[SOLVED] PSU Voltage Tolerances higher than standard but the system working, any threat?

Apr 29, 2021
Today I noticed that my PSU +12V Voltage Tolerance is higher than standard but the system works fine!
Is there any threat?

Standard for +12V Voltage Tolerance:
+12±5% (±0.60 V)+11.40 V to +12.60

Column Order from left to right:
Sensor | Value | Min | Max
dsvsve.png

Last edited:
Solution
Yeap it could be the inaccuracy problem.

No. It's not that it's inaccurate. It's that it's wrong. No motherboard gets power readings from the PSU unless it's a "smart" PSU (one with an actual I2C or USB data output). This data is coming from an IC on the motherboard (we use the genericization "Winbond chip" because the early motherboards all used the same Winbond WB83783 hardware monitor chip and even though Windbond makes other chips) that then reports to the BIOS. The software then grabs it from the BIOS.

If your really concerned about voltages, you should use a multi-meter.

And like @refillable said, Green plays the whole field. You could have one that's probably a keeper for 10 years or another one that's a...
Apr 29, 2021
If you have a low or mediocre system then it may not matter however if yours is a high end gaming rig then yes it does matter. The 12V limit is exceeded under peak demand and the system shuts down.
Your 12V rail is below spec.
Yeap, My system is old :)
But I can't afford to buy a new one for now.

Specs:
Motherboard: Albatron PMG31
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9500
NVIDIA GeForce GT 220
2*2GB DDR2-SDRAM
PSU 330W - GP330A-HE
1 SSD, 1 HDD

Software monitoring of hardware voltages is always sketchy at best.

The whole system is ancient, it could well be the board throwing up inaccurate voltages aswell as / instead of the psu.

That said, you should never have been using a green power branded psu in the first place in all honesty, it depends how much you value your system even though its old and value wise its not really worth anything.

Reactions: hosseinrajabi125
Apr 29, 2021
Software monitoring of hardware voltages is always sketchy at best.

The whole system is ancient, it could well be the board throwing up inaccurate voltages aswell as / instead of the psu.

That said, you should never have been using a green power branded psu in the first place in all honesty, it depends how much you value your system even though its old and value wise its not really worth anything.

About the PSU, It's a partly local brand named "Green [https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=fa&tl=en&u=https://green.ir/]" and has one of the best reviews for its quality and affordability in my country, Iran.
Other good brands are expensive or very expensive to buy because of our low currency value.
And other stuff available are cheap Chinese PSUs.
So I don't have much of a choice.

Thank you for your advice.

Last edited:

jasonf2

Distinguished
If that were my computer I would get an RMS meter on the 12v power and verify voltages. If the 12v number is correct I would replace the power supply. Being that far out of spec can long term damage components (especially ones with motors) and cause system instability. That being said PSU prices are stupid high right now.

No. It's not that it's inaccurate. It's that it's wrong. No motherboard gets power readings from the PSU unless it's a "smart" PSU (one with an actual I2C or USB data output). This data is coming from an IC on the motherboard (we use the genericization "Winbond chip" because the early motherboards all used the same Winbond WB83783 hardware monitor chip and even though Windbond makes other chips) that then reports to the BIOS. The software then grabs it from the BIOS.

If your really concerned about voltages, you should use a multi-meter.

And like @refillable said, Green plays the whole field. You could have one that's probably a keeper for 10 years or another one that's a potential firestarter. Really depends on the model.

Solution