QOTD: Are You Going Windows 7 from Vista or XP?

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marraco

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2007
I are testing W7 x64 Release Candidate, and I like it.

I deeply hate Vista, but W7 is a good enhancement, although it still have problems (like no support for Away Mode in 64 bit)

Blero

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
I tried vista but doesnt make sense.. I would use xp maybe in next 2 years at last cause of many software non-compatibility into the win 7, I'm testing the other new desktop ( high performance) with windows 7 and until now is going so good , but those who use specific hardware and software designed for xp would stay at least for other 5 years in win XP

trademarked

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Vista never passed through my machine.

I just uninstalled it from a lot of Laptops from my co-workers because the OS was ridiculously slow and resource hungry. Its a pity seeing a Core 2 machine with 1 Gb RAM running like a 386. I never understood why if XP needs just 256 Mb RAM to run flawlessly, M$ "suggestion" for Vista was 2 Gb, and the looks and feel were almost the same (I never was too impressed by aero).

I expect, for what I have been reading all over the Internet, Win 7 is going to be faster and (I hope) compatible with the entire suit of apps currently installed in the system of the common people. In that case, Win 7 is a winner for sure.

Cya!

That's kind of like asking how is it that windows 98 ran flawlessly on 32-64 megabytes of ram :p

As for aero, Use hardware accelerated desktop for over an hour and you will NEVER go back. That has pissed me off since win95(the lack of vsync was a real pain), 3.11 was too old to notice it on...

What does memory cost now days again? 25$ a gig?

giovanni86

Distinguished
May 10, 2007
Not upgrading for about 2 or 3 years. I will stick with vista for the time being as it does everything i want with 0 problems doing all that.

G

I missed the Vista boat because I always thought XP "did the job" just fine. Been running the Beta of Windows 7 for months and love it. Not going to use the RC though

mikex

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
I'm going from Vista SP1 to Vista SP2 ! I've tryed 7 and i dont like the new speed start and the pin/unpin thing, it just slow down my work ! And I have a general sensation of slowness, look like they are doing the same error of Vista again!

G

I love Vista, far better than XP imo. However, I am not sure Windows 7 is really much better than vista, in fact aside from better performance, it seems worse. But I will reserve my judgement until a few months after release.

hundredislandsboy

Distinguished
No thanks. Although I really want to game on DX 10 and want to run the 3DMark Vantage benchmark, XP suits all my gaming and photo/movie editing needs. I'll wait another year for all the drivers abd bugs to get worked out.

Dreamion

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I would like to know more about how games are running on Windows 7 64-bit platform compared to XP 32-bit, since gaming is pretty much all im doing at this time. How big a difference are there, are there any reviews about it? thanks.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]joeman42[/nom]Just curious how many OS's you actually looked at. Ubuntu with Beryl is by FAR the most beautiful OS ever created. And it's entirely free. The only downside is Linux's lack of games support. If not for that HUGE issue, Linux would definitely be my main choice of OS, as not only does it look great, but it's fucking robust and truly the most powerful OS I've ever seen. If only it could garner more support in the market. :\[/citation]

Cant judge the looks very objectively, but I like the looks of vista and win7
As for robust though ... I can honestly claim that the least robust OS I've ever tried is a linux distro. In particular CentOS 5.3 is something I'd recommend everyone to keep their hands off of.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
ahh windows 3.11. still remember the windows all over the screen. nothing like the orderly desktop you see today.

I'm all for windows 7! go MS!

imrightbehindyou

Distinguished
May 23, 2007
I currently run XP and Gentoo Linux on my laptop, and I will run a dual boot between Win 7 and Gentoo on my new desktop (should get last of parts today). I have never owned Vista. For me, the only selling point was DX10, but I didn't have a DX10 video card until now. I'm going for Win 7 as opposed to Vista right now because I hear IE is fast, and using the RC lets me have a working system without paying for an OS for a while.

lolwuut

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
Absolutely. Windows 7 has topped my list of favorite operating systems. Microsoft has really outdone themselves this time, my 7 experience has *almost* healed my Windows ME scars ;)

wcarthurii

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
If you have been using the 64bit win 7 rc, you already are pretty happy. For those of us who HAVE BEEN using xp64 or vista 64, you will feel like a kid in a candy store. Pretty much everything that didnt work in xp64, works fine in win7 64. I have had some issues with icon bitmaps disappearing, but im sure that gets fixed. Short answer, NOT GOING BACK TO XP!!

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
is Win7 RC even on DX10? Wasn't the first public Win7 release still doing DX9? I don't remember for sure so that's why I'm asking.

I will say most likely I will try it - but since I game mostly with my computer - if it's finicky like Vista is especially with the games I play then I will pass and stick with XP (which I am going back to). And there I will happily stay until some game comes along that I just really like and that is designed for Win7 or the next OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.