Question PSU too weak?

Dec 19, 2020
Hello. I'm having a problem with my psu. I have a motherboard model MSI B365M pro-vdh and a cpu i5 7400 3.00 ghz. I bought a case with a standard psu of 500w and seeing that it wasn't getting enough power (only with RAM attached) I bought a 600w one.

Using both power supplies one for the motherboard and one for the cpu it powers up fine. Is this normal, should I just splash out on a 850w psu or is there anything else that I could try?

Thank you in advance for your help :)

Hello. I'm having a problem with my psu. I have a motherboard model MSI B365M pro-vdh and a cpu i5 7400 3.00 ghz. I bought a case with a standard psu of 500w and seeing that it wasn't getting enough power (only with RAM attached) I bought a 600w one.

Using both power supplies one for the motherboard and one for the cpu it powers up fine. Is this normal, should I just splash out on a 850w psu or is there anything else that I could try?

Thank you in advance for your help :)
Something not right here. Did the case come with a power supply already in it? What is the brand and model of the case and both power supplies? Please be specific. There's no reason to be using 2 power supplies.

Dec 19, 2020
Hi.

I'm sorry I tried to simplify the entire thing to explain myself but it's probably better if I take you through the journey. As soon as all of the parts arrived and my computer was nice and ready to be booted up, I pressed the button to switch it on, it lit up and then powered down about one second after. Seeing that, i assumed it wasn't getting enough power, so i started to strip it down till I had only motherboard, cpu and one stick of ram connected. Seeing that wasn't working either I ordered a new psu. The case is Black Mid ATX Computer PC Case CIT With 500W PSU mATX Tower 4x USB, the cheapest I could find on ebay honestly so I swapped the 500w for a 600w that i ordered separately. Plugging in the 600 only it was not working. So out of curiosity I tried using one for the motherboard and one for the cpu and it powered on but not started properly and it would not power on at all with the graphics card in.

My question is, am I to assume that that's the entire problem? Or can it be something different that doesn't involve the psu?

Hi.

I'm sorry I tried to simplify the entire thing to explain myself but it's probably better if I take you through the journey. As soon as all of the parts arrived and my computer was nice and ready to be booted up, I pressed the button to switch it on, it lit up and then powered down about one second after. Seeing that, i assumed it wasn't getting enough power, so i started to strip it down till I had only motherboard, cpu and one stick of ram connected. Seeing that wasn't working either I ordered a new psu. The case is Black Mid ATX Computer PC Case CIT With 500W PSU mATX Tower 4x USB, the cheapest I could find on ebay honestly so I swapped the 500w for a 600w that i ordered separately. Plugging in the 600 only it was not working. So out of curiosity I tried using one for the motherboard and one for the cpu and it powered on but not started properly and it would not power on at all with the graphics card in.

My question is, am I to assume that that's the entire problem? Or can it be something different that doesn't involve the psu?
You really need to list all the parts you're trying to use so we can figure this out. You need to list the brand and model of each part. Be specific. Let's make sure all the parts you have are compatible with each other. Once that is established we can troubleshoot the problem. Be sure to use the 'reply' button on this post so I know you've answered it.
CPU:
Motherboard:
Memory:
Storage:
GPU:
PSU:

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS