Q3 Graphics Shipments Up 16.7% Over Last Quarter

Status
Not open for further replies.
i'd expect bf3 to boost dgfx sales. but right now igp is where the money is. amd profitted from llano and bobcat, intel did with sb. unless nvidia gets an arm cpu with nvidia's own igp they'll keep falling behind intel and amd in this field.
amd's upcoming trinity, bobcat-t, intel's ivy bridge only move themselves further ahead of nvidia.
doesn't it make you feel a bit bad seeing intel taking lead in gfx market? intel doesn't even care much about graphics. their drivers suck worse than amd's.
imo nvidia is in a better position to challenge intel than amd is. they can build a 64 bit arm cpu, combo that with a gts 450 or gt 430 class gpu or lower end gt 240 gpu manufactured by tsmc. i know they will release quadcore tegra cpu which iirc is for tablets and smartphones.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]de5_roy[/nom]i'd expect bf3 to boost dgfx sales. but right now igp is where the money is. amd profitted from llano and bobcat, intel did with sb. unless nvidia gets an arm cpu with nvidia's own igp they'll keep falling behind intel and amd in this field.amd's upcoming trinity, bobcat-t, intel's ivy bridge only move themselves further ahead of nvidia. doesn't it make you feel a bit bad seeing intel taking lead in gfx market? intel doesn't even care much about graphics. their drivers suck worse than amd's.imo nvidia is in a better position to challenge intel than amd is. they can build a 64 bit arm cpu, combo that with a gts 450 or gt 430 class gpu or lower end gt 240 gpu manufactured by tsmc. i know they will release quadcore tegra cpu which iirc is for tablets and smartphones.[/citation]
I think that Nvidia is in better position to attack AMD in IGP field if they would join with Intel in that effort. Chip-set for SB and IB with IGP that could work in some kind of SLI with CPU's GPU have potential to kill 56xx and 66xx and lower level GPUs from AMD, and maybe even compete with 57xx and 67xx series.

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
[citation][nom]spookie[/nom]mmm 1.6 GPUs..where can I find that .6?[/citation]
On average in 10 PCs you have 10 discrete GPUs and 6 integrated, but that doesn't mean that 6 PCs have both discrete and integrated. Some have only integrated GPU, some have 4 discrete GPUs and integrated if you count dual GPU cards, rest have any combination in between (1+0, 1+1, 2+0, 2+1, 3+0, 3+1, 4+0).

Device Unknown

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2010
Intel is only leading is GFX sales because they have a craptastic IGP in Sandy Bridge. I can only imagine that business, POS, medical, would use Intels IGP. My guess is that AMD is still #1 in graphics chips being USED.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Well, Intel also has open source drivers straight from Intel themselves while Nvidia and AMD have the "nouveau" and "radeon" community-driven open source drivers - which while they are great for older cards, are really really crappy for new ones (at least for a while, until they get proper support).

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
[citation][nom]gh0st[/nom]Make good games/software for the pc,that pushes the hardware and people will upgrade![/citation]
No. Because if they don't scale it to run on lesser hardware it won't sell and they won't recoup their investment. If they made an awesome game tomorrow that only worked on "GTX 590 3GB DDR5 2x 384-bit" and "HD 6990 4GB DDR5 2x 256-bit", very very (VERY) few people will upgrade, simply because most people don't have that kind of money to spend of a fricken graphics card when you could buy 2 decent PCs with that amount.

Swolern

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
[citation][nom]FunSurfer[/nom]+1... and they say no money in PC gaming...[/citation]

I built my first PC ever just because of Battlefield 3. So long consoles.

G

The clear winner of the quarter was Intel with a market share of 60.4 percent, up from 54.8 percent in the last quarter. AMD was down from 34.4 percent to 23.0 percent and Nvidia retreated from 20.1 percent to 16.1 percent.

54.8 + 34.4 + 20.1 = 109.3
Huh?

iinlane

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Wanted to skip current gen and buy next gen but because of BF3 bought GTX570 and _still_ planning to buy the next gen.

iinlane

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2011
Wanted to skip current gen and buy next gen but because of BF3 bought GTX570 and _still_ planning to buy the next gen.

iirc nvidia and intel had a disagreement concerning nvidia making chipset for intel processors. the result was nvidia's exit from chipset market. i doubt nvidia and intel will join forces against amd who is in pretty deep !@#$ right now(compared to intel and nvidia). afaik nvidia has had success with arm socs - they can leverage that against both amd and intel. intel's success with sandy bridge is all the more reason to use their own igp instead of nvidia's.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
It also raises the question, how many new PC's were built from parts that don't show up in statistics? IMO each new MB that gets sold should count as a new PC or close to it...

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
[citation][nom]kilo_17[/nom]AMD may not be as good in the CPU market, but one market they do good in (for the most part) is the GPU market.[/citation]

Yes, as their shipment share went from 34% to 24%

Status
Not open for further replies.