Q9300 Temp

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I have finally found a site where I can get the heatsink and thermal compound for combined 55 euro. (Postage on top of that).

Just to check, my 580W power supply should be able to handle a Q9300 and 2 Saphire 2GB ATI 4870 cards right? even with slight overclocking?

jassao

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2009

I wouldn't run 2 4870's on a 580W PSU, they can use +320W just by themselves underload, plus the cpu can take a bit less than 100W, add the other componets (HDD's, ram, fans,etc) ~50W and you have 470W total.

Now IF the PSU has 80% efficiency, it has 580Wx0.8 = 464W.

Given that some people are optimistic and estimate the power drawn by the cards in ~270W underload, you still could not play any gpu intensive games without shutdowns or BSOD's, IMO.

They recommend a quality 750W PSU for 4870's CF'd, in this case it's better to have more power than you need.

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Thanks. Looks like the PSU will have to wait till the next month. I have an X-Power GTX Light (Blue). Can you recommend one that's as shiny which runs at 750W?

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007

Not correct, the rating is based on the DC watts a power supply can provide.

However, I do have to agree that a reputable PSU with at least 40A on the 12V rail (the X-Power has 30A, see this) is necessary. Something like the

Corsair HX520 (40A), HX620 (50A), TX650, TX750
Enermax Pro/Modu 525W, 625W, Galaxy series, or Infiniti series
PC Power and Cooling (anything 610W+)

Two good resources:
http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=205763
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=108088

Basically, anything that's available where you are and has 40A+ on the 12V rail and is in Tier 1 or 2 on the second link.

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Ireland really isn't up to high end computing for people building their PCs so getting good parts is difficult sometimes. I often see exactly what I want on American sites, but no way of getting them shipped here. Also, people here generally just go for pre-built packages like Dell or something like that.

I can get a good price on the X Power 700.
(That is http://www.compucase-hec.co.uk/psu_xpower_600-700.htm).

It has two PCI-E connectors, and I know that the Sapphire card comes with Modex
> PCI-E adapters, so I am thinking that I can put one direct PCI-E with one Modex converter to each card (meaning it would have the same kind of power). There are 8 Modex connectors.

Although I do note that X Power 700 it does not have 30A or 40A listed so that might be a problem.

>>> Seems I have wandered off topic a bit. Maybe this should go into a different thread.

KyleSTL

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
It will likely work, as similar HEC units have 50A+ on the 12V combined. The X Power does not list a combined power, nor have I been able to find a picture from which the rail rating could be calculated. It does make me a little nervous that you'll have to use 2 PCIe to molex connectors, if that's the best you have been able to find it'll probably work well.

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
I am assuming that since there are 8 molex connectors (okay yes I see my typo above), they will probably be on different rails like in previous PSUs I've used. That should be stable enough if I use separate rails I think, and I dont use any molex devices either.

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
So at this point, I have gotten some better thermal compound which was better than the one I was using originally. I will use it until the Arctic Silver 5 arrives. I reapplied to the CPU (after cleaning of course), and when idle, my processor gives the temp of about 25-30 degrees C with individual cores at about 45-50 and when at 100% stress, I am getting a CPU reading of about 50 and individual cores at about 70.

Just to see how it was getting on at a higher clockspeed, I over clocked to 3Ghz (ensuring RAM stays at 800Mhz), and the only difference I can see in temp at idle was the CPU temp was about 35 degress C, and at stress, the reading was 55-60 ish with individual cores leveling at about 78 degrees.

This is still a little too high for my tastes but I think its okay until better cooling arrives. Actually with these results I will be tempted to OC up to about 3.2Ghz once I get the better heatsink. And who knows, maybe later I will play around with the voltages if that stays low.

Thanks all for your help!

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
After reading into voltage settings more, it seems that I has my BIOS automatically setting the values for power settings.

3Ghz with AUTO set in BIOS:
CPU PLL 1.65V
CPU Termination 1.2V
CPU Reference 0.76V
CPU VCore 1.325V

Now I have 3Ghz with the below settings and its running a little cooler:
CPU PLL 1.5V
CPU Termination 1.2V
CPU Reference 0.76V
CPU VCore 1.225V

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Right. My mother board has the figures to use for auto.

What would you recommend for:
DRAM Voltage
DRAM Termination
Channel A / Channel B Reference

MCH Core
MCH/DRAM Reference
MCH Reference (yes its a different value)
ICH I/O

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Sorry, I forgot to put the figures in. Also I know the the Gigabyte board seem to have different terms that probably mean the same thing. For example, I dont know which of the voltage settings refer to the northbridge, etc.

DRAM Voltage 1.8V
DRAM Termination 0.9V
Channel A / Channel B Reference 0.9V (Both)

MCH Core 1.1V
MCH/DRAM Reference 0.85V
MCH Reference (yes its a different value) 0.76V
ICH I/O 1.5V

boulard83

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
just try/fail/stable !

If your RAM is 1.8-1.9 try the find the lower you can go and stay stable.

For MCH 1.1 is ok if your stable.

When youll acheive the speed you want. LOWER volts one by one untill its unstable and take it back to the last know stable V. By doind this with all volts, youll know that your generating the less heat from every parts. Its long ... but this way your OC is going to be a real effective one.

have fun !

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Right, so the Mugen 2 arrived and its great so far.

Its keeping the CPU at 22C when Idle and not more than 30C when stressed.

However, my system case is much hotter than before. I just installed the 2 4870 cards and have them in crossfire.

Does anyone know why the controls for the fan speed (actually all the controls) under the ATI Overdrive page of Catalyst are greyed out?

drakenabarion

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2009
Sorry, its been awhile since I've use Catalyst. I have unlocked the setting.

Anyway. Thank you everyone so much for your help! You have no idea how much I appreciate how helpful this forum and all of you who replied were to me. :)

freezed1

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2007
Hi . lemem recommend a cooler that will beat almost any other air cooler..........
the thermalright IFX-14, it will run even 4c cooler compared to a TRUE. Also i believe they are on sale right now, make sure your case has enough room, they are huge!!!!!

Readytogo.jpg

check websites they have the reviews, the best air cooler for any processor, if you have the space. see the little TRUE on the other side.

TRENDING THREADS