Pub Quiz - 20020115

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

In article <878ydmob1g.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
: Richard Schultz wrote:
:> In article <87hdsaobqn.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

:> :> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?

:> :> 1984?

:> If I'm actually old enough to remember watching those Olympics, does that
:> make me an old fogey, or a *really* old fogey?

: I remember the 84 Olympics, so if you're talking about them, you're a
: sprightly youngster. If you're talking about the 72 Olympics, then
: you're a really old fogey, grandad.

Sorry for being unclear -- I remember watching (on TV, not in person)
Mark Spitz win his seven gold medals. I also remember the other events
of the 1972 Olympics (the Americans getting the basketball gold medal
stolen from them and the murders of the Israeli athletes).

-----
Richard Schultz schultr@mail.biu.ac.il
-----
"an optimist is a guy/ that has never had/ much experience"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87fz7vu0i5.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...

Time to demonstrate my stunning lack of knowledge of UK trivia... :)

> European Cities
> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
> Gardens?
> 2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den Linden?

Berlin

> 3. In which EC are the Ha'Penny Bridge and Trinity College?
> 4. In which EC are Montmartre and the Pompidou Centre?
> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?
>
> 6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?
> 7. Ballyregan Bob rewrote the record books in 1985, but in which
> sport?
> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?

I'm pretty sure it was in the 70s which narrows it down to '72 and '76.
1972?

> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?

Prayer :)

> 10. . What is the name of the Test cricket ground in Leeds?
>
> 11. Of which country was Sir Edward Barton the first prime minister?
> 12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which country was he the
> prime minister?
> 13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?
> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?
> 15. What was the first name of Winston Churchill's wife?
>
> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
> Mean Machine have in common?

Prisons

> 17. Which film, set in Wales and directed by John Ford, won the best
> picture Oscar in 1942?

How Green Was My Valley

> 18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?

Clint Eastwood

> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt

Bela Lugosi?

> 20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
> recent Harry Potter film?
> 21. Right Said Fred was a top 10 single in 1962 for who?
> 22. Which comedian had a top ten hit in 1975 with Funky Moped?
> 23. Also in 1975, with which song did Don Estelle and Windsor Davies
> have a top 5 hit?
> 24. "Snot Rap" was a 1983 top 10 hit single for which tv star and DJ?
> 25. The Chicken Song was a top 5 song in 1986. From which TV series
> did it come?
>
> 26. First lines -
> All children, except one, grow up.
> 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
> Edmond, and Lucy.
> 28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking
> thirteen.

1984?

> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
> possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
> 30. Call me Ishmael.

Moby Dick

> 31. Which mode of transport was invented by Christopher Cockerill?
> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin
> 33. Who discovered penicillin?
> 34. Which film star, born Hedwig Kiesler Markey, received a patent in
> 1941 for a device for controlling torpedos by radio?
> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
> the 1893 World's Fair?

This has to be the Ferris Wheel.

> 36. In The Good Life, what was Margot and Jerry's surname?
> 37. In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dying. Who
> was later revealed to have murdered him?
> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
> on American TV?

MASH?

> 39. Who is the presenter of the quiz show 15-1?
> 40. Which actor narrated Paddington Bear?
> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
> during the Falklands War?
> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)
>
> 42. Operation Overlord was the code name for which WWII operation?

The Normandy Invasion

> 43. How was 617 Squadron better known?
> 44. Which famous battle took place on 21st October 1805?
> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
> World War I and redrew the map of Europe?

Treaty of Versailles (sp?)

> 46. In which British cathedral is the Mappa Mundi held?
> 47. In which city is the National Maritime Museum?
> 48. Which shipping area is the Bristol Channel in?
> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell Pike
> and Skiddaw?
>
> 50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?
> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?
> 52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?
> 53. Which politician once played in a band called Ugly Rumours?
> 54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?

Karl Marx

> 55. Germany's Red Army Faction was popularly called what, after its
> two founders?
> 56. What are auctioned at Tattersalls?
> 57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?
> 58. In the rhyme, which bells said "You owe me five farthings?"

