Q. on HD optimizing

DaveZeb

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have two HD's currently. [WD Expert 18GB 7200 ATA/66] and a [Maxtor 20GB 7200 ATA/66]. My Motherboard is an Abit BE6, with 2 ATA/66 IDE slots, as well as two regular IDEs. My Current set-up is running both the drives on 1 cable to a regular IDE slot, with Maxtor as the slave.

Here is my quandry. Should I attempt to install the ATA/66 drivers, and switch the Hard Drives to an ATA/66 slot? Would it produce a marked increase in performance? (Would they have to be redetected by my BIOS, thus requiring a complete re-install and loss of info?)

Depending on the answers to those questions, I would move on and contemplate if seperating the drives might also produce increased data transfer. Should I run the drives on seperate ATA/66 cables, 1 in each 66 slot? Would this affect the jumper settings necessary on the HDs? By doing this, am I basically allowing my computer to access both drives at once? (Similar to SCSI?)

Lastly, a question on Virtual Memory. From what I hear, setting your VM to a hard #, around 1.5x to 2x physical RAM, is best as it prevents Windows from continually re-adjusting the parameters of VM as needs change. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Currently I have a small Partition at the end of my 'C' drive, making it my 'D' drive, that I use exclusively for VM. I was wondering if this is the best way to go. Also, if I were to make some changes according to my queries above, such as seperating my drives to 2 cables, would I want my Vm to then be on my Slave, or second HD, so that while program info is being accessed on drive 1, VM can be accessed simutaneously? on drive 2?

I know it's a lot of questions, but if someone can help me out of this technical quagmire, I would truly appreciate it!

yoda271828

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
HD's read data fastest from the beginning of the drive. I would suggest putting your swap file on the first partition, and setting the min and max to 256MB.

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
you should load the ata-66drivers and put the 2 hdd
as primary and secondary master (2seperate cables)
on that controller, then put your cd-rom on the primary master of the ata-33 controller(if you have something as slave to that make it secondary master)
again the motto is each device seperate cable.
also it will be redetected fine
just make sure the master hdd you are booting from is the Primary master on the other controller