Publish live streaming wirelessly

Aug 30, 2018
AT&T Small Business Router/Modem
ISP upload Tests show 10-24mbs.

Considering publishing via live stream sporting events. Based off what I can find we need a minimum upload speed of 3 mb for 720p. Games would be shot on a wireless recorder - transported wirelessly to the router and then out to the public via youtube

Several questions.

What is a normal or standard wireless upload rate from a device to a router? What is the max wireless upload rate that I can expect if everything thing was perfect?

All suggestions are welcome.

Thanks in advance

Solution
The problem you are going to have unless the software can correct for it is the variable latency on wifi.

Lets say you have a really bad interference spike and the data gets delayed 1 second. The person watch on the far end will see a stall for this period of time. I general you seldom see something as bad as a 1 second delay but you can easily see many 100ms commonly. This will make video appear to stutter.

Now if there is a intention delay buffer built into the application it can hide some of this. If it would say delay the feed 10 seconds it could then fix the data during this delay and rebuild the buffer when the problem clears up. On a VoIP call this called a jitter buffer but the buffer tends to only be 100ms since...
Wireless data rates are negotiated between the sending device and the receiving device. The bandwidth will depend on protocol (802.11 a, b, g, n, or ac), wireless carrier frequency (5 GHz carries more data than 2.4 GHz), distance, and interference. In a perfect world you can gigabit (1000 Mbit/sec) connections. In my house, I can get 54, 72, even 150 Mbit/sec pretty easily, but we are talking about 75 feet or less and no more than 1 wall. You have an idea of how far the camera will be from the router and what will be in between?

The problem you are going to have unless the software can correct for it is the variable latency on wifi.

Lets say you have a really bad interference spike and the data gets delayed 1 second. The person watch on the far end will see a stall for this period of time. I general you seldom see something as bad as a 1 second delay but you can easily see many 100ms commonly. This will make video appear to stutter.

Now if there is a intention delay buffer built into the application it can hide some of this. If it would say delay the feed 10 seconds it could then fix the data during this delay and rebuild the buffer when the problem clears up. On a VoIP call this called a jitter buffer but the buffer tends to only be 100ms since the communication is 2 way. Wifi does not work real well for VoIP sometimes because the jitter can exceed the buffer.

Solution
Aug 30, 2018

We are considering a fixed camera which will be about 75 - 100 feet. The router is in a brick room with 1 window which is facing the camera

Aug 30, 2018

Great point...Is there a particular software or hardware/software component that you would recommend? We have looked at Boxcast as a possible solution as well. But would prefer to go the "free" route if we can make it work.