Pub Quiz 7

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

This from 20020815

Music
1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
tune"?
4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
Capital cities
6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
people?
History
11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
TV
16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?
17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
Peter floor?
19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
Hobbies
21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?
24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
name with a hobby?
25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
Books
26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
attempted to ban?
27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?
28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?
29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?
Sport
31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)
33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
Food and Drink
36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
39. What is sake primarily made from?
40. What type of food is arborio?
General Knowledge
41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
of Technology in 1979?
52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?
53. In which US state are the Everglades?
54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
56. Who was the first US president to visit China?
57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
59. Harvard university is in which US state?
60. Which country has the longest coastline?

Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:13:22 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>This from 20020815
>
> Music
> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
> tune"?

I get by with a little help from my friends (Beatles)

> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
> Capital cities
> 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
Nigeria

> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
> 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
> people?
> History
> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
> TV
> 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?
sax

> 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
> Peter floor?
> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
> Hobbies
> 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
> 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
> 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?
a cave

> 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
> name with a hobby?
Trainspotting?

> 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
rings bells

> Books
> 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
> attempted to ban?
> 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?
Dame Agatha?

> 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?
Tale of Two Cities

> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
> 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?
The Godfather

> Sport
> 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
> 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)
> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
> Food and Drink
> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
Bourbon

> 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
Orange

> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
Mexico

> 39. What is sake primarily made from?
Rice

> 40. What type of food is arborio?
Rice again

> General Knowledge
> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
> 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
> 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
American Revolution

> 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
Dolman?

> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
1930's?

> 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
Othello

> 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
> 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
> of Technology in 1979?
> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?
Timothy MacViegh

> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?
Florida

> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?
Nixon

> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
The Knesset

> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
Massachusetts

matt wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>
>>This from 20020815
>>
>> Music
>> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
>
> cliff richard
>
>> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an
>
> Elvis
>
>> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
>> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
>> tune"?
>
> I get by with a little help from my Friends
>
>> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
>
> puccinni
>
>> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
>> Capital cities
>> 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
>
> berlin
>
>> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
>
> ethiopia
>
>> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
>

>> 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
>
> uae
>
>> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
>> people?
>
> Liechtenstein
>
>> History
>> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
>
> 3 -edward harold and william?
>
>> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
>
> dybdybdyb baden-powel
>
>> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
>
> napolean
>
>> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?

Rasputin

> [...]
>
>> 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
>
> brussels
>
>> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
>
> raglan
>
>> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
>
> 30s
>
>> 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
>> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
>
> othello or was it iago
>
>> 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
>> 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield
>
> Institute
>
>> of Technology in 1979?
>> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?
>> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?
>
> florida
>
>> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
>> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
>> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?

Richard M. Nixon

>> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
>
> knesset
>
>> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
>> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
>
> massachussets
>
>> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?
>
> canada
>
>>--
>>Keith Willoughby http://flat222.org/keith/
>>Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

--
Loyalty to the country always, loyalty
to the government when it deserves it.

Rain on a tin roof sounds like a drum.
We're marching for freedom today-ay!
So turn on your headlights
and sound your horn,
if people get in the way. --M. Python

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

"Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message

> This from 20020815
>
> Music
> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an
Elvis
> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
> tune"?

With a Little Help From My Friends

> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?

Giacomo Puccini (not Rossini!)

> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
> Capital cities
> 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?

Ethiopia

> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?

Switzerland

> 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)

United Arab Emirates

> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
> people?
> History
> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?

Helmut Kohl

> TV
> 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?
> 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
> Peter floor?
> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
> Hobbies
> 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?

philately

> 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
> 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?

caves

> 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares
its
> name with a hobby?
> 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
> Books
> 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British
government
> attempted to ban?
> 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?
> 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?

Tale of Two Cities

> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?

I want this to be Nigella Lawson's father, but that's obviously not right

> 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?

The Godfather

> Sport
> 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp

Primo Carnera

> 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)

Lance Armstrong. It's *always* Lance Armstrong.

> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
> Food and Drink
> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?

(blended) whiskey and sweet vermouth

> 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?

Mexico

> 39. What is sake primarily made from?

rice

> 40. What type of food is arborio?
> General Knowledge
> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
> 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
> 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?

a crossword puzzle

> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?

The Glorious Uprising of the People Against the Hegemony of their Oppressors
the Running Dog Imperialist Brits

> 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?

1930's

> 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?

Flo

> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
> 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
> 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield
Institute
> of Technology in 1979?
> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?

Timothy McVeigh

> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?

Florida

> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?

Richard Nixon

> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?

the Knesset

> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?

Botswana

> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?

Massachusetts

> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

Russia

matt wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
> matches

Sorta.

>> 40. What type of food is arborio?
> fruit?

Nope.

>> General Knowledge
>> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
> the mounties - nah cant be

Sorta. Looking for the name, rather than the nickname.

>> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
> othello or was it iago

Othello

Rest correct.

"I dwelt alone in a world of moan And my soul was a stagnant tide"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

In article <87oenmgj0t.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...

> This from 20020815
>
> Music
> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of tune"?

With A Little Help From My Friends

> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
> Capital cities
> 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?

Ethiopia

> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?

Liechtenstein?

> 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
> people?

Liechtenstein?

> History
> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?

2?

> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
> TV
> 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?

saxophone

> 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
> Peter floor?
> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
> Hobbies
> 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
> 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
> 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?

caves

> 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
> name with a hobby?

Trainspotting

> 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
> Books
> 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
> attempted to ban?
> 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?
> 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?

A Tale Of Two Cities

> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
> 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?

The Godfather

> Sport
> 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
> 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)
> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
> Food and Drink
> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
> 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?

Spain?

> 39. What is sake primarily made from?

rice

> 40. What type of food is arborio?
> General Knowledge
> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?

Royal Canadian Mounted Police

> 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
> 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
> 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?

Raglan?

> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
> 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?

Flo

> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
> 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
> 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
> of Technology in 1979?
> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?

Timothy McVeigh, and just recently, Terry Nichols

> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?
> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?
> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?

Knesset

> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?

Botswanna?

> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

Australia?

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Mark Brader wrote:

>> > 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
>
> Madrid.

Not the answer I have, but in the back of my mind, I remember some
argument about this already in rgt.

>> > 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
>
> Willy Brandt?

No.

Rest correct.

"Everything is broken"

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

>> Madrid.

Obviously, I misread that as "Which {European country's capital} is...".
Read "Spain".

> Not the answer I have, but in the back of my mind, I remember some
> argument about this already in rgt.

Oh, right, I think it's Andorra. Madrid is just the highest major city
that's a capital, or something like that.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "As long as that blue light is on, the
msb@vex.net computer is safe." -- Hot Millions

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message news:<87oenmgj0t.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>...
> This from 20020815
>
> Music
> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
> tune"?

I get by with a little help from my friends.
-- Beatles

> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?

Puccini

> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?

> Capital cities
> 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
> 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
> people?

> History
> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?

The year of the Norman Conquest!
Two? -- One being William the Conquerer

> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?

Rasputin

> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?

Helmot Kohl (sp?)

> TV
> 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?

Saxophone

> 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
> Peter floor?
> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?

> Hobbies
> 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
> 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
> 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?

Caves

> 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
> name with a hobby?
> 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby

> Books
> 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
> attempted to ban?
> 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?

Agatha Christie

> 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?
> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
> 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?

The Godfather

> Sport
> 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
> 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)
> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?

> Food and Drink
> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?

Whiskey (bourbon) and Sweet Vermouth.

> 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
> 39. What is sake primarily made from?

Rice.

> 40. What type of food is arborio?

> General Knowledge
> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
> 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
> 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?

U.S. Revolution

> 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?

1920s?

> 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?

Iago

> 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
> 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
> of Technology in 1979?
> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?

Timothy McVeigh

> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?

Florida

> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?

Richard M. Nixon

> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?

Massachusetts

> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

Canada?

Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
> Oh, right, I think it's Andorra. Madrid is just the highest major city
> that's a capital, or something like that.

Andorra is indeed the correct answer. But which country comes after
Andorra? Hint: it is not Spain.

--
Erland Sommarskog, Stockholm, esquel@sommarskog.se

Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Mark Brader (msb@vex.net) writes:
>
>>Oh, right, I think it's Andorra. Madrid is just the highest major city
>>that's a capital, or something like that.
>
> Andorra is indeed the correct answer. But which country comes after
> Andorra? Hint: it is not Spain.

Switzerland?

