[SOLVED] psu problem

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
In general, I have a fps drop in games eg cs go, bf 1 etc.
I overclocked the processor, but my problem still has not been solved. Actually, what I have done has not improved. There is no problem in temperature, my processor and graphics card do not get very hot.
I think the problem is caused by psu, but I don't want to change psu and experience the same problem again.
my system
i7 4790k
16gb ddr3 ram
cooler master 650w psu (A little old)
asus maxımus vii formula motherboard
gtx 1070

What exactly does the problem come from?

Solution
if your psu is not delivering enough juice it can cause these problems and show symtoms in many ways, I would order a new psu and if it does not solve the problem you can always return it, did not fit in your case or whatever !!!
How old is a little old? Does the PC boot normally and these issues only come about when gaming and the sytem is under some stress?

Coolermaster are not bad PSU's but they used cheap chinese 85c caps in older models and they don't live for ever. If it is over 5 years old I would certainly change it, it is more than likely the source of your problems.

Reactions: ''T6C

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
Watch the language
cooler master 650w psu (A little old)
do you have any idea what model you own? there are quite a lot of PSUs that could be classified as that
Coolermaster are not bad PSU's but they used cheap chinese 85c caps in older models and they don't live for ever.
the quality of the caps matter less than the actual design of the psu. i can use the most amazing Japenese, German or Taiwanese caps and still have it fail because i Removed up the design. With that something like the PFC would probably die earlier than most caps in modern PSUs.

and you know... not all psus from a company are equal, Cooler Master has made and is still making some amazing PSUs, and as many others some cheap crap too. This is the case with many companies

Last edited by a moderator:

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
How old is a little old? Does the PC boot normally and these issues only come about when gaming and the sytem is under some stress?

Coolermaster are not bad PSU's but they used cheap chinese 85c caps in older models and they don't live for ever. If it is over 5 years old I would certainly change it, it is more than likely the source of your problems.
In fact, yes, the games I am having problems with are mostly medium graphics games, not new ones.

It depends on what you are playing but the CPU is still a good Quadcore.
What does Taskmanager say? Is there anything else using the CPU in the background?
You wrote that the temps are good. Hre are 2 things I would try...

Do you have CCleaner, if not get the free version and just run the REGISTRY cleaner, it will clean up pathways and may help.

You could also try www.malwarebytes.com to see if aynthing is eating CPU in the backgroud.

These 2 things may or may not help but will eliminate 2 possible causes of CPU lacking kick.

LukeSavenije

Prominent
Apr 4, 2019
model:cooler master masterwatt lite 600w
The power supply is 2 or 3 years old.
Could the problem be because the system is ddr3?
then I'd highly recommend replacing it if you can... in a review at Jonnyguru it showed to either have no UVP or a non-functional one

It's unlikely the factor of your performance problems here, but I would recommend doing it regardless to have that extra protection, which is in my eyes mandatory by today's standards

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
then I'd highly recommend replacing it if you can... in a review at Jonnyguru it showed to either have no UVP or a non-functional one

It's unlikely the factor of your performance problems here, but I would recommend doing it regardless to have that extra protection, which is in my eyes mandatory by today's standards

Thank you very much. Which psu would you recommend?

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
It depends on what you are playing but the CPU is still a good Quadcore.
What does Taskmanager say? Is there anything else using the CPU in the background?
You wrote that the temps are good. Hre are 2 things I would try...

Do you have CCleaner, if not get the free version and just run the REGISTRY cleaner, it will clean up pathways and may help.

You could also try www.malwarebytes.com to see if aynthing is eating CPU in the backgroud.

These 2 things may or may not help but will eliminate 2 possible causes of CPU lacking kick.

I downloaded 2 programs and cleaned the computer.

Unfortunately, the problem still persists.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
the cheapest I'd do is gigabyte p650b, but if you can go slightly above your budget, i highly recommend this one

Or this SAMA Forza Gold rebrand for ~700 TL, good stuff, same platform as SPC Supremo L2\M2\FM2, there might be differences in caps and a fan but i doubt SAMA would put a complete garbage there. Some rebrands of this platform have sleeve bearing fan but the lowest i've seen on caps are Teapos.

Reactions: LukeSavenije

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
In the bios sata information section, hdd appears, but the ssd where the windows is installed does not appear.SSD appears when the computer is turned on, but not in the bios.Could this be the problem?
Thanks

''T6C

Reputable
Mar 12, 2020
my motherboard

K:Dual sata express
L:10x sata Gb/s (4 ports shared with 2 sata express)

There are 2 options for Sata entry, which one should I wear?