Question PSU Tiers

Sep 11, 2024
Hey fellow PC builders,

I wanted to ask: what do you think about categorizing PSUs into tiers? I've heard of the Cultists Tier List and also psu prices to go alongside it. Has anyone else used this site or similar tier lists for PSU shopping?

Also, for those who have used tier lists, how much do you factor them into your final decision vs. other criteria like specific features or brand preferences?

Power supply tier lists are very useful for those with little direct psu experience.
That includes most of us, including me.
I like the detail found on the cultists list mentioned above.

But, I might have issue with the assignment of tiers which has some subjectivity to it.

Not knowing anything else, I suggest people look at the warranty and select candidates with longer 7 years of warranty or more.
Then check on reviews from a reputable site.
I miss the jonnyguru reviews.

Sep 11, 2024
Power supply tier lists are very useful for those with little direct psu experience.
That includes most of us, including me.
I like the detail found on the cultists list mentioned above.

But, I might have issue with the assignment of tiers which has some subjectivity to it.

Not knowing anything else, I suggest people look at the warranty and select candidates with longer 7 years of warranty or more.
Then check on reviews from a reputable site.
I miss the jonnyguru reviews.
Warranty information sounds good. Why 7 years?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I've been hitting up Cybenetics recently, but they don't have a very comprehensive list. But a few of the newer ATX 3.0 and 3.1 PSUs are in their lists, and as long as they pass Cybenetics gold, should be pretty decent. It would be nice if 80 Plus was more than a set of specs to hit and actually a measure of quality.

Actually kind of hoping LTT Labs PSU testing division gets a large enough dataset to be useful.

Gamer's Nexus also went down that path, but it seems they've shifted directions.

What most find out is that there is little return for doing a lot of PSU reviews. Most people don't buy PSUs with any real thought behind it, but they will look up articles on CPUs and GPUs.

What I can say is, that since I started paying attention to PSUs, I haven't had an unstable system in many years.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Sep 11, 2024
I've been hitting up Cybenetics recently, but they don't have a very comprehensive list. But a few of the newer ATX 3.0 and 3.1 PSUs are in their lists, and as long as they pass Cybenetics gold, should be pretty decent. It would be nice if 80 Plus was more than a set of specs to hit and actually a measure of quality.

Actually kind of hoping LTT Labs PSU testing division gets a large enough dataset to be useful.

Gamer's Nexus also went down that path, but it seems they've shifted directions.

What most find out is that there is little return for doing a lot of PSU reviews. Most people don't buy PSUs with any real thought behind it, but they will look up articles on CPUs and GPUs.

What I can say is, that since I started paying attention to PSUs, I haven't had an unstable system in many years.
I know, PSUs aren't discussed much, or atleast less than they should be. Unfortunate.

Sep 11, 2024
An arbitrary number.
Some budget units are ok at 5 years.
Less than 5 years, stay away.
A power supply, particularly for a gamer can be a a relatively long lived purchase.
Spending $100 for a higher powered psu with a 10 year warranty will allow for a graphics card upgrade.
For the 10 years, question is, would it actually be usable after 10 years, in terms of wattage? But yeah I get the point, 5+ years minimum.

I'd agree with others above. Tier lists are very useful in getting a good idea of brand and model. I then research each model I'm interested in by reading comprehensive reviews. The PSU is very important, and also as suggested above, most people have no idea about them, or how they power the system. It's perhaps the singular most important component in a PC build.

Tom's do quite a few reviews of PSUs along with a few others.

There are also a few very knowledgeable mods/ambassadors who have some expertise here.

For the 10 years, question is, would it actually be usable after 10 years, in terms of wattage? But yeah I get the point, 5+ years minimum.
The min warranty level I'd go with is 7 years. 10 years preferably. Any good PSU worth it's salt, will have a 10 year warranty. With that you get peace of mind that it's made with quality components, and has robust over/under protections.