--Jeff

--

Marc Dashevsky wrote:

> In article <87oenmgj0t.fsf@flat222.dyndns.org>, keith@flat222.org says...
>> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
>
> Liechtenstein?

Andorra is what I'm looking for

>> History
>> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
>
> 2?

3. Ed the Confessor, Harold One-Eye, and Bill The Conk.

>> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?
>
> Australia?

Upper USA^W^WCanada. :)

It's worse than Benny Hill, and that's bad enough

Mark Brader wrote:

>>> Madrid.
>
> Obviously, I misread that as "Which {European country's capital} is...".
> Read "Spain".
>
>> Not the answer I have, but in the back of my mind, I remember some
>> argument about this already in rgt.
>
> Oh, right, I think it's Andorra. Madrid is just the highest major city
> that's a capital, or something like that.

Yes, Andorra is what I was looking for.

"Some cursed, some prayed, some prayed then cursed"

Barbara Bailey wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:13:22 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
>> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
> Nigeria

Ethiopia
>> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
> Bourbon

Whiskey. I'm not sure if one could be made with bourbon. Anyone?

>> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
> Mexico

Spain.

>> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
> Dolman?

Raglan

Others correct.

http://www.johnkerryisadouchebagbutimvotingforhimanyway.com/

> Barbara Bailey wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:13:22 +0100, Keith Willoughby
> > <keith@flat222.org> wrote:
> >> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
> > Nigeria
>
> Ethiopia
> >> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
> > Bourbon
>
> Whiskey. I'm not sure if one could be made with bourbon. Anyone?

Bartending is a craft, not a science. If Ms. Bailey is making them with
bourbon, I'm not going to turn down her invitation. Tradition suggests
whiskey.

Keith Willoughby wrote:
> Barbara Bailey wrote:

>>> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
>>
>>Bourbon
>

> Whiskey. I'm not sure if one could be made with bourbon. Anyone?

Bourbon is a type of whiskey, as Scotch is a type of whiskey.

--Jeff

--

Steve Grant wrote:

> "Keith Willoughby" <keith@flat222.org> wrote in message
>> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
>
> Giacomo Puccini (not Rossini!)

For once!

>> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
>
> Switzerland

Andorra, threads passim.

>> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
>
> I want this to be Nigella Lawson's father, but that's obviously not right

And, amazingly enough, it *is* correct. Nigel Lawson, who lost a
staggering amoung of weight and then wrote a book about it.

>> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
>
> Mexico

Second answer of Mexico. I have Spain, but now of course I'm doubting
myself.

>> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
>
> The Glorious Uprising of the People Against the Hegemony of their Oppressors
> the Running Dog Imperialist Brits

Best answer so far, and the most correct.

>> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?
>
> Russia

Canada.

Others correct.

"The pride and luxury in which he was educated had not allowed him to suspect
that there existed on the earth any power presumptuous enough to invade the
repose of the successor of Augustus." - Gibbon

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

<keith@flat222.org> wrote:

>This from 20020815
>
> Music
> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?
> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
> tune"?
With A little help from my Friends
> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?
> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
> Capital cities
> 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?
> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?
> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?
> 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque, anyway)
> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
> people?
> History
> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?
> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich better known?
> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?
Helmut Kohl
> TV
> 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?
Saxophone
> 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
> Peter floor?
> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
> Hobbies
> 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
> 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
> 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?
Caves
> 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
> name with a hobby?
Trainspotting (though IIRC the movie had little to do with)
> 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
> Books
> 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
> attempted to ban?
> 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?
> 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?
> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?
> 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?
The Godfather
> Sport
> 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
> 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)
Lance Armstrong
> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
> Food and Drink
> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
> 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
> 39. What is sake primarily made from?
Rice (even though It's called a Wine it's production process more
resembles Beer)
> 40. What type of food is arborio?
> General Knowledge
> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?
> 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
> 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?
> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?
The U.S. Revolution
> 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?
> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
> 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
> 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
> 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield Institute
> of Technology in 1979?
> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?
Timothy McVeigh
> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?
Florida
> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?
Richard Nixon
> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?
Kenesset
> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
Massachusets
> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in

I haven't looked at any of the other answers....

> This from 20020815
>
> Music
> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?

1. Mister Cliff Richard

> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an
> Elvis
> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)

2. Elvis Costello?

> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out
> of
> tune"?

3. With a Little Help from My Friends

> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?

