Discussion PSU recommendations and power supply discussion thread - Tom's hardware

Page 81 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Realistically It's a cheaper unit that is placed below it in the product stack, so really it doesn't surprise me they went with a cheaper platform.

Reminds me of how the Thermaltake Smart gold and white are completely different units, with the gold being a cost cut toughpower and the white being... Well you get the idea.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
More ASUS BS. They just keep on coming up with reasons to stop trusting them, more every time you turn around.

It doesn't matter, i bet it isn't going to work with Lovelace GPUs which would need more than 450W anyway, because it's Seasonic Prime.

It's too early to say if other PSUs would work either tho, there are 1.8kW transients in the standard. ASUS just wanted to out the first 'PCIe 5 compatible' PSU but as evident by this, didn't actually make sure that it is actually compatible, doesn't matter, it's just a marketing point until GPUs that need it would actually come out.

Last edited:
Right, but you can bet at least a moderate number of people have bought them with the idea in mind that later on they wouldn't have to buy another one, and probably will.

I mean, I'd be pretty pissed if I spent good money on a car that was supposed to get 50mpg average and in reality only got 38.

Reactions: King_V
Hmm. I was automatically thinking the evga P3 to be superflower, but it was announced only last year, so surely that's not it. I haven't seen much from FSP in recent memory, so it could only be HEC or Andyson....unless they have another oem? I don't remember ever seeing any platinum HEC units though. Any knowledge on it? I really don't want another andyson tbh.

Juular

Respectable
BANNED
Mar 14, 2020
Hmm. I was automatically thinking the evga P3 to be superflower, but it was announced only last year, so surely that's not it. I haven't seen much from FSP in recent memory, so it could only be HEC or Andyson....unless they have another oem? I don't remember ever seeing any platinum HEC units though. Any knowledge on it? I really don't want another andyson tbh.
It's HEC, new platform, no reviews.

Well, I had not heard about this problem but it's rather serious. An unexpected stumble by Seasonic. And usually his reviews are duplicated here at Tom's, so I wonder why this one is not.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Where's the rest of it? I'd hate to see a graph of the outputs, the ripple on that thing would be rediculous for long term use.

Sadly, LTT didn't put it through proper testing (oscilloscope, ripple etc). Maybe next vid the release, has the test results in it.

But that much is certain that this unit, will never be able to output 3450W, since the C13/C14 plugs it uses, are limited to 240V at 10A, which means 2400W. <- This is max what it can pull from the wall. And when factoring in the efficiency as well (some obscure "90 Plus Platinum"), it may produce ~2000W only.

It's way obscure PSU. Still, it's a good watch to learn, how not to make PSUs. :)

Sadly, LTT didn't put it through proper testing (oscilloscope, ripple etc). Maybe next vid the release, has the test results in it.

But that much is certain that this unit, will never be able to output 3450W, since the C13/C14 plugs it uses, are limited to 240V at 10A, which means 2400W. <- This is max what it can pull from the wall. And when factoring in the efficiency as well (some obscure "90 Plus Platinum"), it may produce ~2000W only.

It's way obscure PSU. Still, it's a good watch to learn, how not to make PSUs. :)
It can likely draw more than 2400w from the wall for awhile before anything happens. Breakers don't immediately trip above their rated current, they usually take awhile, but that time goes down the more you draw past the rating.

So I agree it won't do rated wattage but it is possible that it could provide a above what it should be able to deliver given the rating of the plug.

USAFRet

Titan
It can likely draw more than 2400w from the wall for awhile before anything happens. Breakers don't immediately trip above their rated current, they usually take awhile, but that time goes down the more you draw past the rating.

So I agree it won't do rated wattage but it is possible that it could provide a above what it should be able to deliver given the rating of the plug.
Yeah, in a house with a well defined electric system.

Now, combine this dumpster fire PSU with an older, marginal house....

HCG extreme's are good but the HCG golds have some issue with the 3xxx series. Have seen atleast 10-15 HCG's melt out their pcie connectors
Lot's of Antec units from the last few years, regardless of the platform they were based on, have been sort of borderline. So, no argument there. It does, as always, depend on the SPECIFIC unit in question. And that, as always too, is always the case. Always. LOL.

iTRiP

Honorable
Feb 4, 2019
HCG extreme's are good but the HCG golds have some issue with the 3xxx series. Have seen atleast 10-15 HCG's melt out their pcie connectors

Jesus, why would that happen on a quality unit? Luckily for me that hasn't happened on any of my PSU's, I think I would have noticed that, Unlike back in the day before I bought quality units.
Like I said above, I've been running this EXTREME unit for about four years and it still going smooth, having set my RX Vega 64 to the 220Watt option and combined with the rest of my components CPU at 125watt and the like, I can game all night and day no problem, I wonder what kind of a response I would get should I run into any trouble before the 10years warranty is up.

I'm probably not nearly drawing what this unit [ ANTEC HCG GOLD EXTREME] is capable of or putting it in any kind of danger of melting anything.

In my other second pc with its lower priority I have an COOLERMASTER V 1000 Gold, witch has been running for roughly a year and a half 24/7 smoothly, both are 83amp, but for both I don't know what year they are manufactured.

At this point I'm wondering what unit might suit my needs in the future, but when the time comes I'll surely pickup something excellent again.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Jesus, why would that happen on a quality unit?

There are lemons, even among the best. And for that reason, we have warranty.

As of melting connectors go, perhaps the manufacturing defect with the cables was the issue, rather than PSU itself. :unsure: This is easily prevented by using custom sleeved compatible cables. E.g from CableMod.

Reactions: King_V