Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 50 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Unless my math is wrong:
4 hrs a day x 365 days in a year = 1460 hrs use per year.
Ah, okay, i've somehow ducked-up my math completely. It's 6 years of 24hr use, pretty close to 7 years of warranty on the unit.
But i've looked up again and it's actually 25k hours fan at 40°C, so still around 6 -7 years with 12 hours usage per day.

Any company that doesn't replace ANY part that fails prior to the warranty period, regardless of what part it is, so long as it is not due to deliberate or user error, would get destroyed in a matter of months. So no, I don't believe that if your fan failed at five years on a seven year or ten year warranty, they wouldn't replace it. I can assure you that if they didn't replace, they would find themselves at the front of a number of unfavorable articles on more than one tech rag.
That's an assumption, which doesn't always meet reality. I'll ask Seasonic myself explicitly (and Corsair with EVGA for that matter) if they do replace a fan failed due to normal wear inside warranty period for a unit itself.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I forgot. SeaSonic got back with me weeks ago and I just never checked my inbox.

PSU fan failure IS covered under SeaSonics warranty.

Their response with names removed.
https://ibb.co/f9HrgLK

So I'll assume that's a definite 'yes it's covered' from Seasonic. With Evga, they'll probably have a unit on the dock and waiting for the UPS dude to finally get there before you even finish the phone call, Corsair you'll probably have to read them the serial code so they can look up the manufacturing date, but I don't see them having an issue either.

But other companies I'd take on a case by case basis

Last edited:

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Seasonic : they're still a bit vague about that but i guess that's indeed a yes. I still wouldn't have to deal with that personally and i don't see what they're even saving there over a rifle fan which would have twice longer lifetime for a couple of bucks extra cost at most.
Within the 7 years warranty, we will gladly exchange your PSU if your fan is faulty.

Gotta love warranty stickers. My EVGA GD used a combo of t2 Torx and a warranty sticker to try to keep people out. I guess these stickers make sense since you shouldn't really open a PSU.

I think the only GPUs and PSUs I have without warranty stickers are ones that came as part of an OEM system.

Last edited:
Seasonic : they're still a bit vague about that but i guess that's indeed a yes. I still wouldn't have to deal with that personally and i don't see what they're even saving there over a rifle fan which would have twice longer lifetime for a couple of bucks extra cost at most.

Well they have to change it... If the fan fails... how are you suppose to service it since its under warranty anyway?
Since its under warranty you're not allowed to open the PSU, so they have to replace the fan, because if your PSU continues to run without proper cooling, it will fail anyway and way much faster than the remaining warranty, so either way there is no room around it, they will replace either a failed fan or failed PSU.

Aren't warranty void stickers have no effect in US ? Or they just assumed that i'm not from US.
The right to repair laws in the USA means manufacturers cannot void a warranty because of an end-user breaking a sticker to open up the device IIRC.

However, most manufacturers still implement these stickers and some do not honor the warranty on units with torn stickers. These companies get away with it since the cost of a lawyer to sue the company forcing them to honor the warranty costs more than just buying a new product in most cases.

How unfortunate.

Correct. They can put the stickers on there, and they can TELL you that it will void the warranty, but if you were to take them to court over it, they'd lose. The law says that we have the right to repair and that those stickers are not legal.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Seems Deltas quality perhaps has gone down.
I'll repeat what i've said in that thread, Delta is just an OEM, they do what their client wants, if client wants cheap they get cheap. So do pretty much all other OEMs which are capable of developing/customizing platforms for the needs of their clients, CWT, Great Wall, Enhance, Sirfa etc, not Seasonic, no, they're not capable because they're too small for that, they mostly sell stock platforms (although they did some modifications for NZXT). Delta has very high end platform used in Antec HCP Plat / CM V-Plat MPZ and decent mid-end platform in Antec VP-F, and they do all sorts of things for OEM market. In this case HP just requested smth cheap because honestly group reg is okay for GTX1050Ti and Delta delivered. No idea why they've opted out of APFC tho.

