Q9300 at Newegg now!

righteous

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
I am also waiting to see what the 9450 is about.

I don't see the 9300 as a worthwhile upgrade, already having a q6600.
The 9450 is supposed to be WAY better.

Thanatos421

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
If you already have a Q6600, you probably shouldn't upgrade to any of the 9x50 series quads. None of them, outside of the extreme, will overclock better than the 6600. Aside from that, the only difference will be slightly better power efficiency, and the larger cache. IMO, if you already have a quad, save for the Nehalem platform.

On the other hand... If you're like me and built a temporary dual-core solution around the eagerly awaited 9450 and 9550, then these might be worth it.

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

Ok, but I don't have a q6600. My current system is only a gateway system that I bought back in 2002 (specs listed below). As you can see from those specs, I could really use an upgrade.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
It might be a good idea to wait until we see what the rest of the Yorkfields (the ones with 12MB) can do before jumping on the Q9300. Still, I doubt the Q9300 is a bad processor, so if you've really got the itch it isn't a bad choice. I'm just not much of an early adopter (unless I'm bored :) ).

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

It could be a while before Nehalem is readily available. If you're chugging along with a 5 year old system then I don't think you will regret purchasing a Q9XXX processor within the next couple of months.

sailer

Splendid

We could well be waiting a year or more before Nehalem makes it out. Various reasons have been given in the past for the Yorkie delays, ranging from Intel saying that AMD had given them no reason to introduce it yet, to rumored troubles with the chip itself which caused Intel to fix errata or something else. No idea what the real story is, other then what Intel published a couple months back. Anyway, Nehalem could be a long ways off, and if a new, fast computer is desired now, then there are other chips that will supply the need for speed. And if you're patient (I'm getting impatient) the Q9450/9550 should be making its way to Newegg in the next couple weeks.

darkstar782

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2005
I personally would rather have a Q6600 than a Q9300.

Q6600 = More cache, and will overclock further, as the multiplier on the Q9300 is only 7.5.

That means to hit 3.6GHz you need a 480MHz FSB.... that's going to be tough to achieve!!

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

I know that it will still be about a year before nehalem is out. But I'm in it for the long run, not for the moment. I don't want to build a gaming rig now and then not be able to play the latest games that can harness the power of nehalem.

sailer

Splendid

Hold it! If you look at most games right now, they only require the equivalent of a P4 CPU. Very few games are out, and its going to be another year or two, maybe longer, before they can use of a quad core. A person building a gaming rig using a Q9450/Q9550 will had many years of pleasure before his computer will be too old and slow. Video cards will need to be upgraded, of course, but the CPU will have a long run.

ocguy31

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2008

Woah...from your sig specs, it doesnt look like you really play the latest games anyway!

You are missing out on a whole generation of hardware. The Core architecture that is out right now will be able to play any game you throw at it for years to come. And you can build a really nice system for relatively cheap right now, including GPU and RAM (2GB DDR2 < $80)

"In it for the moment" may be considered jumping from a Conroe to a Wolfdale. Going from a low-clocked P4 and 512mb RAM to a 45nm chip is an insane jump, and is far from being considered "In it for the moment."

Before this system I had a 3.0ghz P4 and this is like a whole new world.

And judging by the Wolfdale/Yorkie launch and how delayed the supply is, it may be a LONG time before Nehalem is actually available at your local retailer.

Edit: If all you do is surf the web and email, it all doesnt really matter anyway.

homerdog

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007

I understand your desire to "futureproof" your system, but you must understand that there will always be something better right around the corner. Buying a Core2 processor now will give you a great processor that should last for years to come, especially if it has 4 cores.

As Sailer stated, it's the GPU that will need to be upgraded on an almost yearly basis to keep up with the latest games. CPUs tend to last a lot longer.

SpinachEater

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
^ agreed. Waiting will just lead to more waiting. When Nehalem comes out you will wait for the prices to drop. Prices drop when something else replaces it. So then you are back to this same situation...buy old technology or wait for the new one. Quad cores will be solid for a while.
I wish I could remember where I saw the Intel mainstream roadmap. From what I remember, quads aren' considered mainstream yet. Darn it...anyone know what I am talking about? I can't find it now!!

sailer

Splendid

I know what you're talking about. Yeah, quads won't start being mainstream until lots of apps are out that make use of all four cores. Right now there are only a few games that do that. Hey, some poeple get by on single core chips just fine, as long as they keep the overhead low and don't try to play the very latest games.

sailer

Splendid
My son was using a socket 478 for a few years. Then a heat sink came loose, touched the graphics card and everything went dead. I gave him my FX60 machine and he thinks he's in dreamland. of course, now I'm using an old machine. I had first counted on building a Phenom rig, but when the Phenom bombed, I'm stuck waiting, and waiting....

Yeah, when you get a quad powered machine going after that 478, you'll find the step up unbelievable. :sol:

mikekazik1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2007

Ok, then in that case, I will definitely try to get my hands on a q9450. Could any of you guys recommend a good 45nm mobo? Someone told me that I should get the 790i, but I don't want to waste money on ddr3 ram. Is there a good 45nm mobo (that is sli compatible) that is a bit more modest?