PWM Fan too Loud

thesenate

Reputable
Feb 28, 2018
Hi,

I purchased an ARCTIC F12 PWM - 120 mm PWM Fan and I'm using it as an exhaust fan for my case. It seems to be very loud all the time. This is what my BIOS looks like:
https://imgur.com/a/Nzvt0eI
My motherboard is an MSI H110M Pro-VH Plus.

Should I try lowering the fan speeds or are the default speeds good enough?

Thanks.

Solution
You can make your case exhaust fan follow system temperature as source instead of the CPU if the Bios let you choose, and just lower the level temp1 to 20, and the level temp 2 to 40 ( that will bring your fan to an approximate speed of 900 to 1000 RPM) and keep the rest 2 temps and speed levels unchanged (see if Bios let you lower to 40 the level 1 fan speed). You can always go back and fine tune the settings.

thesenate

Reputable
Feb 28, 2018

Thanks for the reply.
By how much would it be safe to lower the speeds? I'm thinking of lowering the level 1 speed from 50 to 30 and level 2 speed from 70 to 50. Would I be risking anything?
Thanks.

R0GG

Distinguished
You can make your case exhaust fan follow system temperature as source instead of the CPU if the Bios let you choose, and just lower the level temp1 to 20, and the level temp 2 to 40 ( that will bring your fan to an approximate speed of 900 to 1000 RPM) and keep the rest 2 temps and speed levels unchanged (see if Bios let you lower to 40 the level 1 fan speed). You can always go back and fine tune the settings.

Solution

thesenate

Reputable
Feb 28, 2018

That option is fixed to CPU, and it doesn't let me change it. I just lowered the fan speed to 40, and it's a bit quieter now.
Thanks.