PSU tier list 2.0

Page 38 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

That was kind of my thought too. And I was thinking, dang it, did somebody update ELECTRICITY and I missed the review?

Achaios

Honorable
BANNED
May 28, 2013
Hello guys. Many thanks for compiling this list, although I think that the 1.0 version should still have been available. On topic:

I saw somebody mentioned the former "Hiper" PSU brand in p18. Hiper should be in T5. I don't know if you guys are aware, I think they went out of business ca 2011.

Here's my 0.2:

In 2011, I owned a Core 2 Extreme QX9650@3.8 GHz (moderate OC) on a GA-P35-DS4 incl a ATI Radeon HD 5830. The PSU powering the rig was a Hiper HPU-5K880 (880W) with just 30A on the 12V rail.

The unit I had blew up after about 2 months of use. My total power draw in that system never exceeded 400W. Fortunately, it did not destroy my rig when it blew up. I still don't know why and how come my rig wasn't destroyed alongwith the PSU.

( I didn't know pretty much nothing about PSU's back then. I had gone to my neighborhood's computer shop, and had bought the most expensive GPU they had for sale which was the Radeon HD 5830. Then the employee told me "hey you need a good PSU to pwer this. Why don't you buy the Hiper 880W?)

Edit: I forgot to say my Radeon HD 5830 died before the PSU blew up, after just 2 months of use. Not sure if the PSU was somehow responsible.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador

In which she does burnouts at the drag strip and ruins the cars diff.(or whatever the hell is supposed to be worn out besides tires).

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I really don't like that term, 'aged', especially when it concerns psu's. The design of the Seasonic G is solid, no ifs, no ands, no butts. The new GS is 'based' on the G, its not a duplicate. So any caps, that some would consider 'questionable' have been replaced by newer, better caps, but the basic design is still there. And it works, and works very well. Change a 85° 47uf chemical cap on a choke for a 105° 47uf solid cap on the same choke and it works the same. No different. If a psu design was solid 4 years ago, its solid now, it'll be a solid design 10 years from now, unless pc power requirements drastically change.

My Seasonic M12-II 520w isn't a new design, but I dare anyone to tell me that because it's an 'aged' design, its now crap.

(don't even think about it darkbreeze, lol)

I wouldn't think of it, well, maybe for just a second. Actually, what you're saying falls right in line with my sarcastic comment regarding the fact that "electricity" must have been "updated", and I missed the review. Dang it, now I have to get a new PSU that's not "dated" and works with this "new" electricity. Sigh. JK, no offense to anyone. Just being ridiculous.

sivashanth2001

Reputable
Jul 7, 2015

Same case here. My Antec 620C PSU is based off the M12-II 620W, which I certainly don't think is bad at all. It has all-Japanese Chemi-Con and Rubycon caps, rated at 85° or 105°. Love the almost silent ball-bearing fan. One of the few reasons why they are still on sale in the UK on many sites. Personally, I only trust Seasonic for power supplies (as an OEM or the manufacturer itself).

(As I'm sort-of a noob, I only heard of Super Flower about a year ago and I hope I wasn't the only one who laughed when I heard its name :)

i found "be quiet!" to be quite amusing brand name. it's got a bit or authoritative feel to it. took me a while to realize that it's a brand name.
a lot of low end psus have grand, larger-than-box names. after learning about psus, i found cooler master, raidmax, aerocool and thermaltake psus model names quite funny e.g. "elite" power, "extreme" power, "smart" power and so on. there're no shortage of those. :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I think the most over abused term would be a single word. Gold. You can take the biggest pile of crap psu ever designed and built, slap the word 'Gold' in the title, and the masses, for some reason I've never been able to fathom, will automatically assume it must be decent

Not English! American! And it means exaggerating qualities of a product. As in used car terms like 'Immaculate', 'Sacrifice', 'Mint', etc. The US courts permit such terms because, the courts' standpoint is that no one believes such claims.

My neighbors are English, from Birmingham; I will request them for the British meaning of the term.

Turb0Yoda

Expert
Ambassador
The thing is, I've seen 750 ti's work on OEM machines with 300 watts... I did the calculations, and it comes out too:

-CPU: 65 watts max
-GPU: 64 watts max
-Other Stuff: 40 watts absolutely overkill for one HDD and two sticks of DDR2 and a dvd player
------------------------------
Total: 180 watts max...

The 750 and 750 TI call for 400w minimum. It will probably "run" on a lower capacity unit, but so will a lot of cards. Doesn't make it a good idea. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a 300w unit with a 6 pin PCI connector. There may be some, but I'm not familiar with any. Most the 750 TI models need at least a 6 pin, although I know there are a few that don't require a supplemental connector.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
If you figure @100w for a pc, (drives, mobo, fans, ram etc) 75w for pcie slot, then add cpu, you'll find @225-275w is about average. Granted there will be lower wattage stuff like some of the Alienware is 180w psu etc, but mostly mid 200's is about right.

The problem isn't the measly 250w draw on a 300w unit, its the 250w draw on a measly 300w psu. Most of those 'dime a dozen' brand less OEM psus used by major labels are just so cheaply made for mass production, the actual claims say 300w but in reality are closer to 250w, I've even seen one that tested out at a 208w maximum. And that's if they'll even handle 100% full loads without blowing up. This is why 750ti min required is 400w,not because it needs it, but because it's so efficient that it'll work on those crap OEM, technically.

Status
Not open for further replies.