Then perhaps HPs quality just sucks. That PSU would have been fine I guess, but down the line, those cheap branded caps may not prove reliable.

That system was poorly laid out too. You literally cannot upgrade the GPU since the 24 pins and USB 3 header blocks off the end of the PCIe slot. Not even my itx rx570 fit, no clue how the 1050ti did, guess that was tiny.

Though I see other prebuilt manufacturers making poorly designed products too.

Guess just don't buy prebuilt haha.

Seasonic is just as guilty of it as anybody else. There are plenty of Seasonic models that are not terrific quality, mostly their budget OEM style models and those that have been farmed out to 3rd party manufacturers. Delta has pretty much always been guilty of having both baseline and high quality platforms or builds, just like everybody else. Even so, I'd much prefer a Delta built OEM power supply with cut corners than most other budget OEM style units regardless of who made them, with cut corners.

And while Seasonic may not have ever built custom OEM platforms for branded prebuilt manufacturers like HP and Dell, like Delta has, they have certainly supplied their own OEM bare bones models to such manufacturers for specific product lines in the past.

Units similar to these:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0065SHMYI?tag=pcpapi-20&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
That's what i'm saying, Seasonic OEM stuff is limited to what they already sell to DIY market just without all fancy stuff. But Delta along with other OEMs is capable of doing completely custom platforms by request, maybe this is the case, maybe not, but as a result, the range of their platforms quality varies far greater. Regardless, i always say, don't look at the label, look at the PSU itself, it's electrical performance, quality of components and design. Brand is only relevant when you already have a good quality unit to start with so a good support / warranty would be a bonus to it, but not everyone care about that as in some parts of the world it's almost impossible to RMA anything and you just look for the best unit you can get for your money regardless of the brand.

Seasonic is capable of doing that too, they just don't Why? IDK.

I agree that in some regions the considerations are and have to be, different, for the exact reasons you stated. It doesn't mean, in most cases, that you have to settle for a POS though. It just means you are likely going to have to spend more than you wanted to and you might not be able to get what you want today. Sometimes you have to wait or jump through extra hoops when you live in these regions in order to get something halfway decent.

Wait, hasn't Delta been making entry-level/barely powering PSUs since ages ago? My uncle had one prebuilt that I once took the case off years ago, and I remember on the PSU was written "Delta". It was an entry-level Conroe/Penryn dual core system and probably under 300 W. What is going down, exactly?

As for the brand, it's a two way argument. Get a no-name trash brand that no one knows, have tested, and pried apart, then good luck. But you don't diss out brands because they have lemons. All major brands have their own lemons and their great units.

Reactions: Juular

4745454b

Titan
I first heard of delta decades ago as makers of server psus. They were knownfor high quality even back then. Like any oem they can make garbage if that's what the customer wants. I'm a fan of delta even if I've never owned one.

Andy and enhance have made high end gear before. Just because company X doesn't usually make something worth buying doesn't mean they can't ever do it.

Delta is "generally" seen to be the most reliable common manufacturer of most OEM and enterprise sector power supplies, and industrial fans. They've been doing it probably longer than the majority of companies that exist today, having been formed and manufacturing power supply and thermal products since about 1971 according to Wikipedia. So pretty much as long as I've bee alive, which for an industry that tends to be unforgiving of companies that cannot produce quality products and adapt to changing needs in the industry, is saying something.

I agree with NightHawkRMX, if I'm going to have to have a lower end OEM style power supply that came with some prebuilt or other type of system, I'll probably take my chances that it's going to be a better product if it's made by Delta than by most any other company making power supplies for the OEMs and systems builders out there. That doesn't mean they are all going to be good, but they are probably all going to be BETTER than most of the competitions similarly tiered products. And by "tiered" I'm not referring to anything on any list anywhere.