Q: Will this PC config work?

Greetings,

I'm putting a system together; this is my first try. I'd appreciate
feedback on the configuration I've put together.

Mostly I want to know if I've included any component that's
incompatible with another component. Here goes:

CASE:
Antec SX1040BII Performance II 400-watt ATX Tower Case
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=297029&pfp=BROWSE

MOTHERBOARD:
FIC AU13 nForce2-ST Bus Speed: 333 MHz 8X AGP

PROCESSOR:
Athlon XP2500+, 1.83GHz, 333MHz Bus, Socket A Processor AMD
AXDA2500BOX (retail version, should have a heatsink already installed
I think?)

MEMORY:
Crucial Technology 512MB PC2700 184pin DDR DIMM Memory Module
CT6464Z335

MONITOR:
Samsung SyncMaster 955df 19-inch (18.0 vis) Monitor, Black/Silver

VIDEO CARD:
GIGABYTE ATI RADEON 9200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out,
8X AGP, Model GV-R92128DH

HARD DRIVE:
Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model ST3120026A, 8MB cache

OPERATING SYSTEM:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a

....I'm not worried about the rest of the list: floppy drive, CDROM,
keyboard, mouse etc.

Mostly I just want to know if these parts will work together. After
that system stability is my main concern. I've tried to put together
a modestly-priced package that will last and is
upgradeable/expandable. A friend helped me put a system together 3+
years ago and it's been very solid; I'm trying to duplicate the feat
:)

Any help is much appreciated.

peter wenker wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm putting a system together; this is my first try. I'd appreciate
> feedback on the configuration I've put together.
>
> Mostly I want to know if I've included any component that's
> incompatible with another component. Here goes:
>
> CASE:
> Antec SX1040BII Performance II 400-watt ATX Tower Case
> http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=297029&pfp=BROWSE
>
> MOTHERBOARD:
> FIC AU13 nForce2-ST Bus Speed: 333 MHz 8X AGP
>
> PROCESSOR:
> Athlon XP2500+, 1.83GHz, 333MHz Bus, Socket A Processor AMD
> AXDA2500BOX (retail version, should have a heatsink already installed
> I think?)
>
> MEMORY:
> Crucial Technology 512MB PC2700 184pin DDR DIMM Memory Module
> CT6464Z335
>
> MONITOR:
> Samsung SyncMaster 955df 19-inch (18.0 vis) Monitor, Black/Silver
>
> VIDEO CARD:
> GIGABYTE ATI RADEON 9200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out,
> 8X AGP, Model GV-R92128DH
>
> HARD DRIVE:
> Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model ST3120026A, 8MB cache
>
> OPERATING SYSTEM:
> Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a
>
> ...I'm not worried about the rest of the list: floppy drive, CDROM,
> keyboard, mouse etc.
>
> Mostly I just want to know if these parts will work together. After
> that system stability is my main concern. I've tried to put together
> a modestly-priced package that will last and is
> upgradeable/expandable. A friend helped me put a system together 3+
> years ago and it's been very solid; I'm trying to duplicate the feat
> :)
>
> Any help is much appreciated.
Looks OK, but, you do know that IRQ conflicts are STILL the bane of new
installs!

I always run Knoppix live CDrom first off, as it reports all problems...

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 18:01:04 +0000, Patrick wrote:

> you do know that IRQ conflicts are STILL the bane of new installs!

No, I didn't know that. I've not had to even consider IRQs at all on my
most recent 3 Windoze systems.

Admittedly, I did have to think about IRQs once before... that was when I
added a standalone CD-ROM drive to my Packard Bell Legend 386sx...

--
Lenroc

clint

When's the last time you've had IRQ conflicts using a modern operating
system and PCI hardware? Personally, I can't remember having one since
upgrading from Windows 95.

