Q3 Graphics Shipments Up 16.7% Over Last Quarter

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JeTJL

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]i'd expect bf3 to boost dgfx sales. but right now igp is where the money is. amd profitted from llano and bobcat, intel did with sb. unless nvidia gets an arm cpu with nvidia's own igp they'll keep falling behind intel and amd in this field.amd's upcoming trinity, bobcat-t, intel's ivy bridge only move themselves further ahead of nvidia. doesn't it make you feel a bit bad seeing intel taking lead in gfx market? intel doesn't even care much about graphics. their drivers suck worse than amd's.imo nvidia is in a better position to challenge intel than amd is. they can build a 64 bit arm cpu, combo that with a gts 450 or gt 430 class gpu or lower end gt 240 gpu manufactured by tsmc. i know they will release quadcore tegra cpu which iirc is for tablets and smartphones.[/citation]

Not sure about Battlefield 3 boosting dual graphics card sales. I can run it quite fine on my Radeon 6870 and it should run quite well with other higher end cards. The only reason why I would think you would go with dual graphics cards in my opinion is to do eyefinity and have 3-6 monitors connected to your graphics card(s) or with 3D video. Other than that if your monitor is @ 1920x1080 a 6850/6850 or even a 5(6)770 would be plenty enough.

Nvidia and Arm are a powerful combo but when most of the high end games are on the x86/64 platform I doubt that will challenge Intel and Amd's dominance in the market. Arm is not bad but it was meant for cellphones and tablets not high end gaming.

I like it now how the market is turning towards more balanced systems. With a decent Graphics Card along with a decent CPU, I really hate it how they sell a high end cpu with integrated or crappy discrete graphics.

This is also just my own opinion on why graphics card purchases went up, is probably because Hard Drive Prices skyrocketed to the price of a decent graphics card. So people deciding to get a new hard drive just end up getting a new graphics card. It's my opinion but I would pick a decent graphics card over storage space.

nurgletheunclean

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2007
[citation][nom]acadia11[/nom]Yes, as their shipment share went from 34% to 24%[/citation]

That is percentage of market share. AMD's GPU sales didn't decline 30% it's just that all Intel's current CPU sales are also counting as GPU sales, since they integrate the GPU.

josh1200

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2010
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]Those that buy only Intel integrated graphics don't care or don't know any better.[/citation]

I have built 3 new machines using Intel HD Graphics now. It isn't for gaming. 1 HTPC which works great, supports all media content including 1080p for really cheap. 2 desktops for workstation use, also no need for a discrete card.

G

ahh bf3... how you made me spend $330 to upgrade my GPU to a 570.

Status
Not open for further replies.