[SOLVED] PSU?

Jun 10, 2020
I bought a Dell AIO pc and after a while, it started to slow down.so i wanted to upgrade my cpu from i5 6600 to a 7700K + OC but comes the problem.the last cpu uses the 65 w while the newer one is 91w will my 200w psu handle it? or should I put a new psu?
Dell AiO 7440
i5 6600
sodimm 8 gb (upgrade to 32 gb soon)
planning to add a 1660ti in there too
dont mind have everything without a back cover
how much is enough for both gpu and cpu?

Solution
I can't imagine you'll get much of a benefit from 32 GB of RAM unless you're doing workstation tasks. Stop at 16 GB if not.

The rest of the upgrades aren't likely to happen unless you have a very unusual AIO. AIO's are essentially awkward laptops, not desktops, and if you're using SODIMM, you don't appear to have one of the rare exceptions.

Here's an image of a motherboard from a Dell AIO with an i5-6500 (you didn't provide your exact model).

s-l1600.jpg

Like most AIOs, there's something crucial missing: a PCI-Express slot. You'll also run into problems upgrading the power supply, but if you can't upgrade the GPU, then a PSU upgrade likely isn't needed.

If you're going to actually upgrade...
This is an AIO, upgrading is very limited. I would be concerned the psu is not enough for the cpu upgrade, it is definitely not enough for the gpu. I have doubts about it even being possible to change the gpu. The other problem is heat, it’s unlikely the cooling solution is good enough for the 7700k. Also did Dell ever sell that pc with a 7700k, if no there is no guarantee the OEM motherboard will have BIOS support for a 7700k.

Have you actually looked at what psu options are available, I assume it is an external brick.

Bassplate

Reputable
I bought a Dell AIO pc and after a while, it started to slow down.so i wanted to upgrade my cpu from i5 6600 to a 7700K + OC but comes the problem.the last cpu uses the 65 w while the newer one is 91w will my 200w psu handle it? or should I put a new psu?
Dell AiO 7440
i5 6600
sodimm 8 gb (upgrade to 32 gb soon)
planning to add a 1660ti in there too
dont mind have everything without a back cover
how much is enough for both gpu and cpu?
200W is way to low for component upgrading...Your Pc will run slow and if you are going to upgrade to graphics cards your going to need a new Power supply.
a 650W power supply is really powerful or a 500W Power supply....If you upgrade your power supply first then you don't have to worry about low voltage on the components.
200W May handle the i5 7700k but i dont think so

DSzymborski

Titan
I can't imagine you'll get much of a benefit from 32 GB of RAM unless you're doing workstation tasks. Stop at 16 GB if not.

The rest of the upgrades aren't likely to happen unless you have a very unusual AIO. AIO's are essentially awkward laptops, not desktops, and if you're using SODIMM, you don't appear to have one of the rare exceptions.

Here's an image of a motherboard from a Dell AIO with an i5-6500 (you didn't provide your exact model).

s-l1600.jpg

Like most AIOs, there's something crucial missing: a PCI-Express slot. You'll also run into problems upgrading the power supply, but if you can't upgrade the GPU, then a PSU upgrade likely isn't needed.

If you're going to actually upgrade this PC, you need to buy a proper motherboard, case, power supply, and RAM that's appropriate for a desktop, and then move the CPU into it. Or sell the i5-6500 and build on a more modern platform.

Unfortunately, AIOs are terrible purchases for upgrading. You pretty much use them until they become too slow and then they go off to the recycling center. Companies like selling these because they're essentially expensive, disposable computers.

Now, if your performance has gotten worse, it's likely you would get a lot of benefit from just doing a full wipe and reinstall of Windows. PCs don't really "wear" in this manner, so if the same software used in the same way runs worse now than before, it's likely there's just something else going on.

Reactions: Bassplate
Solution
Jun 10, 2020

s-l1600.jpg

If you're going to actually upgrade this PC, you need to buy a proper motherboard, case, power supply, and RAM that's appropriate for a desktop, and then move the CPU into it. Or sell the i5-6500 and build on a more modern platform.

Unfortunately, AIOs are terrible purchases for upgrading. You pretty much use them until they become too slow and then they go off to the recycling center. Companies like selling these because they're essentially expensive, disposable computers.

Now, if your performance has gotten worse, it's likely you would get a lot of benefit from just doing a full wipe and reinstall of Windows. PCs don't really "wear" in this manner, so if the same software used in the same way runs worse now than before, it's likely there's just something else going on.
I did provide the model. it is a 7440 aio with 6600 i5