[SOLVED] Purchased HDMI cables not working ?

Oct 31, 2021
So recently, the old HDMI cable which was a freebie when I bought my monitor is not working anymore so I needed a new one. I searched if there is a specific type of HDMI cable i should by but all seems to say that everything should work perfectly fine. I purchased one from an online shop which is this one, https://shopee.ph/Promax-Braided-HDMI-Cable-3D-1080P-i.84149914.4945607556 and it does not seem to work. I thought it might just be that the cable is bad so I purchased another cable this time on a local computer shop which says, HDMI 2.0. but for some reason that also does not work. Since I was out of options, I asked one of my friends if they have a spare HDMI and one said he has one also a freebie from the monitor he purchased (Asus monitor). I tried it and it actually works on that. Is there something on those freebie HDMI cables from the monitor that is not from the other purchasable HDMI cables?

My monitor is an Acer EG220Q

GPU: Palit 1050 Ti

Solution
depends on the output resolution, the refresh rate, and even on the quality of the cables.

there are thousands of cheap HDMI cables out there, probably millions by now, that just do not function properly or at all though.

many of those being sold online and even at cheap shops have misleading labels too. some stating 2.0 when only 1.0, some 2.1 when only 2.0.
a lot of sellers on Amazon and other sites just have so many of them piled up in storage that will throw some cheap junk in a zip-lock bag and call it *2.1 certified.

those that come included with good hardware are verified to be functioning and are usually higher quality to avoid customer RMAs over such a minor component.
depends on the output resolution, the refresh rate, and even on the quality of the cables.

there are thousands of cheap HDMI cables out there, probably millions by now, that just do not function properly or at all though.

many of those being sold online and even at cheap shops have misleading labels too. some stating 2.0 when only 1.0, some 2.1 when only 2.0.
a lot of sellers on Amazon and other sites just have so many of them piled up in storage that will throw some cheap junk in a zip-lock bag and call it *2.1 certified.

those that come included with good hardware are verified to be functioning and are usually higher quality to avoid customer RMAs over such a minor component.

Last edited:
Solution