PSU recs: quiet, 300w - 400w, <80$ to replace noisy Acer unit

bmyles2

Prominent
Apr 25, 2017
I recently purchased an Acer Aspire ATC-780A-UR12, unfortunately the PSU is super loud at all times. Looking to replace with some thing quieter. I'm a computer hardware newbie so bear with me. ATX size, only upgrades planned are an ssd and ram. In my research I've found the seasonic 360w gold and 250w bronze have been recommended as good all around units. Are they signficantly quieter than a cheaper EVGA? Any other recommendations? Thanks in advance

Solution
If you're fine with mail-in rebates, the CX450M from Corsair would be my suggestion at $30.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $29.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-25 12:29 EDT-0400

Greater wattage that you need, but no big deal.

Should be pretty quiet, and definitely much quieter than the stock PSU.
Looking at that system though, you've got a top mounted PSU so it'll be drawing warm(ish) air in, and exhausting out the back.
Always going to be warmer (and therefore a higher chance of the fan kicking...

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
If you're fine with mail-in rebates, the CX450M from Corsair would be my suggestion at $30.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($29.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $29.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-04-25 12:29 EDT-0400

Greater wattage that you need, but no big deal.

Should be pretty quiet, and definitely much quieter than the stock PSU.
Looking at that system though, you've got a top mounted PSU so it'll be drawing warm(ish) air in, and exhausting out the back.
Always going to be warmer (and therefore a higher chance of the fan kicking in) than a bottom mounted PSU drawing cool, outside air in).

You could always go totally fanless/passively cooled, but those PSUs are going to push you over your $80 upper end.

Solution