[SOLVED] PSU running hot

H2rraDelfiin

Reputable
Jul 8, 2017
I bought a Corsair RM850x PSU. I bought it for the zero rpm feature(until 40% workload), but it seems like the fans won't kick in when it should.
Under heavy the PSU case gets suspiciously hot where the PSU case feels like 50-60 degrees when I put it under stresstest, but the fan wont start spinning.
When I do a restart while the PSU is at high temperatures, the fans stay on beyond the initial starting phase and turn back off when they have cooled down, so the fans clearly work.
I am using a GTX 1070 and ryzen 2600.

Is it normal for a PSU to get that hot and does it pose any problems?

Solution
I agree that a gut feeling isn't scientific and I couldn't find a solid answer by googling, that is why I made this post.

I measured it on the bottom of the PSU case.

I am using a corsair elite 110 case

Mostly just worried about it being harmful for the PSU or if is it a sign for a malfunctioning PSU.

Pretty sure you meant Cooler Master Elite 110.

I was going to suggest running a combo of Prime95 and Furmark, but it sounds like you figured out that you were being a bit overly cautious.

Blackink

Distinguished
According to the Owner's Manual for that PSU, Over-temperature protection (OTP) OTP ensures that the PSU will shut down when the internal temperature reaches a set point. This is usually as a result of internal current overloading or a fan failure.
And if the PSU shuts down, you'll know it because youir computer will shut down.

H2rraDelfiin

Reputable
Jul 8, 2017
150 watt video card, 65 watt processor, about 60 watts more for the rest.

275 Watts that's under the 40% mark.

The fan should kick on at about 340 watts.

How are you measuring the heat?

Measuring it with a thermocouple.
As of I have read, the 40% no rpm is a rough estimate, where it should kick in with temperature count, but again, read that on these forums can't be 100% certain of the that legitimacy.

I bought a Corsair RM850x PSU. I bought it for the zero rpm feature(until 40% workload), but it seems like the fans won't kick in when it should.
Under heavy the PSU case gets suspiciously hot where the PSU case feels like 50-60 degrees when I put it under stresstest, but the fan wont start spinning.
When I do a restart while the PSU is at high temperatures, the fans stay on beyond the initial starting phase and turn back off when they have cooled down, so the fans clearly work.
I am using a GTX 1070 and ryzen 2600.

Is it normal for a PSU to get that hot and does it pose any problems?

"Feels" suspiciously hot isn't very scientific.

You said you used thermocouples. Where?

Also, the RMx fan is controlled by temperature OR load. If the temps are too high, but the load is low, the fan should still kick in.

And what case are you using?

H2rraDelfiin

Reputable
Jul 8, 2017
"Feels" suspiciously hot isn't very scientific.

You said you used thermocouples. Where?

Also, the RMx fan is controlled by temperature OR load. If the temps are too high, but the load is low, the fan should still kick in.

And what case are you using?

I agree that a gut feeling isn't scientific and I couldn't find a solid answer by googling, that is why I made this post.

Mostly just worried about it being harmful for the PSU or if is it a sign for a malfunctioning PSU.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador

I would go by what he says you do know who he is right?.

Former owner/reviewer @ jonnyguru.com
Former technical marketing manager @ Corsair
Former PSU PM @ Corsair
Currently Director of R&D (PSU's, cables, connectors and other skunkworks projects) @ Corsair

H2rraDelfiin

Reputable
Jul 8, 2017
Work the PSU harder with a stress test of both CPU and GPU simultaneously and see if the fan kicks in.
I had turned off the case fan and within around 30 minutes the fans gently started to spin.

It seems the temp sensor is working and the PSU is capable of tolerating much more heat than I had expected.

Pretty sure you meant Cooler Master Elite 110.

I was going to suggest running a combo of Prime95 and Furmark, but it sounds like you figured out that you were being a bit overly cautious.

Solution