Q&A: Tom's Hardware And Kingston On SSD Technology

Status
Not open for further replies.

pink315

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
"Now, with a hard drive, the arm has to move. Now, with a hard drive, the arm has to move."

I'm not sure if you were trying to be dramatic, or if you just accidentally wrote the same thought twice. Just pointing it out.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
One way to preserve some of the life of any hard drive is to shut off virtual memory. Most computers don't need it, and if you do, than you're probably better off getting more memory anyway.

The ideal thing for booting up fast would be to go back to using core memory :p. RAM that doesn't lose power when you turn it off is pretty cool. Low power, low heat, and would impress people when you say "Oh, that? It's my core memory array.". You'd get dates for sure. Can't say what they'd look like, or if they'd be sane. Or even female :( .

Still, I'd buy it. Cache handles most reads anyway, and I'm too old fashioned to feel something is a computer without some form of magnetic storage in it.

Fun read but nothing really new...

I like how good they are at dodging the tough questions.
What value is there in Kingstons Intel based SSD's vs Intel original?
Well, they helped Kingston launch a very strong product :p

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
I guess Im not a fan of these types of interviews. The interviewee is really just trying to get advertising for their product and they only say good things and gloss over the negatives. They also have some good one liners they toss out, but thats about it.

I would prefer to see the product benchmarked and compared on price..and then let us decide how we are going to spend our money.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Interesting interview.
Keep them coming. =)

Now I have the urge to go buy a 256GB SLC drive and play flaming baseball with it... I probably shouldn't...

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I like how they say, "The worst kind of writes that you can apply to an SSD are random. You will wear a drive out quicker that way". However, Kingston and Intel put all their advertising efforts into promoting the speed of their IOPS for their SSD's for server environments. That means they want you to buy their product to use it so it wears out quicker... which means you need to buy another one to replace it. Now that's a wicket smart business strategy.

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I like how they say, "The worst kind of writes that you can apply to an SSD are random. You will wear a drive out quicker that way". However, Kingston and Intel put all their advertising efforts into promoting the speed of their IOPS for their SSD's for server environments. That means they want you to buy their product to use it so it wears out quicker... which means you need to buy another one to replace it. Now that's a wicket smart business strategy.

GullLars

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2008
A couple of comments on the interview:
1. Apploading is NOT sequential, it has a high ammount of random reads. This is why SSDs are so much faster than harddrives at it. You can see this in PCmark vantage, where harddrives get 4-10MB/s in apploading, and SSDs go from 80-160MB/s.

2. Booting from an SSD over USB 3.0 is wastefull. Most SSDs support NCQ, and get 3-8x higher random read IOPS when NCQ is active, and this is noticable in everyday use. USB 3.0 does NOT support NCQ.

3. You say Windows 7 requires minimum 16GB to install, wich is true. The PARTITION must be minimum 16GB for the installer to allow it to be selected, however you can reduce the size needed for windows a lot. My windows folder is 13,5GB, and even with 20+ apps installed (MS and Open office suites included) i still use less than 20GB on my C: partition.
The need for a pagefile is reverse proportional to your ammount of RAM, if you have 4GB or more RAM you can safely deactivate it for normal general computer usage and save a lot of space.

williamvw

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]nonxcarbonx[/nom]Kingston's mitigation software is the best I've seen. On another note, is there a link to the destruction video?[/citation]
I think you mean "migration" software. Although mitigation software could be really useful for resolving hardware errors. ;-)

The Kingston videos are fun. Start here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udJ8TzvJne8

ArgleBargle

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
Until flash memory as a whole becomes more reliable, I refuse to use an SSD. Having had a number of USB flash drives from various companies including Kingston fail (one from Sandisk became outright unuseable) even though I am careful with them and always use the "safely remove hardware" command. Flash memory has a very long way to go before I will trust anything important to it.

G

You should of asked them why the aren't supporting TRIM on last years V+ models with a firmware update. It uses a Samsung controller that was supposed to eventually support TRIM. I bought it with that in mind, and now they have said in email conversations with their support team that they will not be supporting it. Basically anyone who bought an SSD without TRIM is doomed to have worse performance a traditional platter drive eventually. I feel like I was robbed 180 bucks.

nevertell

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2009
[citation][nom]mitch074[/nom]I solved my netbook's boot times...It runs Linux, with a compressed kernel image.Looks like real mode disk access, registry hives, antivirus and such do slow Windows boot times.[/citation]

This dude IS wright. And that old nt filesystem isn't helping either.

If you optimize X startup, use a different kernel start-up event manager, you can get below 10 seconds startup time with a netbook.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I like the idea that even if SSD goes bad, I can still recover my data possibly avoid paying thousands of dollars for the recovery. That is one thing that pulls me away from hard-disk into SSD.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Maybe it's just me, but I don't feel they properly answered the question of why there's a wear difference bewtween sequential and random ...[/citation]

True... it looks like they avoided answering the question and they just talked about the difference in speed (again!).

El_Capitan

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I think they thought they were talking about IOPS, which involves a lot of writes, and not random access. If you're using SSD's for databases, which is great except for having write limitations, then fast IOPS is what you want. Thus, if you're using SSD's for databases, you really need to make sure you're not going to do a lot of small writes to it... but then the advantage of using a SSD goes away. It's a Catch-22.

salemgman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I've had a negative experience with the Kingston V- series SSD.

I placed it in my laptop, and the performance was nice compared to a spinning drive.

However, the laptop heated up more than before, and this laptop is one with the HOT nVidia graphics chip in it.

The SSD proceeded to fail after about a month. Corrupted file system, failure to boot.

I went to check the operating temps of the HD, but to my surprise, the drive doesn't advertise a SMART temp sensor.

The drive should have a temp sensor, and should initiate SMART warnings when operating in temps that will cause it to have faults on writes.

I was extremely disappointed with this product, and would return it for a refund if I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.