PSU Steal?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, you're only 50% likely to get your $25 rebate if you mail it in. That's been my experience, half of the time companies will screw with you for a while trying to get you to give up, and when you don't, they'll tell you that your rebate was lost and you need to re-submit some crucial part (such as a box tab) that they know you can't possibly re-submit.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I agree, most of the time rebates are a scam( not maybe a scam but hard to get). I can get one back but it takes alot of time. Just make sure you photocopy all the items before sending it in.

Instant rebate is best, mail in coupon rebate is a hassle.

A good source for help is Computer Shopper magazine, they have a place where you can complain about rebates, they do a good job of getting your rebate.

You are lucky if you don't have to work at getting a rebate.

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

fate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
It took some time to get the rebates, but it did come. I guess most just expect it to be instant (I wish it was too).

But still for a psu like that, isn't it worth the risk, with the instant rebate they're matching ZZF.

the_Prisoner

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
I should of said in terms of an "instant" rebate is the kind that you get a rebate at the time of purchase.

The mail in rebates are a hassle. It may take months to get a rebate. Most people just give up. Like I stated before the "Computer Shopper" magazine has a good forum/complaint forum to get your rebates. The people at the magazine call on
these manufactors and sellers.

This is a great topic to bring up!

the Prisoner

I'm not a number, I'm a free man! :mad:

fate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
For sure the instant rebate is the best, as it's essentially just a limited time price drop.

But I was trying to emphasize is that if the product has an instant rebate lowering the price equal to competitors, as well as an additional mail-in rebate - then why not take a gamble?

An additional thing, thank you for mentioning the magazine, I'll be sure to check it out should (when) I get hassled.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by fate on 07/25/05 11:56 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

pkquat

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2005
The $25 mail in rebate is not valid for purchases before July. 27th. Newegg confirmed this in an email reply.

I am not sure what the $25 mail in rebate was back on the 21st but Newegg showed the same $25 mail in rebate along with their $15 instant rebate on the 25th and the 26th. To me and a legal friend their add showing the price including the $25 rebate is false advertising, and they could be liable for the rebate price. At the very least you can cancel the order, and may have to pay return shipping if the product was already received. If it is en route, you should be able to refuse it and call your credit card company to refuse the billing.

Trying to get the rebate or return shipping dollars out of Newegg would probably cost more that there value, if they decline to accept their false advertising. At most they they could get fined or just get a bad mark from the better business bureau. In essence the rebate does state the the dates purchases are valid, and the rebate is available for viewing. The false advertising that they show the rebate in their advertised price before the rebate is valid.

fate

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2004
I was checking out the rebate today and I actually saw that. Yeah it's definitely pretty shady. However I didn't order the psu yet, and the case I want just came in stock today, so if I were to order tomorrow I would be clear for the rebate.