking about new parts. But I think I'm just letting some of the things I read online scare me. I'm sure it will be fine.

Huge thank you to everyone for helping me out with all of this!

Reactions: Vic 40