QOTD: Are You Going Windows 7 from Vista or XP?

Page 8 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
Currently running Vista 32 bit, home basic (got a REALLY good deal for it around late 2007.) I'm thinking I'll go Windows 7 when I do a system upgrade (about Q4 next year). If I can find it for cheap though I might just splurge.

marsax73

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2006
Win XP to Mac OS X once support dwindles on XP. I'm done with MS for my home pc. In the office, can't get around it. I hope Win 7 is everything Vista wasn't but for me, it's too much glitz and not enough oomph. I record audio for my studio and XP is doing the job but Vista/7 is not designed for people like me. I need a stripped down version before it might do the job.

G

XP was my primary OS until May 5th (7 RC release).
I'm now using 7 on my netbook (asus EEE 1000HE) and my desktop.
It feels like a real upgrade, sort of like going from Windows 3.1 to Win95.
I thought that Vista eventually was an OK OS, although still slow and bloated, once they worked out the bugs.

I think they have a winner here with Win 7 (and it is really Windows 6.1). Good performance, and some things even seem to work better than they did under XP.

kal326

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have been on Vista on my work machine for over a year. X64 Vista works much better than X64 XP for a workstation. The rest of the office will be going from WinXP Pro to Win7 Pro/Business. I have already been testing Win7 Beta and RC on a few of our current machines and am looking forward to the RTM for a transition.

rtech

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I will not be using Windows 7 anytime soon. I will watch it for a couple of years first and if it looks OK by then maybe on a new computer. I do computer repair. Vista has not yet proved acceptable to me. It is just not worth the trouble. I will likely never own a Vista computer since Vista makes XP look so good. I am sick of the constant changes in OS. XP is stable at this point. I will likely stay with XP as long as I can keep my computers running, even if it means getting off the internet. I have tried Linux, but it is not able to run my important software so is useless for anything but internet and office apps. It may become my internet link in the future.

dainsane1

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
old laptop is xp and eventually will be linux
netbook is xubuntu and will stay that way
desktop is ubuntu/xp (dual boot) most likly stay that way

at work mostly have xp with 2k3 on the servers + 1 vista
no one wants to use the vista machine.

win 7 will not see use ultil at least a year after release (SP1 maybe i will consider a deploy)

only reason i would have to upgrade workstations would be compatability but i don't see that to happen anytime soon.

noobinberg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Well I have installed Windows 7 RC on my aging P4 rig and well...the AGP ATI video cards drivers that they say are for Windows 7 don't work, however the generic drivers that came with the new OS work fine....and I have an old Sound Blaster Live 5.1 sound card that Windows 7 can't detect...heck, it can't even detect the Reatek AC97 sound on the motherboard...and Creative isn't even supporting that card anymore...looks like I'm sticking with XP until I build a new rig....Vista was never even an option for me....the slew of bad reviews turned me away from it forever.

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
i sure am using windows 7. im already sold on it. it is much faster then vista 10xfold on my core i7 processor and 9800GTX+ i dont do alot of gaming but the 2 games i do play city of heroes and crysis i seem to have no trouble all works perfectly out of the box. and its only gonna get better

wolfseeker2828

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2007
win vista x64 to win 7. i liked vista's plug n' play ability (plug in my phone, instant connection, transfer over to camera that's plugged in without any hiccups) and I hope win 7 keeps that trend.

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
I personally intend to use Windows XP until my favourite games can no longer be played on it, or 4GB of RAM is not enough.

DX10 isn't enough to make me upgrade either.

If Windows 7's interface was somehow EXACTLY like Windows XP, including available modifications, then I would upgrade in a heartbeat. I just know my way around Windows XP too well, and would like to keep it that way as long as possible.
http://img148.imageshack.us/img148/7224/screenieh.jpg

jwill27

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
I am very happy with what Vista64 Ultimate has become and also dual-boot Windows7 x64 with the same results. If anything, both are MUCH more stable and forgiving than XP64 Pro ever was or is today. Since it looks like MS finally listened to developers and put in drivers that work fresh out of the box, I am very happy so far with Windows7 x64 and will keep with it.

kittle

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2005
probably both.
i'll be glad to get vista off my laptop, and probably move to win 7 on my main desktop too.. but it still works fine with xp 64-bit, so that may take a while.

goryachev

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2008
I have WinXP Pro x64 Edition.
I don't plan to move neither to vista, nor to win 7.
I have all the programs I need, and I don't install new ones. The system works very good, and very stable.

So I ask myself, why do I need to spend more money on a new operating system?

G

Currently using Vista. I'm perfectly happy with it, DX11 will be on Vista, and I'm not a fan of the new GUI on Vis7a (Win7). Plus, there are no major performance increases between Vista SP1 and Vis7a RC1. My laptop on Vista (installed November) actually reboots faster than a fresh install of Win7 on my friend's laptop which has higher specs.

Vista for me. I just hope Windows 8 gives you better options with the GUI.

G

Next upgrade will be to Snow Leopard. I have Vista but I always need to check the internet for problems arising due to new program installations. I think the GUI for Windows 7 is also pretty ugly.

Status
Not open for further replies.