The Bells of Saint Martins

Stewart Houten <s_houten@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> > 30. Call me Ishmael.
>
> Call me Moby

ObTrivia : Which book's first line is "Call me Smitty"?

> > 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
> > during the Falklands War?
> > (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)
>
> Sir Galahad?

That was my guess too, probably due to Simon Weston.

Research tells me that RFA Sir Galahad was crippled in harbor by conventional
heavy bombs, rather than a missile, and then sunk as a war grave.

(oh, and Stew, I've got a still got a bunch of your CDs.)
--
Gareth Owen
How I want a drink, alcoholic of course,

Gareth Owen <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Stewart Houten <s_houten@yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>

> > > 30. Call me Ishmael.
> >
> > Call me Moby
>
> ObTrivia : Which book's first line is "Call me Smitty"?

The Great American Novel, Philip Roth?

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> Andy Jakcsy wrote:
>>
>> > "I feel like 'Cactus Gavvy' Cravath. Do you know who that is? Right.
> Nobody
>> > does. He's the guy who had the home run record before Babe Ruth came
> along."
>> > --Tom Walsh, whom Ken Jennings passed to become winningest ever
> Jeopardy!
>> > champion
>>
>> Cravath never held the record. It was held by Ned Williamson, who hit 27
>> over a short porch in Chicago in the 1880s, until Ruth broke it.
>
> At the end of the 1920 season Cravath led all active players in career HR
> with 119. He then retired. The all-time career HR leader at that point was
> Roger Connor, with 138. Ruth passed both of them in 1921.

Bah. "Most HR by an active player" ain't a record.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:15:46 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

> European Cities
> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and the Tivoli
> Gardens?
Copenhagen
> 2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den Linden?
Berlin
> 3. In which EC are the Ha'Penny Bridge and Trinity College?
Oxford
> 4. In which EC are Montmartre and the Pompidou Centre?
Paris
> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La Scala?
Milan

> 6. Which team has won the most FA Cups?
> 7. Ballyregan Bob rewrote the record books in 1985, but in which
> sport?
Greyhound racing
> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
Swimming
> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?
> 10. . What is the name of the Test cricket ground in Leeds?
Headingly. Whether Headingly's in Leeds is a matter of opinion,
though.

> 11. Of which country was Sir Edward Barton the first prime minister?
Ireland?

> 12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which country was he the
> prime minister?
Sweden

> 13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?
> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?
Netherlands

> 15. What was the first name of Winston Churchill's wife?
"Clemmie". Probably short for Clementine, but I'm not sure.

> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, and
> Mean Machine have in common?
> 17. Which film, set in Wales and directed by John Ford, won the best
> picture Oscar in 1942?
How Green Was My Valley

> 18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?
Clint Eastwood

> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt
> 20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
> recent Harry Potter film?
Peter O'Toole

> 21. Right Said Fred was a top 10 single in 1962 for who?
Bernard Cribbins

> 22. Which comedian had a top ten hit in 1975 with Funky Moped?
No-one! The number that sold enough copies to get Jasper Carrot into
the charts was the supposed-B-side of "Funky Moped", a risque little
monologue entitled "The Magic Roundabout". "Funky Moped" was
appalling, and Carrott never pretended otherwise. That didn't stop
the BBC posing him with a moped on Top Of The Pops to sing the awful
thing, to his extreme embarrassment.

> 23. Also in 1975, with which song did Don Estelle and Windsor Davies
> have a top 5 hit?
Whispering Grass

> 24. "Snot Rap" was a 1983 top 10 hit single for which tv star and DJ?
Kenny Everett

> 25. The Chicken Song was a top 5 song in 1986. From which TV series
> did it come?
>
> 26. First lines -
> All children, except one, grow up.
Peter Pan

> 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan,
> Edmond, and Lucy.
Four Children and It?

> 28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were striking
> thirteen.
1984

> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in
> possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.
Pride and Prejudice

> 30. Call me Ishmael.
Moby Duck

> 31. Which mode of transport was invented by Christopher Cockerill?
Hovercraft
> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin
Yo-yo

> 33. Who discovered penicillin?
Alexander Fleming

> 34. Which film star, born Hedwig Kiesler Markey, received a patent in
> 1941 for a device for controlling torpedos by radio?
Buster Crabbe?

> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by George W. Ferris for
> the 1893 World's Fair?
The "pay-as-you-go" catherine wheel.

> 36. In The Good Life, what was Margot and Jerry's surname?
Ledbetter (sp?)

> 37. In the first episode of Eastenders, Reg Cox was found dying. Who
> was later revealed to have murdered him?
> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
> on American TV?
It's got to be either Fasier or Fiends. Fiends.

> 39. Who is the presenter of the quiz show 15-1?
> 40. Which actor narrated Paddington Bear?
Sir Michael Horden

> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an Excocet missile
> during the Falklands War?
> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)
Sheffield and Atlantic Conveyor

> 42. Operation Overlord was the code name for which WWII operation?
The Allied invasion of Europe

> 43. How was 617 Squadron better known?
The Dambusters

> 44. Which famous battle took place on 21st October 1805?
Trafalgar?

> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought peace after
> World War I and redrew the map of Europe?
Versailles

> 46. In which British cathedral is the Mappa Mundi held?
Winchester

> 47. In which city is the National Maritime Museum?
London

> 48. Which shipping area is the Bristol Channel in?
> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell Pike
> and Skiddaw?
Peak District

> 50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?
Lloyd-George?

> 51. Who followed U Thant as UN secretary general?
> 52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?
Rose

> 53. Which politician once played in a band called Ugly Rumours?
Mr Insincere himself.

> 54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?
Trotsky?

> 55. Germany's Red Army Faction was popularly called what, after its
> two founders?
Bader-Meinhoff group

> 56. What are auctioned at Tattersalls?
Racehorses

> 57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?
Christopher-Robin

> 58. In the rhyme, which bells said "You owe me five farthings?"
St Martins

> 59. Who had a hit in the 70s with "Mama Weer All Crazee Now"
Slade

> 60. Who has a dog called Gnasher?
Dennis the Menace. The British one in The Beano, not the feeble
American imitation, of course.

Ian Noble wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:15:46 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 11. Of which country was Sir Edward Barton the first prime minister?
> Ireland?

No

>> 14. Of which country was Badouin the King from 1951 - 1993?
> Netherlands

No.

>> 15. What was the first name of Winston Churchill's wife?
> "Clemmie". Probably short for Clementine, but I'm not sure.

It is.

>> 20. Which veteran Irish actor played Professor Dumbledore in the
>> recent Harry Potter film?
> Peter O'Toole

No.

>> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the 1950s after being
>> marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur "Spud" Melin
> Yo-yo

No

>> 34. Which film star, born Hedwig Kiesler Markey, received a patent in
>> 1941 for a device for controlling torpedos by radio?
> Buster Crabbe?

Nope.

>> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest ever rating
>> on American TV?
> It's got to be either Fasier or Fiends. Fiends.

Not in 2002.

>> 46. In which British cathedral is the Mappa Mundi held?
> Winchester

No

>> 49. In which national park would you find the mountains Scafell Pike
>> and Skiddaw?
> Peak District

Nope

>> 50. Which famous person was born at 5 Cwmdonkin Drive, Swansea?
> Lloyd-George?

No. DLG was born in Manchester, IIRC.

>> 52. Which flower is on the badge of the Boy Scouts?
> Rose

No

>> 54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the Communist Manifesto?
> Trotsky?

Nope.

>> 60. Who has a dog called Gnasher?
> Dennis the Menace. The British one in The Beano, not the feeble
> American imitation, of course.

AIUI, it was a coincidence, rather than a rip-off.

--

Keith Willoughby wrote:

> European Cities
> 1. In which EC is the statue of the Little Mermaid, and
> the Tivoli Gardens?

Copenhagen

> 2. In which EC is the Brandenberg Gate and Unter Den
> Linden?

Berlin

> 3. In which EC are the Ha'Penny Bridge and Trinity
> College?

Dublin

> 4. In which EC are Montmartre and the Pompidou
> Centre?

Paris?

> 5. In which EC are the San Siro stadium and La
> Scala?

Rome?

> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold
> medals?

1976

> 12. Olaf Palme was assassinated in 1986. Of which
> country was he the prime minister?

Sweden

> 13. Which baseball team did George W. Bush formerly own?

Texas Rangers

> 16. What do the films The Shawshank Redemption, The Green
> Mile, and Mean Machine have in common?

prisons

> 18. Which actor became Mayor of Carmel, California?

Clint Eastwood

> 26. First lines -
> All children, except one, grow up.

Peter Pan

> 27. Once there were four children whose names were Peter,
> Susan, Edmond, and Lucy.

Lion Witch & Wardrobe?

> 28. It was a bright cold day in April, and the clocks were
> striking thirteen.

1984

> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single
> man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of
> a wife.

Jane Eyre?

> 30. Call me Ishmael.

Moby Dick

> 32. What centuries-old toy became a craze in the
> 1950s after being marketed by Richard Knerr and Arthur
> "Spud" Melin

Top

> 33. Who discovered penicillin?

Flemming

> 35. Which form of entertainment was invented by
> George W. Ferris for the 1893 World's Fair?

Ferris wheel

> 38. The final episode of which series earned the highest
> ever rating on American TV?

MASH

> 41. What was the name of the British ship sunk by an
> Excocet missile during the Falklands War?

Sheffield

> (IIRC, there might be two answers to this)
>
> 42. Operation Overlord was the code name for which WWII
> operation?

Normandy invasion

> 43. How was 617 Squadron better known?

Black Sheep?

> 44. Which famous battle took place on 21st October 1805?

Trafalgar?

> 45. What was the name of the treaty of 1919 that brought
> peace after World War I and redrew the map of Europe?

Versailles

> 54. Along with Friedrich Engels, who wrote the
> Communist Manifesto?

Karl Marx

> 57. What was the name of A.A. Milne's son?

Christopher Robin

--
Dan Tilque

Glenn C. Rhoads wrote:

> Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87fz7vu0i5.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
>
>> 19. Which horror actor's real name is William Henry Pratt
>
> Bela Lugosi?

Nope

Rest correct. Except for the Pope question.

--
Keith Willoughby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyurl.com/3cptb

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:09:09 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>David Brain wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 21:15:46 +0100, Keith Willoughby
>> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>>> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold medals?
>> Swimming
>
>No.

<memo to self: try reading the question first>
1972?

(although I see that a couple of other people made the same mistake
that I did.)

--
David Brain
London, UK

David Brain wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 15:09:09 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>
>>David Brain wrote:

>>> Swimming
>>
>>No.
>
> <memo to self: try reading the question first>
> 1972?
>
> (although I see that a couple of other people made the same mistake
> that I did.)

Yeah. Strange, innit?

--

Dan Tilque wrote:

> Keith Willoughby wrote:
>> 8. In which Olympic games did Mark Spitz win his 7 gold
>> medals?
>
> 1976

No

>> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single
>> man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of
>> a wife.
>
> Jane Eyre?

No

>> 43. How was 617 Squadron better known?
>
> Black Sheep?

No

Rest corrrect

--

In rec.games.trivia Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote:

:>> 29. It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single
:>> man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

:> Jane Eyre?

: No

Although you have to admit that it's appropriate, in some weird sick way.

-----

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<873c3vtwyx.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> mUs1Ka wrote:

> >> 9. Pope John Paul II represented Poland at which sport?
> > Football
>
> No. Despite famously being a goalkeeper, he never represented Poland at
> that sport.

Hmm. I'd have gone for that. I've heard he liked swimming and skiing
too? One of them?

Or perhaps Papal Bull-riding :)

New Harvest wrote:

> Keith Willovghby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<873c3vtwyx.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...

>> > Football
>>
>> No. Despite famovsly being a goalkeeper, he never represented Poland at
>> that sport.
>
> Hmm. I'd have gone for that. I've heard he liked swimming and skiing
> too? One of them?
>
> Or perhaps Papal Bvll-riding :)

Hmm. I forgot to post the answers to this qviz.

This one is rvgby vnion.

--
Keith Willovghby
Welcome to the police state - http://tinyvrl.com/3cptb