Psystar Software Will Make Your PC Run OS X

Status
Not open for further replies.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
In Apple's EULA, it states that its Mac OS X software may only be used on Apple hardware – something that PC enthusiasts find unfortunate and restrictive.

I see nothing unfortunate. I must be in the minority of pc enthusiasts.

08nwsula

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
psystar has always seemed a little shady, but I give them credit for sticking it to apple. If apple wanted such exclusivity, they should have stuck to their own hardware instead of copying windows machines.

Yoder54

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
[citation][nom]08nwsula[/nom]If apple wanted such exclusivity, they should have stuck to their own hardware instead of copying windows machines.[/citation]

That is one of the stupidest statements that I have heard in quite sometime. Copying Windows machines? The Apple I was the first with a single circuit board used in a computer. The first home computer with a GUI or graphical user interface was the Apple Lisa. Steve Jobs and Steve Wozniak made the first ready-made personal computer. The Apple II was one of the first computers with a color display. The Apple Newton MessagePad is one of the first-ever Personal Digital Assistants (PDA) - a term coined by Apple's then-CEO John Sculley. Then there is the iPod and all of the "firsts" that came with it.

So what is it that Apple is copying from the "PC"?" Please don't say the OS.

pple was the company that made personal computing affordable and they have always been knocked for being so proprietary. If you are referring to the OS, well you need to read about the OS wars and learn who stole what from whom.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]podsix[/nom]Gentlemen, start your attorneys.[/citation]

So true and so sad. Who the hell Apple is to tell me what I can install or not in MY hardware!? If I paid for it, I can do as much as I want to with it.

G

OSX Server can be run in a VM. but that probably wont be cheap though... But if your running an AMD chip with virtualization support it's possible.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Try the Chameleon Bootloader - it is free, and works like a real OS X machine with updates and not like a hackinstosh.
http://aserebln.blogspot.com/

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
After some quick searching I see this is not the first software that allows you to do this (although its probably a fair bit easier) Interesting to me, ultimately useless but I will play around with it :)

raden_muaz

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]Honis[/nom]I'm running AMD machines... Damn!As much as I dislike Apple, I do want to learn how to use OS X cheaply.[/citation]
Well you can still use typical Hackintosh like everyone else. At least it's somehow free.

kingssman

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2006
How does Psystar expect to stay in business with such blatent lawsuit infringement. At least EFI-X stood a chance because it wasn't made "exclusively" to install OSx on PCs, it just gave you the option to. Course EFI-X also stole from open source communities.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
If apple wanted such exclusivity, they should have stuck to their own hardware instead of copying windows machines.

Yes, because MS owns intel, nvidia, and AMD...

Except they don't. Why don't you start getting mad at the Wii and PS3 for 'copying windows machines'. And also they didn't use there own hardware before the intel switch. Their CPU's were from IBM, their graphics were from ATI and Nvidia.

tektek

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
is this like bringing in a picky mother in law MA-COSX (yah read it slowly).. to my humble house which hosts my wife (Vistie) who's bumming around watching soaps all day eating bonbons i mean memory like a hog. while I have fun making out with our can DO IT ALL MADE (SUSE) in laundry room downstairs? can someone not open the door when she arrives plz?

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
[citation][nom]08nwsula[/nom] If apple wanted such exclusivity, they should have stuck to their own hardware instead of copying windows machines.[/citation]

Its not "copying windows machines." Its using the most cost-effective hardware options--a decision that is the same for all PC vendors. Apple tried to be independent, but gave up after Motorola kept sucking so much at producing the PPC chips.

I think this is great. I would love to dual boot a PC--then we can do a comparative OS speed test and see if the OS speed results are correct.

Also.. there are some functional reasons to dual boot- you could do design in OS X and switch to windows for outlook/gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.