Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 66 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

g-unit1111

Titan
I know 650 and 750W units have two x 6+2. But that only gets you one card. What size psu do you need if you were running two three plug cards? Did that men you need a 1kW? 1200? 1500W? I don't normally look at psus that large so I'm not sure.

I know for a fact that I don't need a 1KW for a single card, even if it is a 3080. But I'm worried my current PSU is very old and I want to replace it with at least an 850W.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I know for a fact that I don't need a 1KW for a single card, even if it is a 3080. But I'm worried my current PSU is very old and I want to replace it with at least an 850W.

Eh, how hard did you really run it? If it wasn't run hard or pushed near max then I wouldn't be THAT concerned. Also its still a good unit, if it took a dump it would just kill itself, not take any hardware with it.

Most 550w and up units have AT LEAST FOUR 6+2 connectors, on two cables, these days. Two PER cable. When the specs say, whatever, you need to look further because often they are indicating two PCIe auxiliary CABLES that are x2, when in fact that means FOUR PCIe connections whether 6 or 8 pin. Older power supplies of lower output or quality, yeah, it wasn't that uncommon to only see two but it's been a long time since that was common.

Eh, how hard did you really run it? If it wasn't run hard or pushed near max then I wouldn't be THAT concerned. Also its still a good unit, if it took a dump it would just kill itself, not take any hardware with it.
At 7 years old, with that graphics card, you'd put a new PSU in. So would I. Doesn't really matter what model it was. New VERY expensive graphics card with 7 year old (Or more) power supply, equals nah, I don't think so. Would it be fine? Probably. Would WE do that? Probably not.

Getting either the 750w or 850w model, so long as it's something with substantial quality and good performance, is fine either way G-unit so long as it's new. As RL said, even your current one is probably fine for now.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
At 7 years old, with that graphics card, you'd put a new PSU in. So would I. Doesn't really matter what model it was. New VERY expensive graphics card with 7 year old (Or more) power supply, equals nah, I don't think so. Would it be fine? Probably. Would WE do that? Probably not.

Getting either the 750w or 850w model, so long as it's something with substantial quality and good performance, is fine either way G-unit so long as it's new. As RL said, even your current one is probably fine for now.

If he can find the right deal sure, but if hes forced to overpay right now for the right unit I would hold out. I just don't think his old unit is going to combust that quickly, but I do agree, when spending THAT much on a GPU, at 7 years you got your money out of the PSU.

g-unit1111

Titan

Yeah that's exactly what I was worried about was the age of my power supply. This PSU has served me well and it's been through three builds now. But I think it's definitely time to put it out to pasture. But shopping for a new PSU is a lot harder than I remember, especially since there's a shortage of quality supplies right now and minion sellers are selling the good units for double or even triple the MSRP.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
But shopping for a new PSU is a lot harder than I remember, especially since there's a shortage of quality supplies right now and minion sellers are selling the good units for double or even triple the MSRP.

Since you're having hard time finding 850W unit with either reasonable price or in stock, why not go with the PRIME TX-750 i linked earlier? It's the best PSU money can buy and while it doesn't have the extra 100W for peace of mind, it is in stock and with good price. It costs $50 less than my PRIME TX-650 that i bought few months ago.

The Prime TX-750 is about 170 bucks in the US right now. I really don't see that unit being worth the extra 35 bucks if all you want is a reliable power supply with good quality and performance, good efficiency and enough capacity for what you intend to do. If all that is true, and is all you want, then the RMx I listed earlier for 135 bucks does the job just fine. If you want more than that, primarily in the area of efficiency, then the Prime Titanium Ultra, which is what I have as well, is a good choice. But then so is the HXi and many other units around that price range.

If you want to say that you have (Arguably) the best mainstream consumer 750w unit then that is what you choose, unless you can find and afford an AXi, again, arguably. Any of these are fine. People run big cards on crap power supplies all the time, so ANY PSU that isn't crap and has most everything implemented correctly is fine so long as the build quality and capacity are sufficient for the usage. If you want to spend more money so you can say you have "X" unit, then do it. Otherwise, the RMx is really the very best bang for the buck 750w model out there, at the moment.

Feb 13, 2021
  1. 600w on the 12v rail of a "1000w" unit means it's not a 1000w unit, at least by modern standards
  2. seems to be fake 80+
  3. not many connectors for a "1000w unit"
  4. very compact for a "1000w unit"
My verdict?

It's not 1000w. It's not 80+ gold. What it is is likely garbage.
Thanks!
Also, are you guys have list of this kinda psus (Garbage), if yes you should add this into it cuz I didn't found any information about it in google

Last edited:
Brands that in general should never be trusted at all except when a positive reliable review for a SPECIFIC MODEL from that brand exists.