4. Puccini

> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?

5. Tom Jones.

> Capital cities
> 6. Through which European capital city does the River Spree flow?

6. Berlin

> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?

7. Ethiopia

> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?

8. Andorra la Vella

> 9. Abu Dhabi is the capital of which country? (Countryesque,
> anyway)

9. UAE

> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around
> 5000
> people?

10. Liechtenstein

> History
> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?
> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of
> Mafeking?

> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?

13. Disraeli

> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich
> better known?

14. VI Lenin

> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?

15. Helmut Kohl

> TV
> 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?

16. Saxamaphone, as Homer would say

> 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?
> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
> Peter floor?

18. Polly Toynbee

> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?
> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?
> Hobbies
> 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?
> 22. Philumeny is the collecting of what objects?
> 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?

23. Spelunks. (Seriously, it's caves.)

> 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle
> shares its
> name with a hobby?

24. Trainspotting

> 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby
> Books
> 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British
> government
> attempted to ban?
> 27. The Murder of Roger Ackroyd was an early novel by whom?

27. Dame Agatha Christie.

> 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?

28. A Tale of Two Cities

> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?

29. Gordon Brown needs one....

> 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?

30. The Godfather

> Sport
> 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp
> 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)

32. The same person who won in 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2003. Lance
Armstrong.

> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?
> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?
> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?
> Food and Drink
> 36. Which spirit is used in a Manhattan?
> 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?
> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?
> 39. What is sake primarily made from?

39. Rice

> 40. What type of food is arborio?
> General Knowledge
> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in
> 1920?

41. RCMP

> 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?
> 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?

43. A banner dated February 1st 1930. (Seriously, a crossword puzzle)

> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?

44. US Revolutionary War

> 45. In which city do the football team Anderlecht play?

45. Brussels

> 46. Which Welsh town gave its name to a type of sleeve?
> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?
> 48. What was the name of Andy Capp's wife?
> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?
> 50. What was the medium-wave frequency of Radio Luxembourg?
> 51. Which famous chair was kidnapped by students from the Cranfield
> Institute
> of Technology in 1979?
> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?

52. Timothy McVeigh (wasn't Terry Nichols also convicted)

> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?

53. Florida

> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?
> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?
> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?

56. Nixon

> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?

57. Knesset

> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?

58. Zambia?

> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?

59. None; it's located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. :p

> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

60. Canada

--
Ted Schuerzinger <fedya at bestweb dot net>
The way I see it, you raised three children who could knock out and hog-

Ted Schuerzinger wrote:

> Somebody claiming to be Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> wrote in
>> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an
>> Elvis
>> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)
>
> 2. Elvis Costello?

Nope.

When I wrote the question, I knew the song as an Elvis song, but of
course, he didn't write it, and others including Willie Nelson had hits
with it.

>> 5. Who composed the song Myfanwy?
>
> 5. Tom Jones.

Kudos for recognising the Welshness, but, no.

>> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?
>
> 13. Disraeli

No. Although, he might have, of course. History does not relate.

>> 14. Born in 1870, by what name is Grigori Efimovich
>> better known?
>
> 14. VI Lenin

No.

>> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue
>> Peter floor?
>
> 18. Polly Toynbee

<snort>
>> 58. Which current country was formerly known as Bechuanaland?
>
> 58. Zambia?

Botswana.

>> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?
>
> 59. None; it's located in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts. :p

Bah!

Others correct.

The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting,
it has been found difficult and left untried."
-- G K Chesterton

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> 1. Who had his 50th top 10 record in 1987 with "My pretty one"?

Cliff?

> 2. Also in 1987, who had a Christmas number one with a cover of an Elvis
> song? (Note: Not strictly speaking an "Elvis song".)

Mel and Kim

> 3. Which song's opening line is "What would you think if I sang out of
> tune"?

WALHFMF -- TB

> 4. Who composed the opera Tosca?

Puccini?

> 7. Addis Adaba is the capital of which country?

Ethiopoa

> 8. Which European country's capital is at the highest altitude?

Spain / Madrid ?

> 10. Which country's capital, Vaduz, only has a population of around 5000
> people?

Liechtenstein :)

> 11. How many Kings ruled England in 1066?

Three (Edmund, Harold, William I)

> 12. Who was in charge of the British defenses at the Siege of Mafeking?

Gordon?

