Question Psu Tester which one

mick1964

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2016
Looking to buy a psu tester and not sure which one to buy one with screen or without screen. can someone post a link to the one i should buy from the ebay uk

What is your budget?
A proper tester will go for more than $5000.
The simple paper clip test is good only to verify a dead psu.
More elaborate testers may show voltages and such, but they do not say anything about proper operation of the psu.

Unfortunately about the only way to test a suspect psu is to replace it with a known good quality psu of sufficient power.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I have seen this one mentioned and used often for "troubleshooting videos"

PassMark Inline PSU Tester Review | TechPowerUp

It isn't cheap, but not nearly as much as other options. My personal opinion is that if you were going to spend $500+ dollars to check a PSU once every little while...you could have purchased 4/5 good quality PSU units new and known to be good instead.

edit- I would mention that it isn't uncommon for the paperclip test to power up a PSU that is still not putting out the proper voltages. That alongside a meter (that you know how to use properly) is about the cheapest method to get an idea of PSU state, but even then it is without the load(s) it would have when plugged into the motherboard and components.