Clint

"Patrick" <pberry26@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> peter wenker wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I'm putting a system together; this is my first try. I'd appreciate
> > feedback on the configuration I've put together.
> >
> > Mostly I want to know if I've included any component that's
> > incompatible with another component. Here goes:
> >
> > CASE:
> > Antec SX1040BII Performance II 400-watt ATX Tower Case

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=297029&pfp=BROWSE

> > MOTHERBOARD:
> > FIC AU13 nForce2-ST Bus Speed: 333 MHz 8X AGP
> >
> > PROCESSOR:
> > Athlon XP2500+, 1.83GHz, 333MHz Bus, Socket A Processor AMD
> > AXDA2500BOX (retail version, should have a heatsink already installed
> > I think?)
> >
> > MEMORY:
> > Crucial Technology 512MB PC2700 184pin DDR DIMM Memory Module
> > CT6464Z335
> >
> > MONITOR:
> > Samsung SyncMaster 955df 19-inch (18.0 vis) Monitor, Black/Silver
> >
> > VIDEO CARD:
> > GIGABYTE ATI RADEON 9200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out,
> > 8X AGP, Model GV-R92128DH
> >
> > HARD DRIVE:
> > Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model ST3120026A, 8MB cache
> >
> > OPERATING SYSTEM:
> > Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a
> >
> > ...I'm not worried about the rest of the list: floppy drive, CDROM,
> > keyboard, mouse etc.
> >
> > Mostly I just want to know if these parts will work together. After
> > that system stability is my main concern. I've tried to put together
> > a modestly-priced package that will last and is
> > upgradeable/expandable. A friend helped me put a system together 3+
> > years ago and it's been very solid; I'm trying to duplicate the feat
> > :)
> >
> > Any help is much appreciated.
> Looks OK, but, you do know that IRQ conflicts are STILL the bane of new
> installs!
>
> I always run Knoppix live CDrom first off, as it reports all problems...

clint

BTW, my response to you was not intended as a slam or anything. It was a
legitimate question.

Clint

"Patrick" <pberry26@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> peter wenker wrote:
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I'm putting a system together; this is my first try. I'd appreciate
> > feedback on the configuration I've put together.
> >
> > Mostly I want to know if I've included any component that's
> > incompatible with another component. Here goes:
> >
> > CASE:
> > Antec SX1040BII Performance II 400-watt ATX Tower Case

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=297029&pfp=BROWSE

> > MOTHERBOARD:
> > FIC AU13 nForce2-ST Bus Speed: 333 MHz 8X AGP
> >
> > PROCESSOR:
> > Athlon XP2500+, 1.83GHz, 333MHz Bus, Socket A Processor AMD
> > AXDA2500BOX (retail version, should have a heatsink already installed
> > I think?)
> >
> > MEMORY:
> > Crucial Technology 512MB PC2700 184pin DDR DIMM Memory Module
> > CT6464Z335
> >
> > MONITOR:
> > Samsung SyncMaster 955df 19-inch (18.0 vis) Monitor, Black/Silver
> >
> > VIDEO CARD:
> > GIGABYTE ATI RADEON 9200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out,
> > 8X AGP, Model GV-R92128DH
> >
> > HARD DRIVE:
> > Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model ST3120026A, 8MB cache
> >
> > OPERATING SYSTEM:
> > Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a
> >
> > ...I'm not worried about the rest of the list: floppy drive, CDROM,
> > keyboard, mouse etc.
> >
> > Mostly I just want to know if these parts will work together. After
> > that system stability is my main concern. I've tried to put together
> > a modestly-priced package that will last and is
> > upgradeable/expandable. A friend helped me put a system together 3+
> > years ago and it's been very solid; I'm trying to duplicate the feat
> > :)
> >
> > Any help is much appreciated.
> Looks OK, but, you do know that IRQ conflicts are STILL the bane of new
> installs!
>
> I always run Knoppix live CDrom first off, as it reports all problems...

Thanks. Actually I decided to go up to the 2800+ since it's supported
by the mobo and it's not much more expensive.

For the fan I think I'll go with Thermalright "SLK900A" Copper
Heatsink for AMD. I'm a little worried about it being noisy but I'm a
believer in a nice cool CPU. Is that overdoing it? I know it's a bit
odd but I think of a PC as a 10-year investment, so I want to do
what's reasonable to ease the stress on the critical components (CPU,
mobo, memory).