> 13. Which ruler famously called England a nation of shopkeepers?

Napoleon I

> 15. Who was the last Chancellor of West Germany?

Willi Brandt?

> 16. Which instrument does Bart Simpson's sister Lisa play?

Sax

> 17. Who advertised Cinzano with Joan Collins?

Leonard Rossiter

> 18. What was the name of the elephant that famously dirtied the Blue Peter
> floor?

Lulu

> 19. Who played the effeminate Lukewarm in Porridge?

Christopher Biggins

> 20. Who provided the voices for Dangermouse and Count Duckula?

David Jason (ObTrivia : who did he play in Porridge?)

> 21. Which hobby is most connected to Stanley Gibbons?

Philately

> 23. What would a spelunker enjoy exploring?

Caving

> 24. Which 1996 film starring Ewan MacGregor and Robert Carlyle shares its
> name with a hobby?

Trainspotting

> 25. What does a campanologist do for a hobby

Bell ringing

> 26. What was the name of the book by Peter Wright that the British government
> attempted to ban?

Spycatcher

> 28. Which Charles Dickens novel is set in the French Revolution?

Tale of Two Cities

> 29. Which ex-Chancellor of the Exchequer wrote a diet book?

Nigel Lawson

> 30. First published in 1969, what is Mario Puzo's most famous book?

The Godfather

> 31. Which boxer's nickname was The Ambling Alp

Primo Carnera (sp?)

> 32. Who won this year's Tour De France? (2002)

Same answer, though. Lance Armstrong

> 33. Who trained Red Rum to his last Grand National win?

Ginger ... something. O'Cain?

> 34. How old was Barry John when he retired from rugby?

Kings don't retire, they abdicate. 26 ish.

> 35. Which Italian club did Denis Law play for?

Juve?

> 37. Which fruit flavour is usually used in crepes suzette?

Orange?

> 38. From which country does chorizo sausage originate?

Italy

> 39. What is sake primarily made from?

Rice

> 41. What did the North West Mounted Police change their name to in 1920?

RCMP?

> 42. What is the highest mountain in the UK outside of Scotland?

Snowdon

> 43. What was first published in The Times on February 1st 1930?

A Crossword

> 44. In which war was the battle of Bunker Hill?

US ... erm ... (tosses coin) Civil War .. no, no the other one.

> 47. In which decade was Neil Armstrong born?

1920s?

> 49. In Shakespeare, who killed Desdemona?

Othello

> 52. Who was convicted for the Oklahoma City bombing?

Timothy McVeigh

> 53. In which US state are the Everglades?

Florida

> 54. Who is MP for Kingston-Upon-Hull?

Prescott

> 55. Which Welsh town became a city in 1969?

Caernarvon (for the investiture?)

> 56. Who was the first US president to visit China?

Nixon

> 57. What is the Israeli parliament called?

Knesset

> 59. Harvard university is in which US state?

Oh, heres the Massachusetts questions

> 60. Which country has the longest coastline?

Canada?

> Smoking cigarettes and watching Captain Kangaroo

Don't tell me, I've nothing to do.
--
Gareth Owen
Nerd Test: How many syllables do you think there are in the word "coax"?

Jeffrey Turner <jturner@localnet.com> writes:

> Bourbon is a type of whiskey, as Scotch is a type of whiskey.

Bourbon is a type of whiskey, Scotch is a type of whisky.
--

"Gareth Owen" <usenet@gwowen.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Jeffrey Turner <jturner@localnet.com> writes:
>
> > Bourbon is a type of whiskey, as Scotch is a type of whiskey.
>
> Bourbon is a type of whiskey, Scotch is a type of whisky.

.... except for Maker's Mark, which, alone among such spirits of American or
Irish origin, gets to omit the "e."

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia,rec.puzzles (More info?)

Keith Willoughby <keith@flat222.org> writes:

> When I wrote the question, I knew the song as an Elvis song, but of course,
> he didn't write it, and others including Willie Nelson had hits with it.

Ah. In which case its the Pet Shop Boys.
And Willie's is by far the best version.
--
Gareth Owen
Nerd Test: How many syllables do you think there are in the word "coax"?

Archived from groups: rec.games.trivia (More info?)

Bruce In Cleveland wrote:

All correct

"And the people who were choked by the reek of sties
did not get the bacon"
-- JB Priestley