Question Q6600 temperature shooting up on opening tabs in Chrome

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
Hi,

I have a Core 2 Quad processor in my desktop (Q6600). When I open multiple tabs in Chrome (7 to 8), my processor temperature shoots up to 90-95 degree Celsius. The ambient temperature is about 35 – 40 degree Celsius. Same is true with Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. I checked the processor heat sink and fan – they are OK. What do you suggest pls? How can I take steps to reduce this temperature shootup?

Looking forward to your comments.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
You replace faulty part with known working part and see, if that fixes the issue.
Or you use another computer and try parts from your pc in this other pc, to see, which part has failed.

Also, though I cannot test a microprocessor at home, can I start a motherboard without a microprocessor (with or without the RAM plugged in)? If so how. Because if I can, I will be able to rule out which on of them (the processor or motherboard) has gone dead/bad.

I have a Gigabyte G41 M combo motherboard.

Thanks again.

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
Re-pasting the stock Intel HSF is usually pointless since the underlying reason why the paste "failed" is because the HSF has become too loose to maintain sufficient mounting pressure to keep the paste layer intact. Once the original paste breaks loose, it is time for an aftermarket HSF.

If you didn't turn off / unplug the PSU before checking it separately, try connecting everything back up. The reason you couldn't get it to turn on again before may have been that a protection got tripped and locked you out until the PSU got turned off long enough to reset itself.

I have a multimeter with me. Is there a way to know which pin of the 24 pin connector has 3.3 v and which one 5 v?
If you have multimeter available, then you can test it.

Ordinateur_alimentation_voltages.jpg

can I start a motherboard without a microprocessor (with or without the RAM plugged in)?
No. Motherboard, cpu and psu is absolute minimum.
And that will only give you beeps, indicating ram is not present (if pc speaker is connected).
No beeps will mean, some of those parts is dead.

To start a pc, you need motherboard, cpu, psu, ram (and gpu, if there is no integrated gpu in cpu or motherboard chipset).

Last edited:

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016

I checked the no load voltages of the SMPS. All the are OK.
When I replaced my SMPS four years back, it was also switching on but was unable to supply to the load (HDD and motherboard). After several trials and errors (including HDD replacement etc) I was able to diagnose the actual fault.

Is there any way I can check if the SMPS will be able to supply to the load? This way I can rule out if the SMPS is at fault.

Many thanks.

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016

UPDATE 2:

After checking the voltages on the SMPS pins, I opened the processor fan, added thermal paste and reassembled the fan-processor-motherboard. Then connected back the SMPS ports to the motherboard and HDD. Next, connected all the cables at the back of the PC.

Switching on the system, I can see both the SMPS fan and processor fan running but there is no display on the monitor. After a few seconds of starting the PC, it is stopping with a squeak sound and then restarting itself. Basically it is looping from on to off to on condition. I checked the HDD connectors to ensure it does not have any loose connections.

What could be the reason for no display and continuous on-off self looping? Is the SMPS not able to supply to the PC or is it a symptom of motherboard/ processor failure? There is no beeping sound when the PC is auto restarting.

Awaiting your reply.

Many thanks.

Last edited:

garvind25

Honorable
Sep 24, 2016
Great news! The PC just started working. I randomly removed both the RAM DIMMs, cleaned its connectors with an eraser and plugged them back. The PC started working!

So I am back to the original issue of CPU overheating. Someone was telling me that the processor can be under bolted and under locked for reducing the temperature. If so, pls tell me step by step how to do so. I am on Windows 7 with Q6600 processor.
Also do tell me the safe values of under volting and under clocking.

Awaiting your response.