One or two of these brands listed below MIGHT have a single model or two that are cut from a completely different mold than what that brand is known for (Or manufacture anything from mediocre to decent quality units under other brand names but not their own. One example would be HEC that makes some decent models under the Cougar label and a few rather borderline ones in the past for EVGA, but their own HEC/Compucase Orion units have historically been terrible.), but overall, if they are listed below they are primarily known for selling just plain junk and in many cases, very dangerous junk that lacks adequate protections or cannot even manage to sustain a fraction of whatever rated capacity their products might indicate on the specifications as far as units sold under their OWN name. I have yet to see any that were of recommendable quality or in many cases even safe for use.

A-Top, AK Power, Akyga, Alpine, Apevia, Apex (Supercase/Allied), Aresgame, Artic, Ace, Aerocool (There might be one model worth using, but I'd still avoid them.), Aspire (Turbocase), Atadc, Atrix, Broadway com corp, Chieftech, Circle, CIT, Coolmax, Deer, Diablotek, Digital Alliance, Dynapower, Dynex, Eagletech, Enlight, Eurotech, Evo labs, EZ cool, Feedtek, Foxconn, Futureman, G7, HEC (Compucase Orion), HEDY, High power, iBall, iStar computer co., Jeantec, JPac, Jual, Just PC, Kentek, Kolink, LC Power, Linkworld electronics, Logisys, Macron, MSI, Njoy, NmediaPC, Norwood Micro (CompUSA), Okia, Powercool, Powerlogic, Powmax, Pulsepower, Q-tec, Quantex, Raidmax, Rave, Rocketfish, Segotep, SFC, Sharkoon, Shuttle, Skyhawk, Spire, Startech, Storm, Sumvision, Tesla, Trust, Ultra, Wintech, Winpower, Xilence (Until I see a reputable review of a model showing different), xTreme (Cyberpower), Youngbear and Zebronics.

Reactions: King_V

g-unit1111

Titan
The Prime TX-750 is about 170 bucks in the US right now. I really don't see that unit being worth the extra 35 bucks if all you want is a reliable power supply with good quality and performance, good efficiency and enough capacity for what you intend to do. If all that is true, and is all you want, then the RMx I listed earlier for 135 bucks does the job just fine. If you want more than that, primarily in the area of efficiency, then the Prime Titanium Ultra, which is what I have as well, is a good choice. But then so is the HXi and many other units around that price range.

If you want to say that you have (Arguably) the best mainstream consumer 750w unit then that is what you choose, unless you can find and afford an AXi, again, arguably. Any of these are fine. People run big cards on crap power supplies all the time, so ANY PSU that isn't crap and has most everything implemented correctly is fine so long as the build quality and capacity are sufficient for the usage. If you want to spend more money so you can say you have "X" unit, then do it. Otherwise, the RMx is really the very best bang for the buck 750w model out there, at the moment.

I'd love to have an AXi but I don't think they are available. I did see that Newegg has the EVGA P2 and that's only $209 and I remember the G2 / P2 are some of the best you can get:

https://www.newegg.com/evga-superno...1-850w/p/N82E16817438056?Item=N82E16817438056

I'd be fine with either one but if the Seasonic is better I'll get the Seasonic. If the P2 is better I'll get the P2.

Last edited:

g-unit1111

Titan
Id get whichever is cheaper, but maybe thats just me being cheap

There was only a $10 difference between the two, neither one would really break my bank account.

Newegg had the Prime Titanium for $240 but I am really hesitant to buy it because it's not Newegg selling it and I don't want to pay that much money and then not get the product that is advertised. I really hate minion sellers.

Last edited:
Id get whichever is cheaper, but maybe thats just me being cheap
It's not. It's true. However, if it's even within about ten to twenty bucks, I'd go with the HXi. The EVGA products were good, ARE good, if it's the right model like the P series, but at the end of the day both Corsair and EVGA have pretty good product support and I think the HXi is just a little better than the P series, and given EVGA's inclination to move away from Super Flower it's probably not the worst idea to give those points to Corsair. I think at this point they are, at the least, more consistent.

I would not however hesitate in any way to purchase an EVGA graphics card OR a Super Flower power supply. Or most of what Corsair sells, as all of these products are pretty well supported. I mean, these are some of the best names in the industry. I feel like Corsair has the better platinum product in this comparison. I do wish they'd release a newer, revised HX platform though. Not that anything is wrong with the current one, but they've been riding it for a while now.

Reactions: maxamillionfeettall

TRENDING THREADS