[SOLVED] Pulsating humming noise coming from GPU under load

Jul 1, 2020
When i play games requiring high performance i get a pulsating noise from my PC. I figured it was my graphics card because when i press my finger against the side of it, it stops making the noise. Any idea what this could be or how to stop it? The card is a Zotac GTX 1660

Solution
Yeah it’s just a bit confusing Caus it’s so inconsistent, like I will run benchmarks while overclocking and I get nothing and then mid way through playing rise of the tomb raider it starts to like make a vibrating noise but like in a pulse so on and off not one consistent vibration.
It'll be a resonance effect where it'll vibrate at certain rpm (not necessarily the highest) due to the 'natural resonance frequency' of the fan and supporting structure. It's an interesting phenomenon that occurs in any high speed rotation - one that needs special attention in jet engines to stop them from flying apart. In your case though, maybe just a dud fan... You could try adjusting the fan curve so that at normal load in games it uses an rpm...

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
When i play games requiring high performance i get a pulsating noise from my PC. I figured it was my graphics card because when i press my finger against the side of it, it stops making the noise. Any idea what this could be or how to stop it? The card is a Zotac GTX 1660
Could be a slightly unbalanced fan. If it is dusty, give it a clean. If it is within the warranty period, then return it.

Jul 1, 2020
Could be a slightly unbalanced fan. If it is dusty, give it a clean. If it is within the warranty period, then return it.
Yeah it’s just a bit confusing Caus it’s so inconsistent, like I will run benchmarks while overclocking and I get nothing and then mid way through playing rise of the tomb raider it starts to like make a vibrating noise but like in a pulse so on and off not one consistent vibration.

deesider

Honorable
Jun 15, 2017
It'll be a resonance effect where it'll vibrate at certain rpm (not necessarily the highest) due to the 'natural resonance frequency' of the fan and supporting structure. It's an interesting phenomenon that occurs in any high speed rotation - one that needs special attention in jet engines to stop them from flying apart. In your case though, maybe just a dud fan... You could try adjusting the fan curve so that at normal load in games it uses an rpm that isn't at that frequency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_frequency

Solution
Jul 1, 2020
It'll be a resonance effect where it'll vibrate at certain rpm (not necessarily the highest) due to the 'natural resonance frequency' of the fan and supporting structure. It's an interesting phenomenon that occurs in any high speed rotation - one that needs special attention in jet engines to stop them from flying apart. In your case though, maybe just a dud fan... You could try adjusting the fan curve so that at normal load in games it uses an rpm that isn't at that frequency.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_frequency
I thought that but then I used MSI afterburner to test different fan speeds and I can’t ever hear it.

TRENDING THREADS