When's the last time you built a PC? IRQ conflicts are few and far between with new systems.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 05:19:55 -0700, peter wenker wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I'm putting a system together; this is my first try. I'd appreciate
> feedback on the configuration I've put together.
>
> Mostly I want to know if I've included any component that's
> incompatible with another component. Here goes:
>
> CASE:
> Antec SX1040BII Performance II 400-watt ATX Tower Case
> http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=297029&pfp=BROWSE
>
> MOTHERBOARD:
> FIC AU13 nForce2-ST Bus Speed: 333 MHz 8X AGP

If this board doesn't officially support a 200MHz FSB (400FSB), don't get
it.

> PROCESSOR:
> Athlon XP2500+, 1.83GHz, 333MHz Bus, Socket A Processor AMD AXDA2500BOX
> (retail version, should have a heatsink already installed I think?)

Don't rely on the retail cooler to work real well. Would be better off
with an OEM cpu and seperate cooler. TR2-M1 ($8) will work much better and
quieter.

> MEMORY:
> Crucial Technology 512MB PC2700 184pin DDR DIMM Memory Module CT6464Z335

No way. PC3200 bare minimum, but I'd get something faster like PC3700.

> MONITOR:
> Samsung SyncMaster 955df 19-inch (18.0 vis) Monitor, Black/Silver
>
> VIDEO CARD:
> GIGABYTE ATI RADEON 9200 Video Card, 128MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, 8X
> AGP, Model GV-R92128DH
>
> HARD DRIVE:
> Seagate 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model ST3120026A, 8MB cache
>
> OPERATING SYSTEM:
> Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a

Do you need it? Linux is better and cheaper (as in free).

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 19:15:02 -0700, peter wenker wrote:

> Thanks. Actually I decided to go up to the 2800+ since it's supported
> by the mobo and it's not much more expensive.
>
> For the fan I think I'll go with Thermalright "SLK900A" Copper
> Heatsink for AMD. I'm a little worried about it being noisy but I'm a
> believer in a nice cool CPU. Is that overdoing it? I know it's a bit
> odd but I think of a PC as a 10-year investment, so I want to do
> what's reasonable to ease the stress on the critical components (CPU,
> mobo, memory).

It's a lot of overkill unless you plan on major overclocking. You'll
probably send over $50 for it while an $8 TR2-M1 would do the job nicely,
even overclocked.

<>
....It's a lot of overkill unless you plan on major overclocking.
You'll
probably send over $50 for it while an $8 TR2-M1 would do the job
nicely,
even overclocked.
<>

Thanks for the recommendation; I'll probably go that route.

Now I've learned that instead of getting one stick of 512MB I have to
worry about taking advantage of the Dual Channel.

I read up on it a little bit, and one thing is still not clear: why do
they keep referring to it as "400FSB dual channel"? Does that mean
you can only use it with 400FSB clock speeds?

I'll be with a 333FSB. Can I utilize Dual Channel?

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 13:55:53 -0700, peter wenker wrote:

> Now I've learned that instead of getting one stick of 512MB I have to
> worry about taking advantage of the Dual Channel.

Unless you have on board video, I wouldn't even worry about using dual
channel. the gain isn't that great.

> I read up on it a little bit, and one thing is still not clear: why do
> they keep referring to it as "400FSB dual channel"? Does that mean you
> can only use it with 400FSB clock speeds?
>
> I'll be with a 333FSB. Can I utilize Dual Channel?

Sure, you can use dual channel at 200FSB if you want.

clint

A 10 year investment? According to Intel
(http://www.intel.com/pressroom/kits/quickrefyr.htm) , 1994 was the year of
the Pentium computer. They announced the Pentium 100MHz on March 7 (the
original Pentium was launched in 1993, at a whopping 60MHz). The Pentium II
was 1997. Even that one is borderline in today's world, and that was only 7
years ago.

I guess what I'm getting at is that 10 years is way to long of a time-frame
to plan for, and it's sure not an "investment". At the end of even 2 years,
you've basically depreciated the heck out of your "investment", leaving you
with a small fraction of what you originally paid. So buy the computer you
need for what you need it to do now. Even if you buy the top of the line
machine today, it will probably be mid-line by the time you get all the
service packs installed. If your machine lasts even 5 years without needing
a substantial upgrade on one component or another, you'll be doing good.
Either that, or you're running WP on DOS, and a 286 will do the job for you.
Don't laugh, I know people in that position! :)

Clint